SC subjects (1 Viewer)

Miss Sunshine

HSC
N/A
Has your school finished teaching you the topics you need to know in all subjects for the school certificate?

Oh btw! Have you been taught the topics of:
  • Evolution? and
  • Simple Machines?

suzlee

HSC
For history, yes. I had my first history lesson of the term today and it looks like we're just gonna be doing SC revision for the next 4 weeks :mad1:

For every other subject though I think we have like a couple more topics each to learn, except English which is fully skill-based..

edit: No, my science class hasn't started either of those topics :)

rolror88

HSC
N/A
Yes.

We did evolution in term 2, and simple machines last year.

TBK11

HSC
umm we haven't covered any of that except a few sheets on evoloution i got a Big Science book with about 20 sheets on evolution thats how lazy our teacher is scans and says paste in your books and answer questions lol

Miss Sunshine

HSC
N/A
TBK11 your teacher is definitely LAZY! i hate cutting and pasting! i can never cut the paper straight :p - it gets on my nerves alot!

Do you think it would kinda be a problem if we haven't learnt those two topics and the school certificate is in 3 weeks!!! eek! Those two topics are in the SC right?

I'm in the same position as you suzlee :]

suzlee

HSC
TBK11 said:
umm we haven't covered any of that except a few sheets on evoloution i got a Big Science book with about 20 sheets on evolution thats how lazy our teacher is scans and says paste in your books and answer questions lol

wow. At least he can be bothered to scan :cool:

Miss Sunshine said:
TBK11 your teacher is definitely LAZY! i hate cutting and pasting! i can never cut the paper straight :p - it gets on my nerves alot!

Do you think it would kinda be a problem if we haven't learnt those two topics and the school certificate is in 3 weeks!!! eek! Those two topics are in the SC right?

oh :) I think we have time to cram the last bits of info in, hopefully?

Miss Sunshine

HSC
N/A
oh :) I think we have time to cram the last bits of info in, hopefully?[/quote]

grrr cramming! i wish the next three weeks were just revision without any assignments or tests.. but i guess that can only remain a wish..:mad:

suzlee

HSC
Miss Sunshine said:
grrr cramming! i wish the next three weeks were just revision without any assignments or tests.. but i guess that can only remain a wish..:mad:

haha I'm gonna be stuck in history doing pure revision for 4 weeks!!! Not preferable at all :(

aimhigh10

HSC
we've done evolution but not the machine topic.. is that being tested?

Miss Sunshine

HSC
N/A
aimhigh10 said:
we've done evolution but not the machine topic.. is that being tested?
I'm not sure, i've asked that question but no one has answered it :(

TBK11

HSC
Miss Sunshine said:

Honestly i dont think its that hard, Although my teacher may be one of those that doesn't really care about the students just wants to do his day job go home and have a smoke he scans the right pages though ;)

i wouldn't worry you can find anything u need on This forum/BOS site also have a look at the syllabus (bahh i hope that how your spell it) and focus learning whats on there as thats what will be in the test
Below Site should help you

>>>Click Me<<

Practice Makes perfection have a crack at Past papers/Online MC

This Article Should help its taken off a schools Website :) hope this info helps

The School Certificate Examination 2008

This year’s School Certificate examination will take place on Monday, 10th and Tuesday 11th November 2008. The Science School Certificate examination will take place on Monday. The School Certificate Science examination will test work from Stage 5 of the Science syllabus – that means the science work that you cover in years 9 and 10 at Hurlstone. The School Certificate test is a 2 hour formal exam with 50 multiple choice questions and written response questions worth 50 marks.

You can download the syllabus from the Board of Studies (BOS) website. The URL is
http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/syllabus_sc/index.html#science. The syllabus is a somewhat unwieldy document to read and so other important support information can be obtained from the school website and the school’s Intranet (that you can only access from networked computers at school).

Check out all the BOS school certificate information at
http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/schoolcertificate/index.html
You will need to revise work from years 9 and 10 for the School Certificate examination. If you’ve lost your notes from year 9, or you need some additional support in preparing for the SC exam, then check out the material on the school’s website or on the school intranet – details below.

