School rank v HSC marks (1 Viewer)

billiton

HSC
N/A
what happens if you have really good ranks for school, like 1st and second in subjects
but.... u stuff up your hsc?
is it just bad luck?

adnan91

HSC
Either u freaked out in the exam or somthing like that. Or you skool/cohort is crap

untitled....

HSC
This has inevitably been asked on numerous occasions but I was wondering if you have a small year 12 (mine has 27 students) and you come 1st, 2nd or 3rd, would it still be good for your marks?

Oh and I have a class of 3 for biology but they have failed the subject last year and don't really care about their marks, will that have a large impact on my mark?

rugbybogan

HSC
yeah if your year is crap, no matter how good you are they will bring you down

danz90

HSC
ianc said:
if you are ranked first, then your HSC Mark will be simply determined by the top HSC Exam mark from your cohort (which, hopefully, should be your HSC Exam Mark)
well your moderated assessment is determined by the top exam mark if you're ranked first. but then again, the first ranked person will most likely attain the top exam mark in their cohort anyway.

untitled....

HSC
Ive got a pretty specific question now. Im considering dropping maths extension one although i get pretty good marks because im scared that when we start the actual 3 unit stuff ill have difficulty, although there are many bright kids in my class most of them are not quite as smart and (although i might sound up myself) i think i might top the 2 unit class if i drop down. What i really want to know is, is the scaling of 3 unit that good?

dolbinau

HSC
danz90 said:
well your moderated assessment is determined by the top exam mark if you're ranked first. but then again, the first ranked person will most likely attain the top exam mark in their cohort anyway.
This should ideally be the same for all rank positions though, so really if everyone trys their best at school+external exams it doesn't matter what school you go to {unless quality of teaching is crap}, you shouldn't be disadvantaged.

Ive got a pretty specific question now. Im considering dropping maths extension one although i get pretty good marks because im scared that when we start the actual 3 unit stuff ill have difficulty, although there are many bright kids in my class most of them are not quite as smart and (although i might sound up myself) i think i might top the 2 unit class if i drop down. What i really want to know is, is the scaling of 3 unit that good?
Yes. I think you could keep it for a little while longer unless your marks are abysmal (<30%), I find it helps me A LOT with 2u. Not necessarily because the work is different, but extra practice + difficulty makes 2u seem easy in comparison..

Caitlin63

:-)
HSC
untitled.... said:

If you're doing 3 unit not 4 unit you do the 2 unit course anyway... so you can still top it without dropping. Infact you have more chance of topping while staying in 3 unit.

Chibios

is totally a-MUSE-d!
HSC
I think that in the end what ultimately matters is the HSC mark because my year advisor explained to me that the school ranks are modulated to the HSC ranks/marks since each school has a different grade of difficulty in assessments.

Case Study:

I went to Sydney Girls and for most of the assessments the average was really low (like 76 for the Chem Trial) but in the HSC something like 8o something % get Band 6.

Really hoping that gets applied to 4 unit maths *fingers crossed*

nicko1990

p-plater
HSC
yeah they take the highest mark, lowest mark and total number of marks, and distribute school assesment marks depending on both your rank and spread between marks. so effectively, in a class of 3, rank1 gets the highest ranked external mark, rank 2 gets 2nd highest external mark and so on. a bit more complicated if there are heaps of people in the class.

inter108

HSC
HSC is you against the State.

School is you against your class LOL

So yea you do the math.

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
theyre weighted equally.
in terms of your over all mark, the HSC exam is probably more 'important' because you're taking a standardised test, the same as everyone else, rather than just against your grade peers.

Almatari

HSC
N/A
Of course HSC mark!
Not only does it contribute half to your UAI, doesn't it determine the amount your school component is scaled.
So if your rank is low, but everyone at your school does well in the exam, you'll probably still get a good scaled mark.

Zephyrio

HSC
The HSC exam is more important because your internal assessment marks depend on how well you (and your peers) do in the external exam.

addikaye03

The A-Team
HSC
don't be lead into misinterpretation, just becausde someone is ranked first in a subject ( e.g. internal mark of 93.8), 2nd rank can still obtain a higher HSC mark with an internal of say 93. For instance, last year at my school the girl ranked first in mathematics obtained a HSC mark of 93, where the guy ranked second got a HSC mark of 98. The higher the students ranks the less deviation they undergo due to their cohort. Top 3 ( if close to first, gap wise) will not be limited to a range of HSC marks when entering the HSC. IF, they go shit, they might be pulled up a bit, but not downward

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)