Votes: 35 27.8%
  • Have no strong opinion

Votes: 17 13.5%

• Total voters

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
im all for it...i mean, you love who you love, if that happens to be someone of the same gender, then why shouldnt you be able to get a bit of paper and be officially recognised by society as a couple

cro_angel

<3<3<3
HSC
lol @ ur username george w bush..
i think that he is using the whole thing to get votes from the high majority of christians in america who are homophobic..
i (being christian) believe marriage is a union between man and woman.. and hopefully to make babies in the end and keep the world going
if they did allow gay/lesbian marriages.. the next thing will be more rights for them having children (access to adoption etc) but i think kids need a male and female influence in their lives (especially with the lack of male primary teachers) and like 2 mothers or 2 fathers would be.. weird? ive never experienced it or known anyone who has so if it is a positive experience then let me know..
i think they should go for another term (whats wrong with life partners.. it means practically the same thing.. maybe introduce a life partners ceremony or something but keep marriage man and woman)..
i thought that u can change ur name legally after 18.. couldnt u just change ur last name to suit ur partners anyway
hold on.. if u marry someone of the same gender how do u decide who changes their name? do u have all bridesmaids being partners with each other or all groomsmen being partners with each other..
mmm twisted thoughts
by the way i do know 2 gay guys.. no lesbian girls though.. they are still my friends but if they want to be together they dont need a certificate saying they are together forever

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
Originally posted by hipsta_jess
im all for it...i mean, you love who you love, if that happens to be someone of the same gender, then why shouldnt you be able to get a bit of paper and be officially recognised by society as a couple
Ah, put perfectly. That's exactly how I feel.

Iunny

I do not believe that people are born to be homosexuals, i believe it is merely a choice. If that is so, why indulge yourself in homosexuality? It is not in the natural order of things, in Christianity, God created the world and gave life to a man and a woman, not just one sex and he specifically said that he gave birth to the woman so that the man would have a companion.

Putting Christianity aside, the magic of life is through the union of a man and a woman, not a man and a man or a woman and a woman.

Do you understand where I'm going from? I have nothing against gays/les, in fact, i do not feel repulse by them at all, but I just think, the union between a man and a woman signified by marriage should stay that way.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by cro_angel
i thought that u can change ur name legally after 18.. couldnt u just change ur last name to suit ur partners anyway
hold on.. if u marry someone of the same gender how do u decide who changes their name? do u have all bridesmaids being partners with each other or all groomsmen being partners with each other
the same question could be asked of man/woman marriages, i mean why the hell should i change my name (and essentially my identity) to match some guy just coz i have a gold band on my finger and a bit of paper in a box somewhere

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
Originally posted by Iunny
I do not believe that people are born to be homosexuals, i believe it is merely a choice. If that is so, why indulge yourself in homosexuality? It is not in the natural order of things, in Christianity, God created the world and gave life to a man and a woman, not just one sex and he specifically said that he gave birth to the woman so that the man would have a companion.

Putting Christianity aside, the magic of life is through the union of a man and a woman, not a man and a man or a woman and a woman.

Do you understand where I'm going from? I have nothing against gays/les, in fact, i do not feel repulse by them at all, but I just think, the union between a man and a woman signified by marriage should stay that way.
ahahahhahahaahhaah let me paraphrase your post iunny.
HOMOSEXUALS ARE GROSS. like, no offence.

the bible also said that you should be punished if you worked on the sabbath and that anyone with a physical disability should not be allowed near the altar. and women having her monthly period is "ritually unclean". have a good look at leviticus sweetie, you'll learn that you should in fact, be repulsed by homosexuals, your loving, forgiving god, creator of all, i quote, "hates that". And "If a man has sexual relations with another man, they have done a disgusting thing, and both shall be put to death. They are responsible for their own deaths." (Leviticus 20:13)

Iunny

Originally posted by melbournian
Please show me these 'statistics'. Don't pull shit out of your arse.
I'm not pulling "shit out of my arse". I got it from my christian studies class, and my teacher photocopied it from a book written by a christians who was an ex gays.

