SDD Major Project Ideas (1 Viewer)

ze_dragon

im doing my hsc now, and have already had mine marked, DONT do what i did

i wrote a java network server, and an associated client in flash that would run a complex chat system with rooms, user status, lots of text based comands, a very clean server that ran each client in its own thread to improve performance, the server had lots of monitoring options such as chat logging, information on connected clients, plus the client and server were built to be expandable to host games, basically my own msn...my teacher said my documentation was the best in the class too ^_^ i wrote more code than anyone else, and u kno what i got? 81 and the only reason i was given was that i didnt achieve what i had hoped in my stated brief :S had i dummed down my brief i wouldve pwned it, but because i was critical of my own work, i got owned... my teacher is a dumbass, i dunno if what happend was fair or not but ill pay for it in my hsc,

BE SURE TO ACHIEVE YOUR GOAL!

schlagzeuger

I made an online photo gallery that lets you upload, give details, categorise, edit/delete, display with auto-generated thumbnails, allow only authorized users to make changes to the gallery, etc. I used PHP and MySQL. I got 99% for it.. the only mark lost was because I didn't quote websites properly in the bibliography *grr*

BTW, I'm in yr 12 at the moment (2 exams to go :D)

@ze_dragon, wow.. that sounds pretty complex

Last edited:

aaaman

Banned
HSC
ze_dragon said:
im doing my hsc now, and have already had mine marked, DONT do what i did

i wrote a java network server, and an associated client in flash that would run a complex chat system with rooms, user status, lots of text based comands, a very clean server that ran each client in its own thread to improve performance, the server had lots of monitoring options such as chat logging, information on connected clients, plus the client and server were built to be expandable to host games, basically my own msn...my teacher said my documentation was the best in the class too ^_^ i wrote more code than anyone else, and u kno what i got? 81 and the only reason i was given was that i didnt achieve what i had hoped in my stated brief :S had i dummed down my brief i wouldve pwned it, but because i was critical of my own work, i got owned... my teacher is a dumbass, i dunno if what happend was fair or not but ill pay for it in my hsc,

BE SURE TO ACHIEVE YOUR GOAL!

hahahahahaahahahahahahhaha you have just got my label of you as a TOOLBOX

Cobra

Ouch, oww, Ouch! owww....
HSC
aaaman said:
hahahahahaahahahahahahhaha you have just got my label of you as a TOOLBOX
lol, aren't you nice :p Im just going to do a simple "ask a maths question" program. documentation is the most important thing.

sunny

meh.
HSC
It would depend on what features you want to implement, how fancy you want it to be, what language you want to do it in and what language you're actually familiar with.

Making a text editor would be easy if you just make a notepad clone, but making a text editor with the features of MS Word would be hard.

AntiHyper

Revered Member
HSC
You can have a look at what these people did to program a scientific calculator "Calc By Step".
It's in Pascal tho which is great to understand it's algorithm (since pascal is very similar to the standard pseudocode).
Just install it and the source codes will be in the folder named "Sources" and open up the *.pas with any text editor.

pungemo

HSC
The idea I'm currently developing is a secure data storage and transaction system. It runs up to 256 bit, triple layer, randomly-generated unique key encryption. The key itself is encrypted using a hardwired algorithm which also contain random elements. I'm currently working on the server-side system and I'm considering installing a rudimentary chat system to facilitate transfer.

Disease

Retro Rocket
HSC
I'm doing a website for my music teacher's band. The main SDD section of it though is the JavaScript menu system.

pungemo

HSC
timobr0 said:
i don't even have a major project....
Are you saying that you haven't decided on what you want to do, or are you saying that your school is bucking the syllabus and not setting one?

Disease said:
I'm doing a website for my music teacher's band. The main SDD section of it though is the JavaScript menu system.
That's probably a good idea. It would definately be best to use Javascript or PHP because HTML is not really a programming language. A javascript menu should work quite well for the project as the coding isn't too difficult and the functionality is rather intuitive. Documenting its use and implementation should be quite easy. Perhaps you could consider source code protection or a php 'buy music' section for extra functionality?

timobr0

Ευθήμιος
HSC
Our teacher is not setting one. It's in our assessment booklets but I don't think the teacher knows what he is doing. We haven't done any programming. All we do is copy notes off the board. Our latest assessment (handed in last week) was an essay on copyright, which has nothing to do with what we are learning now, that's part of the first topic which we studied term 4 last year. He also teaches IT VET and my mates that do that subject tell me all they do is MS Word exercises. So yeah, SDD, for me, is not what I expected it to be.

Last edited:

priesty

formerly wm_abusef
HSC
that sounds very very screwed.

neways that website idea sounded cool, but our teacher probably wouldnt let us do anything like that coz he'd say it's too easy. we have most people in our class making checkers, battleship, tanks, soccer, maths tutors and games.

i myself am creating a language tutor for the Coptic Language. (an ancient Egyptian language) :D YAY!

oh and our one is due in two weeks... shit! :(

pungemo

HSC
Personally wanting to get into the games industry I know the temptation of making a game. However to make a game of high standard takes WAY too much time for the assignment. Making a small game like battleship, checkers or chess is too easy and is over-done. Language translation sounds interesting though, look forward to you posting a finished copy :)

BTW, are you taking an analytical or direct approach to the translation? Are you creating algorithms to exam context and syntax or just having a word-for-word translation? (I'm not sure the first one is possible to do in a year ;P)

hyparzero

BOS Male Prostitute
HSC
create an algorithm to create a game which predicts the number someone is going to pick.

priesty

formerly wm_abusef
HSC
a language tutor, not a language translator... hehehe

the tutor will TEACH you a language that previously you may never have heard of before. :) It will focus on reading and writing and basic vocab and understanding as the uses fo the Coptic Language are now primarily for reading and writing only. (most Coptic communities only use it in ancient traditional things for reading and writing purposes)

Neways, ill post a co[py up soon for BETA testing :D

pungemo

HSC
That'll learn me to post things at 12:30 in the morning. A tutor definately sounds good too. What sort of features will it include? (such as ability to explain certain aspects in more depth or in simpler terms if it is posing difficulty) I think everyone should post their projects for beta testing as long as their comfortable with it. There is the issue of someone copying it, but hopefully that can ba avoided in order to further each person's achievement.

pungemo

HSC
Having found no way to tie in this project with my Extension 2 major work, I have finally decided on an idea. I'm creating a fairly simple but powerful text encrytion program. It offers up to 1024-bit encryption, multi-table capabilities, character resequencing, public key encryption and various other settings. Sounds really complicated but its actually quite easy.

X

xeuyrawp

wm_abusef said:
i myself am creating a language tutor for the Coptic Language. (an ancient Egyptian language) :D YAY!
Wow, I would love to see that.

I assume it'll be Sahidic?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)