Scaling for bio? (1 Viewer)

madharris

HSC
N/A
80-85 is a high band 5/low band 6 depending on the year

Safraaz

HSC
Uni Grad
alright, how about the actual scaled mark?
Last year a raw mark of 79 got you a band 6.. that is a 90.The raw mark for band 6 always changes within +-5, so I would say that a maximum of 84 this year would get you a band 6.
So if you were to get a raw score of around 80-85, I would say that u are sitting at a high band 5 - low band 6, depending on ur rank and whether you get a mid 80 raw score. So at the very least.. an 80 as a raw would get you around mid band 5 (85) and a raw score around 84/85 would get you a low band 6... (90).

^^ All that crap is called alignment... If you are talking about scaling after everything is finalised... then just go to atar calculator and see the figures urself...
generally anything over 78 for biology would scale well I think!

Last edited:

get_back23

HSC
Last year a raw mark of 79 got you a band 6.. that is a 90.The raw mark for band 6 always changes within +-5, so I would say that a maximum of 84 this year would get you a band 6.
So if you were to get a raw score of around 80-85, I would say that u are sitting at a high band 5 - low band 6, depending on ur rank and whether you get a mid 80 raw score. So at the very least.. an 80 as a raw would get you around mid band 5 (85) and a raw score around 84/85 would get you a low band 6... (90).

^^ All that crap is called alignment... If you are talking about scaling after everything is finalised... they just go to atar calculator and see the figures urself...
generally anything over 78 for biology would scale well I think!
ty buddy

iwjwamo

HSC
compared to last years exam, is this exam considered hard or easy?
also, what would a raw mark of mid 90s align to?

Safraaz

HSC
Uni Grad
compared to last years exam, is this exam considered hard or easy?
also, what would a raw mark of mid 90s align to?
Anything around 95 is a state rank... and you would expect that to align to somewhere around 98-99.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
90% in the exam aligns to a 96 in the exam, and 91% also aligns to this and is usually a state rank.

So 91%+ raw is a state rank in the top 20 (usually)

mariannebags

HSC
N/A
I don't know we're you guys are getting your raw marks from. If you are adding up your school assessment marks, then remember these are not reliable as its only the position that counts. The school will not tell you your raw assessment and neither will the hsc, everything is scaled so I'm not sure I understand what you are saying.
One schools top student might be on 79 and so get a band 6, another school might have the top 10 kids on high marks but not get any band 6s. That's why it all comes down to the hsc exam.

Menomaths

Exaı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸lted Member
HSC
I don't know we're you guys are getting your raw marks from. If you are adding up your school assessment marks, then remember these are not reliable as its only the position that counts. The school will not tell you your raw assessment and neither will the hsc, everything is scaled so I'm not sure I understand what you are saying.
One schools top student might be on 79 and so get a band 6, another school might have the top 10 kids on high marks but not get any band 6s. That's why it all comes down to the hsc exam.
We're one step ahead of you buddy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)