Seeking advice to prepare for Edutest and NSB 2024 Year 9 transfer tests (1 Viewer)

Yes99

HSC
Hello people, apparently NSBHS now is using EduTest for 8-10 according to their website.
I noticed that too. I like the fact that all 3 schools that I am planning to apply will have the same test using Edutest, but leads me to a question.
I assume they will let students apply for multiple schools on the same exam result as all tests for top 3 school are happening on a same day but at varying locations.

kkk579

hello
HSC
I noticed that too. I like the fact that all 3 schools that I am planning to apply will have the same test using Edutest, but leads me to a question.
I assume they will let students apply for multiple schools on the same exam result as all tests for top 3 school are happening on a same day but at varying locations.
yes they will lol. the school u sit the exam at which share ur exam results with the other schools that u applied for that use the same exam

Yes99

HSC
yes they will lol. the school u sit the exam at which share ur exam results with the other schools that u applied for that use the same exam
Great. Thank you. Do you know if Edutest also shares the result with students? tried three edutest online practice test during school holidays. (4 wrong from 240 questions. all silly mistakes, average time was under 30 seconds per question).
As you suggested before, will try to find some victorian past papers to practice from next month.

kkk579

hello
HSC
Great. Thank you. Do you know if Edutest also shares the result with students? tried three edutest online practice test during school holidays. (4 wrong from 240 questions. all silly mistakes, average time was under 30 seconds per question).
As you suggested before, will try to find some victorian past papers to practice from next month.
yes they share ur results with u as well. that’s good but remember that the actual exam is more difficult than the practice ones so make sure you’re getting higher in the practice ones that ur aiming for in the actual exam.

Yes99

HSC
yes they share ur results with u as well. that’s good but remember that the actual exam is more difficult than the practice ones so make sure you’re getting higher in the practice ones that ur aiming for in the actual exam.
Thank you. will do.

Yes99

HSC
A question for those who have done Edutest in the recent years, was the writing task a creative narrative? or both creative narrative and persuasive?

I am reading that previous VIC selective exam (by Edutest) was narrative and persuasive, and someone in the forum also mentioned that it was both (15 minutes each back in 2016).
I am only concentrating on writing a narrative within 25 minutes to allow for planning & proof-reading, but contemplating to change my time limit to practice (and also whether I should practice persuasive)

hscgirl

HSC
A question for those who have done Edutest in the recent years, was the writing task a creative narrative? or both creative narrative and persuasive?

I am reading that previous VIC selective exam (by Edutest) was narrative and persuasive, and someone in the forum also mentioned that it was both (15 minutes each back in 2016).
I am only concentrating on writing a narrative within 25 minutes to allow for planning & proof-reading, but contemplating to change my time limit to practice (and also whether I should practice persuasive)
u graduated 25 years ago

skzzks

HSC

when i did it it was a creative narrative based on a visual stimuli but i think they could give u either one, definitely not both tho

amy2181

HSC
For a current year 8 student from another selective school to prepare a transfer to;
  • Ruse (Edutest – 29 July)
  • NSB (their own test Edutest – 29 Jul)
  • Baulko (it seems like it might the first time that Baulko is using Edutest - 29 Jul)
Would anyone be able to share advice (based on your experience, or know someone who has) in sitting for year 9 entry exam?

Bought 3 practice exams from Edutest website, but it looked generic, and thought surely they are much harder for Ruse and Baulko.

Any sights on NSB transfer exam would be very helpful as well.
heyy, last year i took edutest and absolutelt flunked it, so maybe u could learn from my mistakes. from memory, the test, in regards to the content, wasn't significantly difficult, which is why the edutest practice test is not that hard. if you were to use the edutest practice tests, aim to use the higher year group practice tests. even then, those questions are still doable. for verbal, the main thing i STRONGLY suggest is to EXPAND UR VOCABULARY!!! there is a lot of vocab-based questions on the test, such as analogies, odd one out's, and synonym/antonym q's, and u also need to know the meaning of the words. try searching "selective school vocabulary" and memorising the meanings. i definitely recommend the TTT Tutoring selective school vocabulary . for written expression, i would recommend including LOTS of language techniques in creative especially. a rule of thumb for both creative and persuasive is to USE FORM. form is suchhh an important aspect of ur writing, using appropriate form will show the marker that u know what ur doing. in persuasive especially, use PEEL paragraph structure or refer to online resources that are made especially for selective test prep for ur structure. for reading comprehension, the most u can do is review ur reading comprehension skills since its a very judgement-based test. for numerical, familiarise urself with the types of questions they ask, such as number patterns and magic squares, just to name a few. the mathematics test is VERY easy. it is 100% curriculum based and does not extend past what u learn from year 7 and what u learn in the first half of year 8, so if ur already confident in maths, dont worry too much about this part of the test, just polish up on ur skills and knowledge if u have time. thats the basic advise id give for the test, if u have anymore questions, lmk. good luck on the test!

