Say i dont get the UAI (1 Viewer)

carpatr

HSC
Everyone always says there's heaps of ways into uni!
well i got my UAI prediction and im FUKED! its so depressing but im tryin to be positive... i wanna do a Bachelor of Science at Macquarie which is 75.55 UAI. ok say i dont get that...

how would i go about getting into Macquarie?

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
No one can give you an accurate estimate of your UAI, without your actual HSC marks.

D.

Blurg!
HSC
N/A
carpatr said:
Everyone always says there's heaps of ways into uni!
well i got my UAI prediction and im FUKED! its so depressing but im tryin to be positive... i wanna do a Bachelor of Science at Macquarie which is 75.55 UAI. ok say i dont get that...

how would i go about getting into Macquarie?
Try doing the university preparation program at tafe, or going to another less prestigious uni for 6 months to a year, then transfer with all your units.

HSC
cant you try getting through some other uni which has lower uai cut offs then transfer ?

jesuschrist

HSC
hey
if you dont get straight into the course you want to do
get into something similar at the uni you want to go to
transferring within a uni would probably be easier than transferring between unis.
Doing tertiary study puts your UAI higher, so if you get into another course do that for a year and then transfer into science.
To transfer into some courses you need a certain GPA in whatever youve been doing at that uni.
Not such a bad idea to call student admissions at the uni and they mite be able to give you clearer info hey.
The # is prolly in the UAC book. :) Despite what anal retentive teachers tell u HSC really isnt the only way to get where you want to be... good luck

zeek

HSC
HELLO HELLO STOP WITH THE DEFEATIST ATTITUDE!!!!!

You still have like 50% of your HSC to go and if you kill that you will boost your assessment marks and might be able to achieve the UAI you want... you do realise that right?

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
Non-Award is an option. So is doing another degree (with similar subjects, although not necessary) and transferring internally.

www.mq.edu.au

Spend some time at the site and try to figure it out yourself. ;)

JaredR

Save Sderot
HSC
I find using SAM to be a bit pretentious, in the sense that sometimes I am not completely honest with my marks, and the fact that I know that it can't be 100% accurate.

You still have 50% of your HSC to go, don't give up just yet.

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
youve still got your hsc exam to go, so worry about it when you get your results
in the mean time i suggest you go and study your butt off and achieve what you want to achieve
in the end, even if you don't get the UAI you want, you still need to try hard, just incase you want to transfer in the end.
They take half of your tertiary results and half of your UAI

p342i

HSC
zeek said:
HELLO HELLO STOP WITH THE DEFEATIST ATTITUDE!!!!!

You still have like 50% of your HSC to go and if you kill that you will boost your assessment marks and might be able to achieve the UAI you want... you do realise that right?
If he improves on his HSC exams then that has no consequence on his assessment marks.

[except of course, the fact that each person minimally contributes to the school average that moderates assessment marks. So therefore, each person influences in a very small way how the school goes, and therefore how they go. However the bearing each person has is so small that it is negledgeble]

Assessment marks are set with your rank. Therefore you cannot 'boost' your assessment marks, only your exam marks which contribute half.

I think that with a UAI cut off as low as that; you should be able to get it despite assessment marks IF you improve for the exams.

possum?

HSC
If he improves on his HSC exams then that has no consequence on his assessment marks.
That really depends on how big the school is. A small school would make for a greater change in his internal marks.

Tim035

HSC
Hey your in almost the same boat as me, I studied my ass off all year and had the goal of doing biomedical engineering at UNSW.
But then in both maths and pdhpe I really blew out due to exam stress. I'm worried aswell now because I was talking to my friends dad who's a uni lecturer at Sydney and he said its not just like "well I'll do this course for a year then transfer to the one I really want to do". Apparently to be able to transfer into a harder course you need to be getting awesome marks, which he said would probably involve doing all nighters on quite a few occasions.

But as others have said, keep your head high. I'm really determined now to get into band 6 in biology and also in chemistry if possible.

Say if you don't get the UAI but go really well in the prequisit subjects. Do you think you can show that to the uni and then plead to let you in the course?

N4FE

HSC
p342i said:

[except of course, the fact that each person minimally contributes to the school average that moderates assessment marks. So therefore, each person influences in a very small way how the school goes, and therefore how they go. However the bearing each person has is so small that it is negledgeble]

Assessment marks are set with your rank. Therefore you cannot 'boost' your assessment marks, only your exam marks which contribute half.

I think that with a UAI cut off as low as that; you should be able to get it despite assessment marks IF you improve for the exams.
In my knowledge, this is quite untrue. I am under the impression that you get your assesment mark, which is moderated to the standard of the rest of the state using the scores you get from the HSC, seeing as the whole state attempts the same test, at the sam time.

timobr0

Ευθήμιος
HSC
N4FE said:
In my knowledge, this is quite untrue. I am under the impression that you get your assesment mark, which is moderated to the standard of the rest of the state using the scores you get from the HSC, seeing as the whole state attempts the same test, at the sam time.
No, moderation of assessment marks has to do with student's internal rankings from your own school, not the entire state. UAI is the only thing that compares you to the rest of the state.

tennille

HSC
Tim035 said:
Say if you don't get the UAI but go really well in the prequisit subjects. Do you think you can show that to the uni and then plead to let you in the course?
Many unis still accept students if they are just below the UAI cut-off, but they managed to do well in related HSC subjects. Uusually this would happen if there are still vacancies in the course and if you just get below the UAI cut-off (once again, that depends on the vacancies).

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
hmm, im just wondering, i wanna get into B Commerce @ UNSW ... cut off is 93.00

im just wondering, i have a great business studies mark (mid-to-high 90's) and i think i'll get b6 in the exam.
im just wondering whether they'll take that into account ... i THINK i might get 90+ .. but im not sure :(
Also, im pretty good at maths too ... hopin to get B6 in 2u,,

Would that increase my chances of getting into commerce? And what's the demand like for B Commerce @ UNSW ? is it higH?? =(

and one more thing, if i don't make it into commerce and do economics [researched and found that the first year stuff are pretty similar], would i have to RE-DO the first year of Commerce?

tennille

HSC
My previous post related to a science course I got accepted into, even though I got below the cut-off. It is possible that they might accept you, but then again I don't know the demand (and of course, that'll change each year). It also depends on which univeristy you applied for.

If you get into economics and then you manage to transfer over to commerce, you may need to re-do some subjects. It depends what first year core subjects each course have. I'm sure you'd get exempted from a few of the subjects.

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
ahh k, but would i have to re-do the subjects in my own time? or would it be similar to bridging courses? like .. i do it over the holidays . .

coz i really wanna do commerce =(
oh and, when u transfer, can it be between semesters .. or does it have to be at the end of teh yeaR?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)