Our teacher photocopied the chapter on Christopher. He wrote of his experiences within the gay community where he indulged himself in for 15years. After 15years, he realised that the gay community has nothing to offer him he began seeking for an answer in Christianity. Then slowly he realised his sexual preference changed. He used different statistics from different books and conclusions from different books to write this chapter

THe book is called, "What some of you were", published by Matthias Media

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
oh i went to an churchy preachy school too and was also told about that book. isn't it wonderful how the testimony of a few christians constitute the way our society works.

felix_js

lost
HSC
N/A
I do not believe that people are born to be homosexuals, i believe it is merely a choice. If that is so, why indulge yourself in homosexuality?
God created everything, and God created homosexuals and God is always right

the religion argument is quite weak, other people still break commandments and whatever but they still can get married and have jobs and such

Iunny

Originally posted by Toodulu
ahahahhahahaahhaah let me paraphrase your post iunny.
HOMOSEXUALS ARE GROSS. like, no offence.

the bible also said that you should be punished if you worked on the sabbath and that anyone with a physical disability should not be allowed near the altar. and women having her monthly period is "ritually unclean". have a good look at leviticus sweetie, you'll learn that you should in fact, be repulsed by homosexuals, your loving, forgiving god, creator of all, i quote, "hates that". And "If a man has sexual relations with another man, they have done a disgusting thing, and both shall be put to death. They are responsible for their own deaths." (Leviticus 20:13)
Ok... you got me there, so I must admit i'm not too familiar with the old testament. But many laws within the old testament are added by the "teachers of the law" and these laws are already righted by Jesus. And if they are true, that means we are all sinners, which is true according to Christianity.

and on Leviticus, many, including me and you, are punishable by death, not just homosexuals. And God dislikes many of our actions, not just homosexuality

and Hey! i do not believe homosexuality is gross.

Iunny

Originally posted by felix_js
God created everything, and God created homosexuals and God is always right

the religion argument is quite weak, other people still break commandments and whatever but they still can get married and have jobs and such
God gave us a choice, and we chose the "wrong" things.

But whether they break commandments whatsoever, has nothing to do with sexual preference

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
But whether they break commandments whatsoever, has nothing to do with sexual preference
you say same-sex couples shouldnt marry as the church sees it as 'wrong', yet the church also sees envy, adultury, etc, as wrong yet they are still allowed to marry...

Iunny

Originally posted by Toodulu
oh i went to an churchy preachy school too and was also told about that book. isn't it wonderful how the testimony of a few christians constitute the way our society works.
the book itself doesn't constitue the way our society works, just reinforces it ;)

You do realise that religion is the constitute on how society works, and our society is based on the Bible. And frankly, as a female, I'm sure i love this society's laws over other ones

I guess preachy school is a bit biased

Iunny

Originally posted by hipsta_jess
you say same-sex couples shouldnt marry as the church sees it as 'wrong', yet the church also sees envy, adultury, etc, as wrong yet they are still allowed to marry...
To God, all are sinners, all are wrong. But marriage is reserved for the unity between the man and the woman, marriage is nothing to do with whether you're righteous or not

Iunny

are the naturalist arguement....

in that case I expect you never to have sex for pleasure, I expect you never to have sex without a condom, as seen as you argue the natural order of things is that sex is purely for producing babies.
But sex is not only for pleasure

I'm saying, marriage signifies the union of a man and woman where they come together as one, have sex and have babies.

If you are only having sex for pleasure, don't marry.

Iunny

Really, its no wonder the catholic church gets a bad name. When they teach you crap like that, its no wonder that so many people dislike the church.

Oh wait did anyone see the news, and the current cover up in the Catholic Church....maybe they should worry about teaching 'thy shall not molest thy child'.
I want to clear things up. Christian churches are different from Catholic's.

And just because you dislike what they teach, don't say its "crap", argue on the bases on their teachings

Really, its no wonder the catholic church gets a bad name. When they teach you crap like that, its no wonder that so many people dislike the church.
Now where are your statistics? :)

BTW, churches are humans too, so they all make mistakes, churches are not God

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
Some general thoughts for Iunny (and others)

If marriage is for coming together and making babies, what about infertile couples, or, more specifically, people who make a conscious decision not to have children? I would think that they're consciously defying "God's natural order".

You cannot, from your position, give reliable statistics on homosexuality. If a religion is consciously against something, all evidence they come up with, is going to be extremely biased.

Also: try living in the real world, where not everyone is dominated by Christian values. Do you honestly think there are not other cultures and religions where people have gotten married, or something similar?

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
Hey, buddy. Iunny, Christian churches are Christian churches. Catholicism is a Christian religion. Protestant, Uniting, Catholic, Methodist, etc, are all Christian religions and churches, as much as some of the members would like to think otherwise.
(ie my dad: those bloody catholics... hardly "christian", more "marist", but they still share our beliefs.)

HSC
Originally posted by glycerine
Some general thoughts for Iunny (and others)

If marriage is for coming together and making babies, what about infertile couples, or, more specifically, people who make a conscious decision not to have children? I would think that they're consciously defying "God's natural order".

You cannot, from your position, give reliable statistics on homosexuality. If a religion is consciously against something, all evidence they come up with, is going to be extremely biased.

Also: try living in the real world, where not everyone is dominated by Christian values. Do you honestly think there are not other cultures and religions where people have gotten married, or something similar?
:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)