• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

school captain/prefects thoughts (2 Viewers)

bettina44

HSC
its that time of the year where people try out for school captain/prefect.so are you going to try out? what's it like? advice?

i might give it a go for prefect,but i have no idea what say for my speech,arrrrgggh.

MTP

HSC
it's a popularity contest. just make sure you have ALOT of friends, that are willing to vote for you and you will be a prefect, without a doubt. But yeh, also, suck up to the teachers alot, as they also have a vote, i guess.

lol, that is how i became prefect :p

gouge.away

MonCœurS'ouvre à taVoix
HSC
N/A
it depends on what kind of system's going. at my school this f**king bitch got school captain and it was mainly because she sucked up to the teachers, because i highly doubt that she would've gotten the most votes from the student body.

for the speech, talk about what you've participated in at school and any special skillz you've got that nobody else has.

is it done by appointment or purely democratic voting?

Muz4PM

HSC
I guess it depends on what sort of system you have in place and how popular you are amongst your peers and the staff.

Basically outline an agenda that you would like to achieve during your time as captain/prefect, talk about whatever leadership experience/skills you think you have, it helps if you ahve been in and around the SRC, so you can talk about your record. Also talk about how you would be honoured to represent your peers and school to the best of your ability.

bettina44

HSC
gouge.away said:
it depends on what kind of system's going. at my school this f**king bitch got school captain and it was mainly because she sucked up to the teachers, because i highly doubt that she would've gotten the most votes from the student body.

for the speech, talk about what you've participated in at school and any special skillz you've got that nobody else has.

is it done by appointment or purely democratic voting?
voting

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
We don't have to do speeches, I don't think. =\

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
Aerath said:
We don't have to do speeches, I don't think. =\
Lucky :).

I might consider being a school captain, but I don't think I'm up for the job to be honest. There is also a body of other captains in a group at my school so I might join that :).

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
At my school, if you want to become a prefect you collect a form and you get about 3 of your friends to write a nomination form for you describing your contributions to school and what they think about you. Then the Deputy teachers collect that and they read over it and choose the top 8 to represent the school. After those elected are announced as prefects, the prefects choose who they want to be captain and vice captain.

beve

Jesus
HSC
Doctor Jolly said:
At my school, if you want to become a prefect you collect a form and you get about 3 of your friends to write a nomination form for you describing your contributions to school and what they think about you. Then the Deputy teachers collect that and they read over it and choose the top 8 to represent the school. After those elected are announced as prefects, the prefects choose who they want to be captain and vice captain.
At ours we do something called Leaders of The Future; we do extra-curricular and organisational stuff for the school (open days, parent-teacher nights etc) and at the latter end of Term 3 we all make a speech to the school about our "leadership qualities" and the students & teachers vote on the things they've seen you do for Leaders of the Future; and obviously, how good your speech was.

But meh.

e-star!09

HSC
our prefects were announced on friday, and now i am one of 25 prefects!
yay!:)

we didn't have to do a speech or anything, we just had to hand in a nomination form, and you gotta get people to second you. We also had to write a list of things that we'd been involved in while we were in highschool (i.e. school involvements and community involvements).

but, i'm beginning to regret getting it now, because my friends are all bullying me!! "what are you doing?! that's not very prefect-like behaviour" "OOo, here comes the PREFECT" TT___TT its sooo annoying!!! And now i feel as though i can't tell them to wear their uniform properly without sounding like a prick. Another one of my friends was getting "prefect punches"! haha. Yea, so hopefully everyone will get over it soon, otherwise I'll probably explode from annoyance (if that is possible xP)

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Congratulations - which school? CGHS (Something Girls High School?)

osamaelias

HSC
N/A
If your serious about being a Captain. Make sure your respected and have alot of friends. If your the person who makes fun of "the dum" , then be aware it will backfire on you.

I personally wouldnt go for it. Its a waste of time, but youll always be remebered for that year. :ninja:

e-star!09

HSC
Aerath said:
Congratulations - which school? CGHS (Something Girls High School?)
Thanx!:D
uhh, its Cheltenham Girls High School (pronounciation? everyone says it differently xP)

osamaelias said:
If your serious about being a Captain. Make sure your respected and have alot of friends. If your the person who makes fun of "the dum" , then be aware it will backfire on you.
I personally wouldnt go for it. Its a waste of time, but youll always be remebered for that year.
I'm not going for captain (*shudders* have to do this super-long speech on presentation day) or head prefect. Just being a prefect is good enough for me! xP

Last edited:

Sarah182

Herpes Member
HSC
The kid who everyone hates but the teachers love have a habit of getting captain and thats what I hate about it.
I am thinking of going to go for prefect but I am house captain at the moment which suits me just fine. On top of that I will be up against someone who sucks up so bad to the teachers.

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
e-star!09 said:
Thanx!:D
uhh, its Cheltenham Girls High School (pronounciation? everyone says it differently xP)
My sister goes Chelt as well. :uhhuh:

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
our school has this great system when
initially, everyone in your grade votes on those who nominate themselve and have been reffereed by a favourite teacher and 3 peers and inturn, end up on the ballot. teachers vote also, but they can only vote for students they have taught and/or know well. none of the 'she seems like a great kid, ill vote for her'. if they dont know you, they cant vote for you.
from that we get 10 prefects. the prefects then opt themselves into the nomination process for captain. we give a speech to our fellow student body, year advisor, deputies, and headmaster. at the same time, the voting process is repeated, instead with the ballot naming those who wish to be captain, or vice captain. same process, peers vote, teachers vote for those we know.

we then wait three friggin' weeks until the prefect body announciation ceremony, in which the captains and vcs are announced, and the whole prefect body is presented to the school and with their badges.

its a really fair system tbh

and im one of the 08 prefects. =D

sponge123

HSC
hey

i was just wondering do u rekon a person new to a school this yr has a chance of getting prefect?

and if they do get it would u think the old people (original students since yr 7) will get angry at them for it.....like they wanted to b prefect but a new person gets it instead?

thanks

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
We only elect about 10 people as prefects. I will give it a go. I think I have some support from friends and teachers.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
beve said:
At ours we do something called Leaders of The Future; we do extra-curricular and organisational stuff for the school (open days, parent-teacher nights etc) and at the latter end of Term 3 we all make a speech to the school about our "leadership qualities" and the students & teachers vote on the things they've seen you do for Leaders of the Future; and obviously, how good your speech was.

But meh.
It wouldn't be that hard would it?

I don't think we are doing speech. If I were to make one I would like to propose some kind of academic program where some people can volunteer to stay after school and help others and vice versa. I usually stay after school and help some of my mates with maths and others. I would really implement that scheme into real practise because I am already aware of the fact that there are tonnes of people in my year stressing because of their academic progress.

Some of my closest mates also like that idea and they are all nerdy enough to help me. So that's good. lol

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
sikhman said:
wow....our selection process involves an interview with the headmaster and rankings by teachers....no voting etc..

but captains have to give lots of speeches :)
Yeah, that system is better, I guess.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)