• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

School Certificate to be scrapped (1 Viewer)

xclusv2bhung

sexier than neha x10000
HSC
the leader said:
What will the kiddies have as motivation in year 10 (admit it, the SC is/was a decent source of motivation)? They're gonna go straight from bludging to their Prelim year :confused:
i noe aye !
what the hell ..
at least the SC kinda prepares em for whats comin up ahead.
a yr 9 exam without anything in the middle for yr 10 ... that`s rather .. stupid of whoever thought of it.
god .. gime a break.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
The article doesn't confirm when this will happen and, as a teacher I can assure that it won't happen overnight.

To implement a new syllabus - and a national exam will require a national syllabus - will probably require a one to two year lead in time.

I wouldn't expect this to happen before 2009.

As for not having anything before Prelim - that is the case now in every other state in Australia. NSW students have more pressure and more testing done than the rest of the country - now all students will be tested equally.

In addition students who change states - estimated at around 90,000 (or more than the entire HSC cohort in a given year) per year across the country - will have the same courses.

There are probably more positives than negatives in this situation.

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
Testpilot said:
I wonder if this is a step towards a national certificate?
My thoughts exactly.

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
Come on guys. The school certificate was nothing much but overrated
It doesn't determine which subjects you can and can't do (in most cases).
It doesn't determine which university courses you can and can't do.

Besides, the state govt's would never, ever want Johnny's education plans in their states.

missAy

HSC
the leader said:
This entire forum will be made redundant...
Whatever will be next?
Compulsory fitness testing and bans on junk food to combat obesity...woops they already have the 'healthy canteen policy,' I miss my starburst and mentos.

drynxz

I..solated..ated..ated
HSC
hmm i think scraping the sc is pretty useful cause gonna be scrap neways for people doing the HSC.

dr baby beanie

*is so happeeeeee!!!*
HSC
drynxz said:
hmm i think scraping the sc is pretty useful cause gonna be scrap neways for people doing the HSC.
I disagree coz the SC is like the first major standardised state wide test before the HSC and knd of prepares you for the HSC. It gives an indication of where you're at and where your strong points are compared to everybody else in the state, it sort of helped me pick my subjects. And yes the SC is going to be scrapped for those doing the HSC but what about those not going on further, the SC for them was more like our HSC. I'd rather take the SC in one go then have it come around in a 3 year cycle.

Also like many people have said all the extra tests will just add extra pressure on kids younger and takes away from the school experience.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Wait a minute, if the HSC is not immediately affected by scrapping the SC, then does that mean obtaining this "exit certificate" will be the new prerequisite for the HSC? So we will still have a "HIGHER" School Certificate but will no longer have just a lower level 'School Certificate'....lol.

I don't think the School Certificate should be scrapped. If there is no external exam (particularly in numeracy and literacy) in Year 10, then everyone can just bludge their way through the final year of compulsory schooling. Those who will leave school after Year 10 aren't going to be well equipped with the basic skills if they are not checked upon and assessed in Year 10. Also, having to sit an official nationwide external exam every two years is pretty darn stressful for the average academic student, particularly if you're doing it along with over 200 000 students across Australia in your grade lol.

With regards to the HSC, I'm personally on Tebbutt's side because NSW has one of the highest standards in the nation, particularly with English and Mathematics. Mathematics Extension 2 in particular, has not been matched in difficulty and academic rigour by any other high school mathematics course across the entire nation. If they're going to have a national exam, the standards should be raised on par or above with those of NSW, but the problem is that most states are not likely to keep up.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Trebla said:
If they're going to have a national exam, the standards should be raised on par or above with those of NSW, but the problem is that most states are not likely to keep up.
I agree with that :uhhuh: Would universities also then have a nationalised way of deciding who's gonna enrol as well?

HSC
N/A
Yesterday the Daily Telegraph announced that the SC will be scapped and repeated this today. However, yesterday a DET representative went onto 2GB and denied this. Channel 9 also ran a similar story denouncing the Daily Telegraph's claim. This denial was also published in today's Sydney Morning Herald.

It should be said that the report was commissioned by the NSW DET to be done by George Cooney and this report has not yet been released. Carmel Tebbutt said she will release it next week. The Govenment will decide if the SC will continue, not Ceorge Cooney, and NOT THE DAILY TELEGRAPH.

So far the Government have said they won't be scrapping the SC.

Here are the more balanced articles in the SMH:

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/failing-students-face-loss-of-hsc/2007/01/10/1168105052379.html

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national...ormal-exit-plan/2007/01/10/1168105052388.html

Last edited:

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
Ahahahaha. The DT's a fucktard.

HSC
N/A
No final decision has been made. How can the DT claim that a decision has been made when the report hasn't even been released yet? It's a headline that sells papers. At best, that's all it is, at worst, a deliberate lie.

And the DT is guilty of lying too. Remember the 1996 Mount Druit HS "failing" the HSC with all UAI "marks" below 50? UAI Marks? .................. UAI MARKS????????????

The DT knew that the UAI is not a mark, yet they ran with that story anyway because that LIE was a headline that sells papers.

Murdoch's wallet will continue to influence journalistic integrity at News Pty. Ltd. and the DT will probably continue to publish lies that sell papers to continue to fatten Murdoch's wallet. This is not a healthy basis upon which to base your education and it should not determine government policy nor should it determine what happens in schools.

Last edited:
HSC
N/A
At least they got it right.

We need to wait for the release of the Cooney report and the Government response to it, and not merely rely on media stories.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)