Votes: 54 62.8%
  • Its a good idea

Votes: 32 37.2%

• Total voters

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
Captain Gh3y said:
it's funny because half the ppl here 'against religion' probably know moar about it than you do :eek:
how can an athiest know more about christianity then a christian?

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
emytaylor164 said:
ok i see your point, but there is things that only talking to another christian will help, like i said, there is stuff i will only talk to christians about.
Yeah the census says the majority of aussies are christian but there is a difference between claiming to be a christian and actually been a christian
if you believe there's far less xtians in aus than there seems to be
then you should agree there's very little reason to have chaplains
since most people don't follow your particular interpretation of christianity (which from what i can gather is some random dude told you about jesus and you arbitrarily decided to believe every word of the bible literally) therefore according to you they're not real christians anyway
unless ur aim is to have the state convert people which is, of course, unconstitutional

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
Miles Edgeworth said:
I know far more about the history, content and spirituality of Catholicism, Protestantism, Baptists and all that than you ever will...
what did you read a book about it, you may about the history, but i know alot about catholicism, and protestantism that you couldn't get out of a book having experienced both in my life.

wikiwiki

Fear and Trembling
HSC
emytaylor164 said:
i know alot about catholicism, and protestantism that you couldn't get out of a book having experienced both in my life.
Oh Please father Riley, please don't touch me down there, please Father Riley, don't put your pinky in my hoo hoo. Please, I protest!

Yep, you sure do know heaps about protestantism and catholicism :p

edit: You keep protesting against your Priest, girly. Someone might hear your screams.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
I read people, not books

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
Miles Edgeworth said:
I was raised a catholic for 18 years. Did SoR at my school and topped the 2U Class. Read history, etc. etc. Know a shitload about protestants.
grew up catholic for for about 14 years, I am now protestant after seeing the different beliefs and what one i believe to be correct.

coming very highly in SOR, i know my stuff i am just crap at writing. I always top the christianity part of the exam though

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
emytaylor164 said:
grew up catholic for for about 14 years, I am now protestant after seeing the different beliefs and what one i believe to be correct.

coming very highly in SOR, i know my stuff i am just crap at writing. I always top the christianity part of the exam though
um

what exactly about protestantism is better than cath, in your opinion...

wikiwiki

Fear and Trembling
HSC
I'm enrolling in a seminary next year. I read Greek and Latin, and theological texts in French, German, and Greek. My personal library of theological texts numbers approximately 420 works.

I WIN.

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
katie tully said:
um

what exactly about protestantism is better than cath, in your opinion...
i mean in-terms of what lines up with the bible.

wikiwiki

Fear and Trembling
HSC
I'm only going to say this once. If you cannot read Greek and have not read the Early Church Fathers then you cannot say in any way, shape, or form, that you have studied Christianity. If you disagree with the founders of the Christian Church - that is, the Greek Orthodox Catholic and Apostolic Church, then you are a heretic. It is as simple as that.

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
wikiwiki said:
I'm only going to say this once. If you cannot read Greek and have not read the Early Church Fathers then you cannot say in any way, shape, or form, that you have studied Christianity. If you disagree with the founders of the Christian Church - that is, the Greek Orthodox Catholic and Apostolic Church, then you are a heretic. It is as simple as that.
so are you saying that it is wrong to interpret the bible? and to not agree with church teaching if it does not line up with the book, it is suppose to be based on.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
emytaylor164 said:
so are you saying that it is wrong to interpret the bible? and to not agree with church teaching if it does not line up with the book, it is suppose to be based on.
In short, yes that's what he's saying

wikiwiki

Fear and Trembling
HSC
emytaylor164 said:
I am saying that it is wrong to reinterpret Christianity without having a very good knowledge of Greek and of Early Christianity. I find it absurd that you could possibly think that your views are more correct than those of the early Christians, particularly the disciples of Christ.

What possible reason could you have for saying that you understand the bible better than they do?

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
wikiwiki said:
I am saying that it is wrong to reinterpret Christianity without having a very good knowledge of Greek and of Early Christianity. I find it absurd that you could possibly think that your views are more correct than those of the early Christians, particularly the disciples of Christ.

What possible reason could you have for saying that you understand the bible better than they do?
I am not but what i believe tends to match up with the early church (I am talking Paul type early) which is shown through acts and the various epistles.

wikiwiki

Fear and Trembling
HSC
emytaylor164 said:
I am not but what i believe tends to match up with the early church (I am talking Paul type early) which is shown through acts and the various epistles.
Paul founded the Orthodox Church and was one of the major leaders. He is one of the Fathers of whom I spoke. Nevertheless, I cannot accept that you can place yourself in a position to reject or believe in certain Early Fathers without believing consistently and completely in the original codifications of the Christian Church.

To do so seems irrevocably dangerous from a theological perspective because each alteration takes man one step further away from the teachings of Jesus Christ.

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
wikiwiki said:
Paul founded the Orthodox Church and was one of the major leaders. He is one of the Fathers of whom I spoke. Nevertheless, I cannot accept that you can place yourself in a position to reject or believe in certain Early Fathers without believing consistently and completely in the original codifications of the Christian Church.

To do so seems irrevocably dangerous from a theological perspective because each alteration takes man one step further away from the teachings of Jesus Christ.
how did he found the orthodox church.
It was all one church until the great schism then the orthodox church was founded, they were not reffered to as the orthodox church.

I have no doubt that the early church was built on rock-solid foundations but the catholic church today is a different story.

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
Captain Gh3y said:
at this point (when you bring up greek etc. scholarship) the fundies usually resort to the "KJV only" thing
I read NIV, and i think that there is only one inconsistancy in that, well one that i know of.

wikiwiki

Fear and Trembling
HSC
emytaylor164 said:
how did he found the orthodox church.
It was all one church until the great schism then the orthodox church was founded, they were not reffered to as the orthodox church.

I have no doubt that the early church was built on rock-solid foundations but the catholic church today is a different story.
The Orthodox Church was founded as the original church, and the Catholic Church is the split by the Archbishop of Rome from the authority of the Archbishop of Constantinople. You should be well aware that Constantine established Constantinople and it was Constantinople which became regarded as the primary See.

Thus we have the Greek Orthodox Catholic and Apostolic Church, and then the later Roman Catholic split. Don't embarrass yourself by arguing otherwise.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)