Yes99

HSC
heyy, last year i took edutest and absolutelt flunked it, so maybe u could learn from my mistakes. from memory, the test, in regards to the content, wasn't significantly difficult, which is why the edutest practice test is not that hard. if you were to use the edutest practice tests, aim to use the higher year group practice tests. even then, those questions are still doable. for verbal, the main thing i STRONGLY suggest is to EXPAND UR VOCABULARY!!! there is a lot of vocab-based questions on the test, such as analogies, odd one out's, and synonym/antonym q's, and u also need to know the meaning of the words. try searching "selective school vocabulary" and memorising the meanings. i definitely recommend the TTT Tutoring selective school vocabulary . for written expression, i would recommend including LOTS of language techniques in creative especially. a rule of thumb for both creative and persuasive is to USE FORM. form is suchhh an important aspect of ur writing, using appropriate form will show the marker that u know what ur doing. in persuasive especially, use PEEL paragraph structure or refer to online resources that are made especially for selective test prep for ur structure. for reading comprehension, the most u can do is review ur reading comprehension skills since its a very judgement-based test. for numerical, familiarise urself with the types of questions they ask, such as number patterns and magic squares, just to name a few. the mathematics test is VERY easy. it is 100% curriculum based and does not extend past what u learn from year 7 and what u learn in the first half of year 8, so if ur already confident in maths, dont worry too much about this part of the test, just polish up on ur skills and knowledge if u have time. thats the basic advise id give for the test, if u have anymore questions, lmk. good luck on the test!
Thank you for sharing this. wow. very informative.
I tried to find TTT tutoring selective school vocab but couldnt. any help on keywords would be great.
bought vic year 9 selective school entry mock up tests (60 or 50 questions in 30 mins) to practise each component but it might be better to polish some skills as you said.
i had to google what FORM is. lol. been practising with at least 3 techniques on visual prompt and am planning to do that in the test.
Oh, was the actual test on OMR paper? I hate answering on omr paper, so I might practise with answering on omr.
also, how long did it took for you to get the test result from Edutest?

amy2181

HSC
Thank you for sharing this. wow. very informative.
I tried to find TTT tutoring selective school vocab but couldnt. any help on keywords would be great.
bought vic year 9 selective school entry mock up tests (60 or 50 questions in 30 mins) to practise each component but it might be better to polish some skills as you said.
i had to google what FORM is. lol. been practising with at least 3 techniques on visual prompt and am planning to do that in the test.
Oh, was the actual test on OMR paper? I hate answering on omr paper, so I might practise with answering on omr.
also, how long did it took for you to get the test result from Edutest?
try and type in 'TES selective school vocabulary', it should pop up. and unfortunately yes, with the tests (except for written expression), u have to answer on omr paper. its VERY inconvenient and im not sure why they need it to be that way. edutest doesnt take long to mark the test, only a week i'd assume, but you only get ur test results back once ur application is processed and the outcome is released, which for me took until sep 16.

Yes99

HSC
try and type in 'TES selective school vocabulary', it should pop up. and unfortunately yes, with the tests (except for written expression), u have to answer on omr paper. its VERY inconvenient and im not sure why they need it to be that way. edutest doesnt take long to mark the test, only a week i'd assume, but you only get ur test results back once ur application is processed and the outcome is released, which for me took until sep 16.
Thanks for your help again. downloaded the vocab list now.

s97127

HSC
I have edutest resources (past papers) as i was preparing for jr test. I can sell them to you if you're interested. They are more difficult than practice tests from edutest web site.

For a current year 8 student from another selective school to prepare a transfer to;
  • Ruse (Edutest – 29 July)
  • NSB (their own test Edutest – 29 Jul)
  • Baulko (it seems like it might the first time that Baulko is using Edutest - 29 Jul)
Would anyone be able to share advice (based on your experience, or know someone who has) in sitting for year 9 entry exam?

Bought 3 practice exams from Edutest website, but it looked generic, and thought surely they are much harder for Ruse and Baulko.

Any sights on NSB transfer exam would be very helpful as well.

Yes99

HSC
I have edutest resources (past papers) as i was preparing for jr test. I can sell them to you if you're interested. They are more difficult than practice tests from edutest web site.
I will have to ask my parents for money.
Are they actual past papers for year 9 entry? And how much would they be?

amy2181

HSC
how did u get ahold of them??

bgk1

HSC
N/A
hi, I want to get edutest practice? How much would it be?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)