Scale Down? (1 Viewer)

esbe

HSC
Hey guys, I was just wondering whether doing General Maths would drag you down... :S

Is there a certain mark you have to pass inorder to be scaled up? :(
It's scary to think that I'd get scaled down for just doing General...

Thanks in advance!

PattieBoi

HSC
Hey guys, I was just wondering whether doing General Maths would drag you down... :S

Is there a certain mark you have to pass inorder to be scaled up? :(
It's scary to think that I'd get scaled down for just doing General...

Thanks in advance!
Get at least a Band 5 and you should be sweet.

Stormey

HSC
Yup, as long as you get a good mark, you should be ok. There are a few people here that got ATARs of 90+ and they did General.

It's the same for every subject, put in the effort and you'll get rewarded.

duckcowhybrid

HSC
CHRIST WHY THE FUCK DONT PEOPLE FUCKING READ THREADS FIRST BEFORE ASKING QUESTIONS

General will always scale down. Even if you get 100%, it will scale down. It will scale down to 91 if you get 100. If you get 90, it will scale down to 70 easily, if you get 80, it will scale down to like 50. You can't ever scale up in General.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Table A3: http://www.uac.edu.au/documents/atar/2009_table_A3.pdf

Shows the maximum mark for 2009 was 49.5/50, and that was scaled down to 45.3/50. Therefore, General Maths will ALWAYS scale down.

Neat table:

99 --> 90.6 scaled
94 --> 81.4 scaled
86 --> 69.6 scaled
79 --> 58.0 scaled
71 --> 41.8 scaled
62 --> 26.4 scaled

Stormey

HSC
That doesn't take into account the internal scores correct?

So can't your internal rankings still play a part on what your scaled mark becomes?

jet

Banned
HSC
Not really. If you look in the ATAR counsel forums, you will see that it is an average of the raw exam mark and school mark which is used for scaling. The school mark simply reflects your school's performance in that exam. This point is arguable however.

Stormey

HSC
Oh okay.

Using the above table, let's say:

I get 99 in the exam and my school mark is 91. Doesn't it go to 94?

I'm probably way off :p I'll go check the ATAR counsel forums

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
If you get 99 in the exam, and the school mark you receive is 91, you get 95 - the average of the two. From the table I posted, 95 'raw' (I believe is the term) will get you around about 83 scaled, or 83 aggregate points.

I believe that is correct.

Stormey

HSC
Hmm, If I want a good mark for general maths, my assessment marks and ranks have to be as high up as possible close to 100, then I'll have to get a high ass score in the HSC exam to 'negate' this scaling.

Going by the table, what mark would give 89 scaled?

PC

HSC
N/A
Well this is all well and good, but the way that this year's HSC marks will be scaled will vary from the way that last year's HSC marks were scaled. A few things to keep in mind.
1. A quick glance at the table shows me that unless you got 100% in 2 unit Maths, every mark got scaled down in that as well, not just General Maths.
2. Last year's HSC paper was quite straightforward. A good indicator of this is the proportion of the candidature that were given a Band 6 result. Usually this is between 2.5% and 4%. Last year this was around 5.5%, so quite high. In other words, a more difficult paper this year and you'll probably find that marks are not scaled by so much.
MOST IMPORTANTLY
3. Don't stress about what is outside your control. The bottom line is that you have to do the very best that you can do, starting next week. That's it. Everything else is out of your control and you can't do anything about it.

ATAR_boy

HSC
Well this is all well and good, but the way that this year's HSC marks will be scaled will vary from the way that last year's HSC marks were scaled. A few things to keep in mind.
1. A quick glance at the table shows me that unless you got 100% in 2 unit Maths, every mark got scaled down in that as well, not just General Maths.
2. Last year's HSC paper was quite straightforward. A good indicator of this is the proportion of the candidature that were given a Band 6 result. Usually this is between 2.5% and 4%. Last year this was around 5.5%, so quite high. In other words, a more difficult paper this year and you'll probably find that marks are not scaled by so much.
MOST IMPORTANTLY
3. Don't stress about what is outside your control. The bottom line is that you have to do the very best that you can do, starting next week. That's it. Everything else is out of your control and you can't do anything about it.
Actually, the '2009' Maths 2U was apparently the hardest paper they have set in over 5 years. You were referring to 2U, not general right? :confused:

ATAR_boy

HSC
Hmm, If I want a good mark for general maths, my assessment marks and ranks have to be as high up as possible close to 100, then I'll have to get a high ass score in the HSC exam to 'negate' this scaling.

Going by the table, what mark would give 89 scaled?
Don't try and work-out what raw mark will give you 89 scaled. Just aim to get into the Top 3 for 'General' Maths. Our 3U teacher made us do the HSC General maths paper in Year 11, this was supposed to be 'fun'. :rofl:

ATAR_boy

HSC
If you get 99 in the exam, and the school mark you receive is 91, you get 95 - the average of the two. From the table I posted, 95 'raw' (I believe is the term) will get you around about 83 scaled, or 83 aggregate points.

I believe that is correct.
Nice ATAR aims, Shadowdude. Go and get that FREE LUNCH!! :rofl::rofl:

Stormey

HSC
Actually, the '2009' Maths 2U was apparently the hardest paper they have set in over 5 years. You were referring to 2U, not general right? :confused:
I think he was reffering to the General paper. Some very valid points he has made.

I quickly done up a table for the Mathematics 2U course as well, similar to the one made on page 1 of this thread by shadowdude.

Here it is:

General Maths

99 --> 90.6 scaled
94 --> 81.4 scaled
86 --> 69.6 scaled
79 --> 58.0 scaled
71 --> 41.8 scaled
62 --> 26.4 scaled

Advanced Maths

100 --> 100.0 scaled
97 --> 94.0 scaled
92 --> 84.4 scaled
86 --> 75.4 scaled
77 --> 62.8 scaled
68 --> 48.4 scaled
_________

Sure, Advanced scales better, but not outstandingly better. Personally, I'd rather do general and spend more time on other subjects instead of spending the countless hours needed for myself to catch up and understand Advanced work. Consistent performance across all 5 subjects will be better then a good performance in 1 subject and an average in the rest.

Last edited:

duckcowhybrid

HSC
Mate that is outstandingly better. Not only is it easier to get 86 in 2U due to having less of the state to beat, the scaling gives you 6 more marks. That's huge.

HSC
I think he was reffering to the General paper. Some very valid points he has made.

I quickly done up a table for the Mathematics 2U course as well, similar to the one made on page 1 of this thread by shadowdude.

Here it is:

General Maths

99 --> 90.6 scaled
94 --> 81.4 scaled
86 --> 69.6 scaled
79 --> 58.0 scaled
71 --> 41.8 scaled
62 --> 26.4 scaled

Advanced Maths

100 --> 100.0 scaled
97 --> 94.0 scaled
92 --> 84.4 scaled
86 --> 75.4 scaled
77 --> 62.8 scaled
68 --> 48.4 scaled
_________

Sure, Advanced scales better, but not outstandingly better. Personally, I'd rather do general and spend more time on other subjects instead of spending the countless hours needed for myself to catch up and understand Advanced work. Consistent performance across all 5 subjects will be better then a good performance in 1 subject and an average in the rest.
What.

Stormey

HSC
Haha. Maybe it's just me who sees it that way.

I don't see the effort and time spent to get a higher mark vs the amount of scaling which increases the mark, match up. In my eyes, it's not worth it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)