To practise answering questions from the past School Certificate science tests you can download copies of these tests from
http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/schoolcertificate/sc_science.html
…or you can do the multiple choice questions on-line at
http://www4.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/go/school-certificate/science/
… and have your answers marked immediately on-line.

Miss Sunshine

HSC
N/A
TBK11 said:
Honestly i dont think its that hard, Although my teacher may be one of those that doesn't really care about the students just wants to do his day job go home and have a smoke he scans the right pages though ;)

i wouldn't worry you can find anything u need on This forum/BOS site also have a look at the syllabus (bahh i hope that how your spell it) and focus learning whats on there as thats what will be in the test
Below Site should help you

>>>Click Me<<

Practice Makes perfection have a crack at Past papers/Online MC

This Article Should help its taken off a schools Website :) hope this info helps
man are those teachers annoying! when you get those teachers it really depends on the student- whether they make the extra effort to achieve. Don't worry, you spelt it right :p Thanks! i will check out the sites! Well that was helpful! thanks :)

TBK11

HSC
Np yeh what can you do you can't rely on teachers if u wanna hit Band6 your on your own self study/self teach is the best method towards achieving your goals
practice going threw your weak points work on them make them your strong points

if you don't know anything on a topic or not much you always have one best friend to rely on "GOoGle"
Once your confident your ready to tackle the sc exams :D

Miss Sunshine

HSC
N/A
yeh definitely, agreed! we'll tackle them alright!

yeh just don't trust wikipedia-- that's sooo unreliable!

haha

well i'm off,

cya

DutchessDeluded

HSC
rolror88 said:
Yes.

We did evolution in term 2, and simple machines last year.
yeah thats the same as us...an apparently there both in SC..especially evolution cause if you look at all the past apaers there are quit a few questions bout it...evn long responses..if u hvant dun them yet its just best to do past papers...crraaaaammmmmmm!!!

speedofsound

HSC
I remember doing Evolution, but not Simple Machines. However, chances are I wasn't paying attention and/or fell asleep.

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
My science teacher said they don’t test machines in the SC anymore as for evolution we did it end of last term and now we are doing the universe and star cycle and stuff. For history its pure revision until SC. Our geography teacher is a lazy ass and just talks all lesson so its just self study. For English we're going over techniques and stuff and how to avoid tricks in the questions like always put down a technique, give an example and give an explanation. Maths it’s more self study our teacher is too lazy and fat (haha, no offence or anything but she eats a lot in class, she always has food on her table – like chocolates and chips etc… she’s more worried about eating then teaching, don’t know who made her the 5.3 teacher of our grade and we’ve been stuck with her since year nine). Computers I guess I don’t care - I’ll get 95+ anyway, our computer test will be on Friday so I might think about doing some study if I feel like it on Thursday, but I’d rather catch up on sleep lol. Other subjects like my electives and PDHPE I’ll do about 1 day of cramming for each subject and I’ll be fine.

Edit: Nah i wont study for computers, I know programming and stuff anyway, so why bother... 95+ without study HAHA, also there is no way anyone can study for it, but might go over past papers if I have nothing else to do... if not sleep haha

Last edited:

Deer

Premium Member
HSC
Yeah we've done both.
I'd suggest studying more on evolution, because it's possibly one they could ask for a short response on. Simple machines would probably only be included in multiple choice, if at all.
We're just starting on the universe now :)

In geography we still need to do population/reconcilliation.
History we've done everything.
Maths we've done everything (well, we do 5.3 so we're learning further stuff. I want to go back and revise the basics but nooo, we keep learning more and more irrelevant to SC.)
And.. what else? Oh, in english well we're just continuing with our texts, you can't really teach the skills stuff. :)

aimhigh10

HSC
so if its being tested what is simple machines all about?

suzlee

HSC
It seems like my school delayed Evolution till the last second... compared to you guys anyway

Is it much interesting? :p

Oh and I add maths to the list my completely covered subjects.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)