Seeking advice to prepare for Edutest and NSB 2024 Year 9 transfer tests (1 Viewer)

Yes99

HSC
How were the edutests for NSBHS and Ruse? Were they the same?
Think it was exactly the same test.
Felt the same with everything you mentioned. Numerical was time consuming and some of the words on verbal, I don't think anyone is going to come across them again in thier lifetime.

Yes99

HSC
Btw I sat for Baulko.
just out of curiosity, how was the vibe in baulko like? i mean which schools were the students mostly from?
at the ruse test, we had students from baulko the most at least 20 lol and quite a few from nsb, epping boys, sydney boys, normo, at least 150 people all together.

Yes99

HSC
Ruse is at the top it makes sense you got a larger amount of kids in the select stream
you are probably right, many people who would have included Baulko would have included ruse in their application thus the large crowd. also now thinking about it, there were more boys then girls I noticed.

amy2181

HSC
i sat for ruse and there were a couple kids from manly selective and abbotsleigh which kinda surprised me

bgk1

HSC
N/A
I have tests coming up tomorrow at Sydney Boys for Year 9 entry, and this Saturday at Girraween High School. I’ve been preparing for the HAST syllabus using Victoria selective test practices. However, I’m not sure about the Syd. Boys test. It is 1-hour test on literacy and numeracy. Has anyone here taken the test at Sydney Boys before? Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Yes99

HSC
has anyone received any emails from nsb?
my parents only received emails from ruse and haven't even received a confirmation email that the application was received.
latest email from ruse says something like all the school will know the results by mid Aug, will start the interview from end of Aug and everyone will be notified by mid of Sep whether you are successful or not.

amy2181

HSC
which year are you applying for and how was your test?
i applied for yr 10. the test honestly wasnt that hard at all. i think this yr after i actually tried studying and knew what i was doing i have a much better understanding of the test. there were defo questions i was a little stumped on but like they werent too difficult

Yes99

HSC
who else received an email from BHHS Edutest about their test result?
check with your parents as my parents received one this afternoon.

amy2181

HSC
I GOT AN EMAIL TOO IM SO HAPPY W MY RESULTSSSS WHAT DID U GET??

Sethio

HSC
Recently, I applied to all 3 of the top schools (a bit adventurous). Currently, I'm in a school ranked in the 30s (I won't say but looking at the ranks I think it would be quite obvious), it's a private school, so there is a large disparity between the top (very strong) and bottom of the cohort. I was honestly just wondering about my chances when it came to getting an interview. Year 9 applying for Year 10.

I didn't perform that great on the Edutest with 3 sups and 2 Above Averages, partially due to my lack of effort when it came to preparation, but can't change much now. I understand the test result is critical, as not every school may read every application but here's my shot in the dark.

For Baulko, I had a brother who graduated last year and spent all 6 years of high school at BHHS. He did really well for his cohort and is currently in Medicine at UNSW. Again, pretty insignificant but the more info the better.

Stats Academics:
DUX of my Grade (As of Now)
Chronological GPA (out of 10): 9.6, 9.6 and 9.8 (for Year 8 Semester 1/2 and Year 9 Semester 1, respectively)
Accelerated Mathematics Course (Starting Extension 1 Year 11 Course), Academic Proficiency Prizes Year 7 and 8, History Prize
Brief Rank Overview (Core Subjects): Maths 3rd, English 3rd, History 1st, Geography 2nd, Science Top 20 (not great this term but was Top 10 in Year 8)
My Cohort is roughly 250 kids (not sure if that matters tho)

Competitions:
- HD and D in ICAS
- D in AMC Maths Comp
- Science Olympiad
- Australian Intermediate Maths Olympiad (Aiming for Training Camps AMOC). Many kids from my school have made these camps.
- Really didn't do many comps apart from this tbh because of my tight schedule. (I regret it as they almost stand as prerequisites for many top schools)

Extra-Curriculars:
- Tennis 2nd's Open Team for my School (state level), CIS Cross Country, Soccer Top Age Group Team for School
- Robotics Club (participated in regional comps). (6-10 Hours a Week. Very Invested)
- Scientific Research Project (After School with researchers from WIMR)
- Cadets
- Business and Investment Club
- Bronze Duke of Ed (Finished Year 9 Sem 1) onto Silver right now
- Business and Investment Club
- Music (Percussion and Piano) for about 5 years. Roughly Grade 6-7 level for both
- School Band/Orchestra (Percussion)
- DaVinici Decathlon This year we did pretty decent. We came 1st Science (Wasn't my subject). But in mine specifically Maths and Cartography we came 9th and 15th respectively. Overall 13th.

Hobby:
I also self-taught myself 4 coding languages. I make game assets for a few platforms and websites for promoting such assets and have generated roughly 2k in revenue and collaborated with studios in the USA and Canada. I really don't think they will take this into consideration, but I just wanted to show my intent to pursue many things around my school life.

Thoughts:
I've ranted on for quite a bit but I really don't want to miss anything, in hindsight I don't expect much to be honest with the limited places for my application Year (10), and my "not-amazing" results for the test, but might as well ask for some input. I'm not too concerned about whether I make it or not, as I seem to be performing well in my current school.

Yes99

HSC
I didn't perform that great on the Edutest with 3 sups and 2 Above Averages
I applied for top 3 as well, but your edutest result is slightly better than mine, so even less hope for me.
i heard that baulko looks at extra-curricular a lot, so I think you will have a good chance.
and, even if you stay at the current school and maintain dux, i am sure you can go any university you want, so don't worry.

stnd08

HSC
Yeah, I got my results today...I'm happy and all, but I feel like my extracurricular was a bit lacking compared to some of the applicants (like the student above who was DUX for his grade). I'm not sure if my mark can carry me that much since, as you said, baulko looks at extracurricular a lot.

Yes99

HSC
Yeah, I got my results today...I'm happy and all, but I feel like my extracurricular was a bit lacking compared to some of the applicants (like the student above who was DUX for his grade). I'm not sure if my mark can carry me that much since, as you said, baulko looks at extracurricular a lot.
dw. if you are happy with the result, that matters the most. Did you apply for year 10 as well?
I found it odd that the email stated that we will be told of the outcome by the end of term 3 or 22 Sep, but didn't mention anything around interview process. maybe there is no interview for baulko this year, which sounds bit odd.

stnd08

HSC
dw. if you are happy with the result, that matters the most. Did you apply for year 10 as well?
I found it odd that the email stated that we will be told of the outcome by the end of term 3 or 22 Sep, but didn't mention anything around interview process. maybe there is no interview for baulko this year, which sounds bit odd.
Yeah, I applied for entrance into year 10. I think they may give information about the interview process later on.

Yes99

HSC
Yeah, I applied for entrance into year 10. I think they may give information about the interview process later on.
oh okay! I am sure you will be okay for baulko with 5 superiors, so tell us when you get an interview.

stnd08

HSC
oh okay! I am sure you will be okay for baulko with 5 superiors, so tell us when you get an interview.
I wish you didn't find out 😅

5 superiors is definitely not something to brag about. Don't get me wrong, it's definitely really good, but you have to consider that there are 10% of students sitting in the 'superior' range.

Last edited:

Yes99

HSC
5 superiors is definitely not something to brag about. Don't get me wrong, it's definitely really good, but you have to consider that there are 10% of students sitting in the 'superior' range.
lol. i wish edutest had what the overall % is. yeh you are right there is 10% of students for superior but I think thats for each subject/topic and it doesn't mention how many people had all 5 superiors. anyway, me with little knowledge think its enough for baulko transfer.
Good luck with the grammar interview

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)