Section 1, Part B - Short Answer (1 Viewer)

HSC
I also said that the mother, father and husband could be carriers. This would mean that the sons would each have a 50% chance of inheriting the disease.
I don't think father and husband are carriers, cos in the question it says that it is not sex-linked. And carriers are only 4 sex-linked diseases

cartoonmaiz

HSC
N/A
The mother {female} and sons {males} have the trait. The mother only has sons, so we can't say it's sex-linked. If she had a daughter, maybe she would also have the trait. thus, it can't be conclusively said that it's sex-linked
The woman's mum and dad don't have the disease, but she has it. therefore, parents are both Tt <<meaning dominant= no trait and recessive=trait
Did you have to say that. I only mentioned the second bit about the dad not having the disease.

desmol

HSC
I don't think father and husband are carriers, cos in the question it says that it is not sex-linked. And carriers are only 4 sex-linked diseases
Carriers can also refer to heterozygous dominant genotype (in this case, carrying the recessive gene but not expressing it, allowing it to be passed on to the next generation)

Boonyak

HSC
I said it was rececive, since the mothers parents didnt have the disease and she did, and not sex linked since, she has it and her sons do. :S

hsc2012la

HSC
For the 8 marker did people just recount Pasteur's experiment and mention that it showed that microbes caused disease, list koch's postulates and mention that this enabled the cause of a particular disease to be found and connected to the disease and for Burnet did you just touch on the immune response and how memory cells are formed which makes vaccines possible...
I didn't really recount his experiment just a brief sentence of what he did and how it showed that microbes caused disease which leads to the development of the germ theory => personal hygiene practices, gave examples
and then for koch's postulates i did the same as you and by being able to detect which microbe caused the disease = protection
burnet = discussed the clonal selection theory = gave a deeper understanding of the immune system = introduction of vaccinations of weakened strains of diseases (pastuer carried this out as well with small pox, inoculated sheep? idk with cowpox) = prevention of diseases
I hope it's enough for 8 marks.

febebebe

HSC
how many marks do u rekon ill get for the 8 marker: i did great talking about koch and pateur (haha even said to a friend last night, "i pray the long question is one them",talked about their theories and work etc, and with burnet, i didnt talk about his actual theory, but about how he knew about memory cells and the immune response, and if you give an attenuated part of a pathogen to someone it will promote the poruction of memory cells, etc. do u rekon i can get a 7/8? even i i didnt spcifically say his theory...

cartoonmaiz

HSC
N/A
I thought that the question said explain why it is recessive instead of being sex-linked. I said that it was impossible for it to be sex-linked as if it was the father must have the allele for it to pass it on to the woman, however if he did he would show the disease. Because he doesn't show it can't be sex-linked.
If it was recessive and IF the mother and father were carriers for the disease, then the woman can show the disease. If the husband was a carrier then their children could have it. Because the trait is recessive, not sex-linked, even if the husband was a carrier he wouldn't show the disease.

rustybicycle

HSC
N/A
For the sex linkage question I noted
-in the offspring of unaffected parents (regardless of carrier status) only males may be affected
-therefore as there is an affected female in gen 2 produced from the unaffected parents in gen 1 it can definitely not be sex linked inheritance

TheOptimist

__̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲
HSC
Uni Grad
how did you guys answer the epidemiology question?
sample size should have been bigger/in his questionarre the questions should have had a covered a broad spectrum of the inidivuald's life i.e. socioeconomic status, other illness etc/should have been carried out over a longer period of time/should have crosschecked with members of the scientific community rather than publishing it with immediacy/ etcetc can't remember what else

cartoonmaiz

HSC
N/A
I wrote it in the form of advantages:; disadvantages:... For advantages I said that it had a control, variables were kept constant, any pre-existing diseases that could affect the results were checked
For disadvantage I said that the sample size was too small, he didn't really conduct the experiment over a long period of time and incidents of lung cancer was not recorded (this on I don't think I should've put but it was only like 5 words long so... I hope they ignore it if it is wrong... lol)

wilsondw

HSC
sample size should have been bigger/in his questionarre the questions should have had a covered a broad spectrum of the inidivuald's life i.e. socioeconomic status, other illness etc/should have been carried out over a longer period of time/should have crosschecked with members of the scientific community rather than publishing it with immediacy/ etcetc can't remember what else
WOOTZ THX!!! i got put off by the word analyse lol

HSC
N/A
i also questioned the relevance of the questions asked, and the fact he took some people out. It screwed up the male/female ratio by taking it out

cartoonmaiz

HSC
N/A
I thought that taking people out wasn't a problem... the control group and the smoking group have to be the same don't they?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)