• Against it

Votes: 35 27.8%
  • Have no strong opinion

Votes: 17 13.5%

• Total voters

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Does anyone else think that Pres. Bush is handling this issue rather badly, esspecially when he has threateend to amend the American constitution? Speak your mind ...

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
Yes, I do. I think Bush has more pressing issues at hand than trying to outlaw gay marriages and I don't think it concerns him.

People don't choose who they fall for, it just happens. Love, or lust, doesn't discriminate against genders and I believe that as long as a relationship between two people of the same sex has the same conventionals of a man and woman relationship, there should be nothing wrong with marriage.

It's just a peice of paper anyway.

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Originally posted by melbournian
My opinion, is just get rid of marriage. Who needs it anyway? Do you really need some big ceremony to show you love someone?
That was a pointing that I was discussing with my brother yesterday. In the past marriage was a very important part of a persons life. We ge three main certficates in life; Birth, Death and Marriage. But these days divorce is common, not particularily shunned and easyily obtained. Marriage isn't exactly the important institution it once was ...

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
Originally posted by McLake
Marriage isn't exactly the important institution it once was ...
I think it was Britney Spears who taught us that. Or maybe it was Carmen Electra and Dennis Rodman. No wait, it could have been Nicolas Cage and Lisa-Marie Presley. Marriages are going great.

felix_js

lost
HSC
N/A
So George, where are those WMD's?

the sanctity of marriage is important, what's more sacred than getting drunk, meeting some stranger and getting married by an elvis impersonator in las vegas?
marriage is a sacred act between a man, a woman and the millions watching on tv

ameh

dirty trick
HSC
N/A
he wants the conservative vote!
Originally posted by felix_js
So George, where are those WMD's?

the sanctity of marriage is important, what's more sacred than getting drunk, meeting some stranger and getting married by an elvis impersonator in las vegas?
marriage is a sacred act between a man, a woman and the millions watching on tv
with reality tv, nothing is sacred.

Alexander

Gold Member
Homosexuals are mainly arguing for the legal rights assosiated with marriage, which they don't currently recieve either here or 'there' (it's sad that we know that i mean the US).
A lot of people are more offended by the fact that homosexuals insist on using the word "marriage", as it traditionally refers to husband and wife. I think they should persue another term other than marriage, because all they want is legal rights/recognition.
I think the Christian argument seems a bit piss weak, trying to justify it elsewere in the bible even though it is like the one thing the bible is specific about.

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
Originally posted by Alexander

A lot of people are more offended by the fact that homosexuals insist on using the word "marriage", as it traditionally refers to husband and wife. I think they should persue another term other than marriage, because all they want is legal rights/recognition.
Some do use the term "Life union" or "life partners". But I think it's a discriminatory to deny them the right to use the word "marriage".

felix_js

lost
HSC
N/A
i dont see why people are so opposed to it, its not hurting anyone, if thats what they wanna do to be happy and content, why should they be denied their happiness?

i voted for no opinion, as i dont care if they are or aren't allowed to get married because it won't affect me at all, just seems similar to the inter-racial marriage debate from the 50s

gman03

HSC
If gay/les marriage means lower divorce rate and higher commitment between the couple, then go for it. However in my opinion if this type of marriage is allowed then I think gay/les divorce should be classify as a crime or something. What I mean is this type of marriage should only apply to couple genuinely love each other and exclude those who want to be once-married people. I hate divorce.

btw if the gay people married, do one of them follows the other's surname as in 'mr. and mrs blahblahblah'. Also do we called married les couple mrs?:confused:

Generator

HSC
N/A
Marriage does not have to involve taking your partner's name... Nor does it have to involve the term 'Mrs'.

Iunny

Unfortunately thats not true, gay/les relationships promotes promiscuity actually. Many whose gay/les find it hard to find a life long partner. In fact, breakups among the homosexual culture is a lot more common than within the hetereosexual group

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
Originally posted by Iunny
Unfortunately thats not true, gay/les relationships promotes promiscuity actually. Many whose gay/les find it hard to find a life long partner. In fact, breakups among the homosexual culture is a lot more common than within the hetereosexual group
unless you are gay, you shouldn't say stuff like this.

well, i voted "For It". i believe that gay people's love is as legitimate as a straight person's love and it should be celebrated in the same way. however, i do understand the argument that traditionally speaking, Marriage is a "Christian" union between a man and a woman. because of that, i also find civil unions acceptable provided they are recognised the same way legally-speaking and also societally speaking. personally, i'd rather have a civil union with a guy than get married to him. i'm not christian.

either way, i am supportive of their relationships being legally recognised and encouraged, however that may manifest itself.

Iunny

sorry for that post, but I've seen statistics, that is what I got from the statistics

It was just a generalisation there are always exceptions, sorry if I offended anyone

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
Originally posted by freaking_out
*looks at above poll*, melbournian- i think ur the only one who voted "for it". :p
3 people have voted for it.

Originally posted by Asquithian
the thing is everyone here is tainted with their own personal bias which is obviously reflected with their sexual prefers...
And one of those three people was me but it doesn't reflect my sexual preference.

imsooverskool

theres a fire in my pants
HSC
everything george bush stands 4 pisses me off so his stance against gay marriage really doesnt surprise me 1 bit! i just have 1 question 2 all those who are against it, why?
they are people, they love just like staright ppl do so why shouldnt they be able 2 express in the way that hetro's can? and as for that sanctity of marriage bullshit, what a load of crap! marriage is not sacred and it hasnt been for a long while! it seems that gerogie poo and mr sheen should build a time machine and go back 2 the 50's where they belong!

If you allow homosexual marriage you must also allow basically anything you can think of in terms of a relationship to also marry (e.g. bigomy).

Marriage is, afaik, a Muslim and Christian idea (although it is not very religiously linked nowadays) and those religions do not sanction homosexuality. I don't understand why homosexuals must demand that effectively the church sanction their relationship when a state recognised civil union would give them the same benefits.

felix_js

lost
HSC
N/A
so if its a religious matter, why should bush get involved?

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
Originally posted by felix_js
so if its a religious matter, why should bush get involved?
Bush sticks his nose everywhere, despite whether it's wanted or not.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)