• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

School Chaplaincy (1 Viewer)

What do you think of school chaplaincy

• Its a bad idea

Votes: 54 62.8%
  • Its a good idea

Votes: 32 37.2%

• Total voters

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
Miles Edgeworth said:
How is it not condoning slavery if it isn't explicitly condemning it?
God allowed the Jews and many other groups to be enslaved all throughout history according to the bible , did he not?
Still not 'YAY slavery' though :)
Also doesnt neccessarily mean God has the same attitude towards the enslaved that the enslavers have.

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
Miles Edgeworth said:
How is it not condoning slavery if it isn't explicitly condemning it?
Just because it does not say he is condeming it does not mean he is condoning it.

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
Exphate said:
Don't worry, I'm not updating the New Testament, I'm creating the "Modern Testament". Cannon does not specifically outlaw the creation of a seperate testament. Nor does it say that I can not create a new bible (The Qu'ran anyone? b10)

Waiting.
sorry didn't notice the post,

what about it?

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
Exphate said:
You responded to the post once already (having quoted it, but only taken note of 1 line), but haven't noticed it? This post has a link to an article on the topic of Moses' encounter with God, and the noting of the Ten Commandments.

Read it and respond.
I do not think that he was on drugs.

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
Miles Edgeworth said:
Admit that you pulled that out of your arse, please? :D
no the article suggested that moses was on drugs at the mountain and during the burning bush, I don't think he was.

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
Exphate said:
False. It does not say "on drugs", it said under the influence of a hallucinagin.
Actually it says:

Moses Was High on Drugs, Israeli Researcher Says

l Time and Mind, he claims Moses was probably on psychedelic drugs

was a drug-fueled hallucination,

squeenie

And goodness knows...
HSC
All right. I'm going to take on the part of the Devil's Advocate here and speak in favour of Christainity. Just this once.

Yes, the Bible is meant to be the Word of God, etc, etc. BUT, do you think it was really meant to be taken literally? In the times that the Bible was written, stories and analogies were often used to educate the masses. When something is put into a certain context, it is often eaiser to understand. Think of Jesus and his parables. The stories in the Bible may have only intended to have been an attempt to explain the values/beliefs/etc of Christianity, in such a way that it can be easily understood. That doesn't mean that they have to be taken literally.

As my Studies of Religion teacher once put it, the Bible was probably intended to be a 'manual' on how to go about living a Christian life. It wasn't intended to be an accurate historical record of anything.

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
squeenie said:
All right. I'm going to take on the part of the Devil's Advocate here and speak in favour of Christainity. Just this once.

Yes, the Bible is meant to be the Word of God, etc, etc. BUT, do you think it was really meant to be taken literally? In the times that the Bible was written, stories and analogies were often used to educate the masses. When something is put into a certain context, it is often eaiser to understand. Think of Jesus and his parables. The stories in the Bible may have only intended to have been an attempt to explain the values/beliefs/etc of Christianity, in such a way that it can be easily understood. That doesn't mean that they have to be taken literally.

As my Studies of Religion teacher once put it, the Bible was probably intended to be a 'manual' on how to go about living a Christian life. It wasn't intended to be an accurate historical record of anything.
oh parables are a parables there not to be taken literally, the rest is though i think.

squeenie

And goodness knows...
HSC
Miles Edgeworth said:
Tell that to the fundies.
What? You don't think I haven't already tried that?

Trying to reason with a fundie is like trying to assault a brick wall. Often, they fail to give way.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
Exphate said:
English please.
there are parables that are not meant to be taken literally, e.g. the ones jesus uses

however, everything in the bible that is not explicitly presented as a parable is meant to be believed literally as an accurate depiction of history/the universe

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
squeenie said:
What? You don't think I haven't already tried that?

Trying to reason with a fundie is like trying to assault a brick wall. Often, they fail to give way.
minus calling me a fundie i take that as a compliment.

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
Captain Gh3y said:
there are parables that are not meant to be taken literally, e.g. the ones jesus uses

however, everything in the bible that is not explicitly presented as a parable is meant to be believed literally as an accurate depiction of history/the universe
exactly parables were a teaching tool that jesus uses.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
Townie, where is Townie.

My forensic psychologist in training friend is convinced emytaylor is insane.

Second opinion?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)