Selective Entry Thread 2021 (Lockdown) (2 Viewers)

satvik_1008

HSC
Hey guys, i currently go to a selective school, and I think I might be able to provide some insights into the process

although I have been to my school since year 7, from talking to my mates who joined in Year 11, it seems to be that their main focus tends to be on the interview, rather than grades or anything like that. If they see you an outgoing, enthusiastic multifaceted person, they are more likely to take you in compread to someone who is extremely smart, but also very socially akward.

I think for top top selective schools (e.g. ruse nsb, baulko etc) it seems to be you need stellar grades too, but if ur trying to get into say fort st, hurlstone girra etc, u should worry more about interviews if anything else.

kkk579

hello
HSC
Hey guys, i currently go to a selective school, and I think I might be able to provide some insights into the process

although I have been to my school since year 7, from talking to my mates who joined in Year 11, it seems to be that their main focus tends to be on the interview, rather than grades or anything like that. If they see you an outgoing, enthusiastic multifaceted person, they are more likely to take you in compread to someone who is extremely smart, but also very socially akward.

I think for top top selective schools (e.g. ruse nsb, baulko etc) it seems to be you need stellar grades too, but if ur trying to get into say fort st, hurlstone girra etc, u should worry more about interviews if anything else.
true true but the only way we can get to the interview stage is by acing the HAST test(for schools that hold it) and having good grades

satvik_1008

HSC
true true but the only way we can get to the interview stage is by acing the HAST test(for schools that hold it) and having good grades
Fair enough. Personally no idea how the HAST works or how hard it is (never done it), but in terms of grades, from speaking to my mates they had good grades but their grades weren't absolutely stellar as well, you can manage getting in w/o the absolute top of grades pre sure.

Constantspy977

sensational
HSC

for the schools like hahs, girra and fort st, is it essential to hand in your NAPLAN, because I haven't done my yr 7 NAPLAN since it was cancelled and my yr 5 NAPLAN... lets just say I did average. Im planning to apply to some of these schools and (maybe parra hs) and I just wanted some further clarification on the application process :)

satvik_1008

HSC
for the schools like hahs, girra and fort st, is it essential to hand in your NAPLAN, because I haven't done my yr 7 NAPLAN since it was cancelled and my yr 5 NAPLAN... lets just say I did average
No idea about ur circumstance, I think they had to give in naplan (not too sure), but as long as u did decently above average, u should be okay.

For guidance, most kids at my school got band 9's and 10's in naplan, so id prolly assume they are looking for a similar standard

Constantspy977

sensational
HSC
No idea about ur circumstance, I think they had to give in naplan (not too sure), but as long as u did decently above average, u should be okay.

For guidance, most kids at my school got band 9's and 10's in naplan, so id prolly assume they are looking for a similar standard
Is it possible to send in my ICAS results instead of NAPLAN?

Eagle Mum

HSC
N/A
Is it possible to send in my ICAS results instead of NAPLAN?
Just a thought - are you aware that all NSW Year 8 students will be sitting the VALID assessment on the week beginning Oct 18?

It is a standardised test that is to science what NAPLAN is to literacy & numeracy. I’m not sure if there are resources out there, but if there are, perhaps preparing for this test and achieving good results could partially serve to replace the lack of Yr 7 NAPLAN results.

Constantspy977

sensational
HSC
Just a thought - are you aware that all NSW Year 8 students will be sitting the VALID assessment on the week beginning Oct 18?

It is a standardised test that is to science what NAPLAN is to literacy & numeracy. I’m not sure if there are resources out there, but if there are, perhaps preparing for this test and achieving good results could partially serve to replace the lack of Yr 7 NAPLAN results.
there are barely any resources but I am preparing to get maybe a distinction on math, science and English(which would ultimately be in the top 11%), so hopefully I can get that :)

satvik_1008

HSC
there are barely any resources but I am preparing to get maybe a distinction on math, science and English(which would ultimately be in the top 11%), so hopefully I can get that :)
thing is like how well u do in icas and how well u do in stuff like the HSC (which tbf is what selective schools really care about) are very poorly correlated, soi don't think its gonna help u anywyays

if naplan was cancelled for urwhole year however, I doubt they'd ask for ur naplan results then. honestly ur better off asking the school ur applying to as to what alternatives should you present to them

Eagle Mum

HSC
N/A
VALID reports bands like NAPLAN. My understanding is that it comprises MCQs and SAQs.
Perhaps older students on this forum could give you an idea of the types of questions asked.

satvik_1008

HSC
VALID reports bands like NAPLAN. My understanding is that it comprises MCQs and SAQs.
Perhaps older students on this forum could give you an idea of the types of questions asked.
I did valid in year 8 and 10, it wasn't particularly hard our school didn't make us prepare for it and everyone did well
from memory I think it was mostly short answer, with couple of multiple choice stuff as well, you were basically responding to a bunch of stimuli and applying year 7 science knowledge to it.

kkk579

hello
HSC

holdup ive never heard of the VALID exam??

specificagent1

HSC
Did VALID in year 8 and don't really remember what it was like. It wasn't too difficult though and was less formal than NAPLAN

kkk579

hello
HSC
does anyone know what the valid exam consists of and what i can do to prepare for it?? or is it easy that it’s not worth preparing for?? what will the qs be like? do u think that theyll cancel it coz of lockdown

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)