Section 3 (1 Viewer)

HSC
section three i didnt find too bad, i thought it was the best part of the exam...i wrote 6 pages on it...the only problem was that my bloody english teacher only ever talked about the Ivory Trail...so thats all i knew from the stimulus booklet...and i didnt know how to fit it in...damn it, lol other than that...this section was great!

simonelye

Simone.
HSC
Okay,
So section Three was perfectttttttttt =]
i was stoked.
Our teacher prepared us perfectly =]
He's a champpppp
=]
he focused on physical journeys and challenges/obstacles
They are pretttyy much the same as detours
So i just manipulated my essay a bit =]
Filled 2 exam booklets.
And yes my writing is slightly large.
But i prepared a 1600 word essay,
and remembered most of it in the exam,
taking 45 minutes..

So i think sometimes you can write lots and it be gibberish.
but this was prepared and marked and everything.
so i guess we'll see when the marks come out.
And everyone has different size writing and also different speeds of writing.

I was happy with the exam
excepet section one

=]

Steth0scope

HSC
N/A
not to get your hopes down or nething but i cant see how the question was about obstacles... that's my view neway

The question is about the unexpected detours that occur in/after a journey. A detour is a transition, a movement, a change, an alteration. It's not an obstacle - although the obstacle may initiate the movement.

i thought u had to talk about how the journeys alter something about the person taking them in an unexpected manner for e.g. in Skrzynecki a Drive in the Country, his physical journey to Blue Hole with the freedom of the nature presented before him, causes him to reject his life that is restricting/suffocating etc. He has unexpectedly been moved...his perception has been unexpectedly changed when compared to what it initially was .. that's an unexpected detour.

Don't know if obstacles have anything to do with it really apart from possibly initating it like i said.

anyway thats wat i think

Mezra

HSC
Like some of the others, I also disagreed with the question. It asked "to what extent" did it correspond with YOUR personal understanding from your study of the texts. My whole essay had nothing to do with unexpected detours so I just said that it was a limited extent. I also agree that obstacles is not the same as unexpected detours, although an obstacle can be an unexpected detour the term "obstacle" is very vague and can really be anything on the journey, which is usually expected and therefore not unexpected...
Hm. Not sure if they'll be able to read my writing.

Mezra

HSC
That's a really good way to look at A Drive in the Country. Wish I'd thought of that! Instead I wrote that since he consciously chose to enter the natural environment, he knew it would have some effect on his mindset- therefore it was expected. Hmm I guess if you can back it up it's okay. I probably didn't back it up though.

simonelye

Simone.
HSC
markzada said:
not to get your hopes down or nething but i cant see how the question was about obstacles... that's my view neway

i see where your coming from
The texts i used fit it perfectly
i used leaving home/CTRS/journeys ove rland and sea and related..
My teachers all interpreted it the way we did.

I mean detours - challenges/obstacles.
Its all the same kind of thing.
instead of writing obstacles
i just wrote detours

and a lot of people on all the threads interpreted it as obstacles.
i guess if its fluent and backed up will it will be fine
=]

who cares anyway
its over and done with
we cant change it now
now its off 2 study modules
eughhh

Steth0scope

HSC
N/A
yea i liked the essay .. section 1 was a ballbreaker .. missed out on like 4 marks + whatever i got wrong due to my shit spinning ... lol

simonelye

Simone.
HSC
markzada said:

i see where your coming from
but thats your interpretation,
everyone interprets differently
and a lot of people on all the threads interpreted it as obstacles too
i guess if its fluent and backed up will it will be fine
=]

The texts i used fit it perfectly
i used leaving home/CTRS/journeys ove rland and sea and related..
My teachers all interpreted it the way we did.

i was happy with my response so thats all i car about atm.
my assessments were really good so yeah itll be fine

I mean detours - challenges/obstacles.
Its all the same kind of thing.
instead of writing obstacles
i just wrote detours

who cares anyway
its over and done with
we cant change it now
now its off 2 study modules
eughhh

Mezza295

HSC
I wrote 14 pages! I've never written so much in my life,s eeings as i normally only turn out about 5 or 6. The question for imaginative journeys was pretty good, easy to mould my essay around anyway.

jmshuynh32

HSC
Damn man i looked at mi friends essay, who was sittin next to me and he had like one page wit like 10 quotes. Dat is hectic shit man...:eek: and he ended up writin round 18 pages unbelievable!!

truper

HSC
simplistic said:
im curious though.. there are people in fact who write around 22-26 pages for the essay ..
does anyone know anyone who has done this or have done it themselves ?
have they had the time to finish the other 2 sections?
probably wrote really big or double spaced.

quality>quantity.

hscbec101

HSC
i wrote 7.5 pages and didnt finish it well. My intro was two pages and i did physical journeys. Peter Skrzynecki took up most of the pages, I fitted LOTR in and a little on Journeys over Land and Sea and had to write a conclusion. I couldnt write about my other related material. Its in lots of detail tho. I thort we couldnt write dot points it had to be a well structured essay. Bring on Paper 2 Advance

hpk

HSC
unluckyinlove07 said:
im pretty sure they'll mark down for that

you have to be concise

i had my introductoin done and the start of my main point by the time id started my 2nd paragraph
you wrote 2 pages

you should have written a booklet so 8 pages

JACKSON5110

HSC
petro283 said:
My writing isn't very big at all. But i had finished my first page in 3 1/2 minutes and that was just my intro... You'd be suprised what a little planning will do before hand. The trick is, i spent the first 5 minutes doing my essay plan. (I'm very persistent on structure) and after that, you know each dot point and you elaborate at like 200 words per minute...
umm - 200 words per minute.... thats a whole essay in 5 minutes.....:confused:

Last edited:

jaso272

HSC
I did imaginative journeys, and coleridge was really good for this question. Im annoyed that we're the last year that has to do the BOS booklet, coz its not good for imaginative journeys. I ended up writing 12 pages in the essay (1 8page booklet, plus 4 pages of the next booklet), but i went over the 40 minutes allocated by about 10mins, but its ok.... i managed to finish everything else too, though could have written one more sentence in the creative response.
Hope everyone else is psyched for paper 2 tomoz! hahaha
adios amigos

R.W

HSC
i wrote about 7 pages in medium sized writing,
how and more importantly WHY would you write an english essay in point form?

Far-Kew

HSC
point form is not the best option my friend. the rubic outlines the use of correct structure to audience, should have been essay format. i can only say good luck.

stratocaster01

HSC
N/A
fuck this 9 pages shit, 3 to 4 should be enough its quality not quantity and plus there needed to be more time for the exam in general so that you can actually think about what you are writing.
i stuffed it up because i ran out of time and had to cut my essays off, i hate the board of studies.

andykillz

HSC
jaso272 said:
Im annoyed that we're the last year that has to do the BOS booklet, coz its not good for imaginative journeys.
lol really ? i thought the stimulus book had lots of really good texts which could be used for imaginative journeys. well from what i heard , most of them were good haha , but then again i guess it depends on how well your teacher has taught.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)