Seeking advice to prepare for Edutest and NSB 2024 Year 9 transfer tests (1 Viewer)

Yes99

HSC
hi, I want to get edutest practice? How much would it be?
the person dmed me and said it was $200 for practice tests that he has.
the one that I got was cheaper for vic tests, and you can easily buy vic tests by searching internet.
given that it's only less two weeks away and each mock up tests takes 3 hours to complete, imho its not worth buying anything now but try whats available online. try vic selective school practice test if you haven't already and read through amy2181's response as well as other's reponses on this post for other tips.

Last edited:

Yes99

HSC
has anyone tried the official vic practice tests before? how does anyone get above 90% within 30 minutes?
verbal was okay but other 3 are impossible to finish within 30 minutes. I tried about 8 vic mock up tests from elsewhere before and my time was all good. also, the practice tests from official edutest are year 5 level compared like vic practice ones. was quite confident till this morning, feel like I am doomed for the next week's.

skzzks

HSC
has anyone tried the official vic practice tests before? how does anyone get above 90% within 30 minutes?
verbal was okay but other 3 are impossible to finish within 30 minutes. I tried about 8 vic mock up tests from elsewhere before and my time was all good. also, the practice tests from official edutest are year 5 level compared like vic practice ones. was quite confident till this morning, feel like I am doomed for the next week's.

it is possible but takes a lot of practice, don’t stress tho in my experience maths was rlly easy even with the time constraint and quantitative reasoning (the one with all the patterns) was hard (i thought i flopped it but still managed to get in a rlly good band so ig most people found it hard asw) but prioritise the easier questions first coz they’re all worth the same so u might as well get the easy and quick questions right and the more time consuming ones can be guessed and checked later same with reading for most of them i skimmed the longer passages and there were also easy short questions but it ended up being fine and i still had time to check

Yes99

HSC
it is possible but takes a lot of practice, don’t stress tho in my experience maths was rlly easy even with the time constraint and quantitative reasoning (the one with all the patterns) was hard (i thought i flopped it but still managed to get in a rlly good band so ig most people found it hard asw) but prioritise the easier questions first coz they’re all worth the same so u might as well get the easy and quick questions right and the more time consuming ones can be guessed and checked later same with reading for most of them i skimmed the longer passages and there were also easy short questions but it ended up being fine and i still had time to check
Thanks for the reply and tips! I thought it was fine until this morning, but yeh, maths and verbal is okay other than few silly mistakes but like you said with reading, I will definitely need prioritise easy or short ones first.

willma1034

HSC
anyone know anything for normanhurst boys year 8?. Test is in a few days/

My grades 7As 2Bs

SPort, I swim competitively and play soccer and waterpolo for school grade sport

Yes99

HSC
anyone know anything for normanhurst boys year 8?. Test is in a few days/

My grades 7As 2Bs

SPort, I swim competitively and play soccer and waterpolo for school grade sport
Good luck with the test. dont know anything about the test but focus on your weak points.
if you are good at maths, practise your writing within a set time and have a few techniques in your writing rather than just an imagery.
dont worry about grades or extracurricular as yet, I am pretty certain that they are not planning to look at every application, but only the ones that have been shortlisted after the test.

Yes99

HSC
Yeah I agree the test is more about answering all the questions in the time. I did the practice tests to prepare but to be honest they aren’t worth the money. There isn’t much you can do to prepare except expanding your vocabulary. Also, they had some weird questions where you had to translate gibberish to real sentences.
yeh preparing didn't help that much. some of the vocabs in verbal were like wtf. I don't think you can really prepare those vocab either.
for me, most were okay except for numerical which I couldn't finish everything in time.
After the test a girl in Ruse uniform in front of me said "I can't believe it. was sooooo easy" lol
Did you do the test today as well?

willma1034

HSC
yeh preparing didn't help that much. some of the vocabs in verbal were like wtf. I don't think you can really prepare those vocab either.
for me, most were okay except for numerical which I couldn't finish everything in time.
After the test a girl in Ruse uniform in front of me said "I can't believe it. was sooooo easy" lol
Did you do the test today as well?
Yeah did the test today, maths and reading comp were easy, abstract reasoning was mid and numerical reading was hell. I had to guess like 5 or 6 Nd probs got like 40%wrong lol

Yes99

HSC
Yeah did the test today, maths and reading comp were easy, abstract reasoning was mid and numerical reading was hell. I had to guess like 5 or 6 Nd probs got like 40%wrong lol
yeh same. reading was easier than i thought. as for the numerical, I had no time like 4-5 questions as well.
when you say abstract, you mean verbal reasoning right? two vocabs were really difficult but other than that, it was okay.
Did you sit the test at ruse as well?

willma1034

HSC
Yeah verbal reasoning my bad. I didn't sit the ruse one as I didn't apply. I only applied for north sydney, normanhurst and Sydney boys

willma1034

HSC
I sat in the 3 or 4th row front the from and second from the right. Where did u sit?

amy2181

HSC
okay since edutest passed how does everyone think they did???

Yes99

HSC
okay since edutest passed how does everyone think they did???
Going to have nightmares lol.
Thinking bombed because of numerical reasoning, many questions were quite time consuming.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)