• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Schapelle Corby - Innocent or Gulity? (1 Viewer)

christ_ine

simply because
HSC
I think she's innocent. You can't have eyes on your luggage all the time, even if you are careful. I travelled to Europe and America for 7 weeks in Nov-Jan and I was scared shitless of having crap put in my luggage minus the fact that it was all locked up.

Naturally, everyone should have a general idea/concept of the laws in the countries they are travelling to. You're a bit stupid if you don't.

djmattyd

HSC
katie_tully said:
Ffs.

This has nothing to do with whether it is moral or not. The fact is, in Indonesia they still practice the death penalty, and any foreigner who goes there should be well aware of their rules and should abide by them.

Why should foreign people be spared the fate of an Indonesian person for the same crime? Because we don't agree with their legal system?

Tough cookies, they shouldn't have broken the law in that region in the first place.

This shouldn't turn into a debate about whether the death penalty is moral or not, as it isn't our place to tell another country what they should or should not do.

I didn't say that I think they should change the law just for her. In fact, I made sure I didn't. I simply said I didn't think killing people was moral, in any country.

roadcone

HSC
if she is guilty she is right up there as one of the stupidest people of all time.. i mean attempting to smuggle drugs into indonesia.. and the evidence that is being given is shit anyway.. it is like hearsay on hearsay

HSC
Similarly, seeing as they still seem to like killing each other in a whole bunch of countries around the world, the rest of us should sit back and chill out, because, moral or not, it's not any of our business. :rolleyes: Peacekeepers, who needs them? It's not like it's any of their business.

The fact that it's happening overseas does not affect the fact that it's seen by many people as being immoral. Why, when it's something that's happening outside our territory, are we not meant to voice disapproval? Yes it's their law, and the point being made, I think, is that a lot of people here see it as being wrong (In our opinions, of course).

Moral indifference to issues not falling inside one's own country seems to be something of a bad idea. What about issues like whaling, political oppression and all the other bad shit that various countries get up to? Everyone should just mind their own business (Ignore it)?

"Why should foreign people be spared the fate of an Indonesian person for the same crime?"

I think the point being made by most people is that they disagree with the death penalty entirely, regardless of whether it's applied to an Australian or an Indonesian, or anyone else for that matter. At least, that's certainly what I was saying, and what I interpreted the other posts which I read as saying. I don't recall one at all that said "She should get off without death penalty, for the simple reason that she's Australian. Oh by the way, an Indonesian doing the same thing should be killed.".

I realise that Indonesian justice (I'll resist the urge to put that in quotes), is shaped by vastly different stimuli which have formed my perspectives and outlooks on the world, I'm simply saying that from where I stand it's unconditionally wrong, anywhere in the world. Are our moral standpoints really meant to shift depending on what country the issue we're discussing has happened in? "Well normally I disagree with the death penalty, but seeing as it's in Indonesia and they dig that sort of thing, yeah, I'm pretty cool with it!".

Edit: Oops, long post syndrome strikes back, my bad.

Last edited:

beccaxx

surprised things change
HSC
from what i heard, my church pastor talked to this other pastor who had a missions team or something in the prison over there. she became a christian and they wer talkin to her. mark (my pastor) sed he wasnt going to say a definate either way but lots of churches hav been prayin for her release it sounds alot like she was innocent.

K

katie_tully

I still say we have no right to interefere with the way a country runs their justice system. Regardless of whether we think it is immoral.
You would all jump up and wave your arms if the Indonesians decided that they didn't like our pansy, bleeding heart liberal approach to everything, and decided to rally against our justice system.

Fact is, if she broke the law in Indonesia, she should be subject to their punishment.

However, I honestly don't see her being shot, because I think our goverment would intervene to save face with the Australian public.

djmattyd

HSC
That still doesn't change the fact that she might be shot...

Furthermore, it's the government's job to protect it's own people, so it should intervene.

Oh, and our approach is certainly not "pansy, bleeding heart and liberal", certainly not while we still have Howard cost cutting any sort of liberal policy this country has...

K

katie_tully

djmattyd said:
That still doesn't change the fact that she might be shot...

Furthermore, it's the government's job to protect it's own people, so it should intervene.
For the love of God. It isn't our governments job to intervene when one of our people decide to break the law on foreign soil!!!
I don't see the Australian government rushing to the aid of the two men in America, who robbed a bank and are facing 20 years behind American bars. Do we have a duty to intervene there too? Or is it purely because she is facing the death penalty, something we object to.

You all seem to miss the point - it is their legal system, no matter how barbaric we consider it. We are all aware of the consequences, and if we're stupid enough to break the law on foreign soil, we should be aware of the punishments that follow.

Don't forget, we still had the death penalty less than 40 years ago.

bitchgirl

University Life
HSC
she shouldnt be charged in bali, because she isnt a bali citizen, she's a foreigner
and if she's guilty, she should be charged in australia, i dont see the point of gettin' shots fired at u as the death penalty.
everyone knows the that international law overseas is harsh, death penalty??
c'mon she'll know what she'll be facing if she really did that stuff,
people set people up, real drug dealers know that kind of stuff, that how they'll get away from these things and have no remorse for the accused victim, my opinion, she's innocent.
if she is found guilty and faces the death penalty, i dont there's any point of australia having close friendship with indonesia, as australians we've done so much to help the country with everything etc, and they should let her go and bring her back to australia.

K

katie_tully

I think we're all aware that she is not guilty. If she is, she is probably one of the more stupid criminals.

Due to the fact she most probably isn't, I have no doubt our government will intervene if she is found guilty.

However, if she DID break the law, why should she be held any less accountable for her actions.

djmattyd

HSC
I'm not missing any point. I would've been against the death penalty fourty years ago too...but I was -21 when the last person was hung here.

And yes, we should be helping out any Australian, it's what our embassy in Indonesia is essentially for! (or at least should be)

roadcone

HSC
its called sovreignty.. we wouldnt want other countries coming to us telling us how we should enforce our laws, so on the same token we shouldn't be telling other countries how to treat our citizens.. it is common knowledge that if u do something overseas you are subject to their laws

djmattyd

HSC
I'm not asking the Australian government to say "DONT KILL HER!" I'm saying they should be helping her out with her trial more, like help funding it, instead of that rich guy paying for almost everything. The Australian government aren't doing enough. They should be doing more.

K

katie_tully

djmattyd said:
I'm not asking the Australian government to say "DONT KILL HER!" I'm saying they should be helping her out with her trial more, like help funding it, instead of that rich guy paying for almost everything. The Australian government aren't doing enough. They should be doing more.
By the governments money, you mean taxpayers, right?

Awesome, I'm sure people would be happy to know that their tax money is going towards helping the trial of an accused drug smuggler.

roadcone

HSC
yeah i guess thats fair enough. the only thing would be probably the fact that they dont want to be seen as the reason she gets off. also it would mean that if anything remotely like this occurs in the future then they would have to step in again to help out, it sets a fair precedent

djmattyd

HSC
Well I'm a tax payer, and I'd be glad to know we're spending our money fighting against the corruption within our own airports, fighting for the freedom of a victim of our corrupt system.

K

katie_tully

djmattyd said:
Well I'm a tax payer, and I'd be glad to know we're spending our money fighting against the corruption within our own airports, fighting for the freedom of a victim of our corrupt system.
That's not fighting corruption. Fighting corruption would be investing in airport security, drug detection, etc, etc.

And if it turns out she is guilty, money well spent?

HSC
katie_tully said:
And if it turns out she is guilty, money well spent?
Not meaning to interject, but I'd still say money well spent if it meant she didn't get the death penalty, regardless of whether she is in fact guilty or not. Then again, I've already made my opinion on this very clear, and I'd expect a lot of people who value their money differently to think otherwise. :)

djmattyd

HSC
She's innocent until proven guilty. Until then, we should be fighting for her innocence.

But then again, that's the way our legal system works, isnt it...

The only argument against it is it sets a pretty big precedent to fulfil, but, having said that, this girl is innocent, and in such an obvious case such as this one, the Australian government should make an exception.

Monkey Butler

Pray For Mojo
HSC
The Australian government has already tried to step in and get the death penalty withdrawn, assuming she's found guilty (so she'd only get life imprisonment or whatever). The Indonesian government refused.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)