Selective Entry Thread 2021 (Lockdown) (1 Viewer)

Scimat

HSC
You have quite some time before you start at girraween, approximately 4 months, during the 4 months time, I recommend revising(if u need to) yr 9 math and have a head start with yr 10 math. Some resources include math online, past papers on
https://kinrosscollege.wa.edu.au/student-education/curriculum-resources/past-student-exams/, and some textbooks
Thanks!! I already do year 10 maths with Ngo so I guess that's fine. But I need to catch up on year 9 content because my school skips very important parts of the syllabus. Like they said we do quadratics in yr 11. But it's a 500+ ranked school so that justifies it ig

Constantspy977

sensational
HSC
Thanks!! I already do year 10 maths with Ngo so I guess that's fine. But I need to catch up on year 9 content because my school skips very important parts of the syllabus. Like they said we do quadratics in yr 11. But it's a 500+ ranked school so that justifies it ig
alright, personally I just do math online 5.3 math for yr 9 and 10 just to get ahead, math online is a really good resource

kkk579

hello
HSC
Yeah I go to Ngo and son's for maths and uplift for english. But I only joined like a month and a half ago so I missed out on a lot of work.
Damn we go to the exact same tutorings lol. If u wanna get ahead maybe get a decent maths textbook like Cambridge and go thru and learn the topics from it.

Scimat

HSC
Damn we go to the exact same tutorings lol. If u wanna get ahead maybe get a decent maths textbook like Cambridge and go thru and learn the topics from it.
Yeah I use ICE-EM. I think its good (and the challenge exercise at the end of the topic is quite hard).

Eagle Mum

HSC
N/A
Yeah I heard maths online is a very good online resource if ur willing to pay
It’s a lot cheaper if the school signs up.
At our local school only the students in the top class of each grade signed up, but the discounted rate per student is $12/yr which is very affordable.

Eagle Mum

HSC
N/A
lol no that’s not how it works. james ruse doesn’t have accelerated math but theyre the best school in sydney
You’re right that not all fully selective schools offer accelerated maths, but are you sure JRAHS doesn’t?

Eagle Mum

HSC
N/A
yep james ruse doesn’t offer it
Thanks - I see they don’t formally offer acceleration. They instead encourage students to participate in the maths Olympiad program. Whilst Olympiad maths training doesn’t overlap much with 2U maths or extension 1, it does help with extension 2 which is when scaling can really make a big difference to achieve the really high marks, which in turn count towards the ATAR. Quite an effective strategy for both the Olympiad & HSC arena.

Scimat

HSC
Thanks - I see they don’t formally offer acceleration. They instead encourage students to participate in the maths Olympiad program. Whilst Olympiad maths training doesn’t overlap much with 2U maths or extension 1, it does help with extension 2 which is when scaling can really make a big difference to achieve the really high marks, which in turn count towards the ATAR. Quite an effective strategy for both the Olympiad & HSC arena.
Yeah I feel like only James Ruse and baulko (mainly jhras) offer olympiad participation. Other top tier schools like girraween and even higher like nsb don't participate. Am I right?

Eagle Mum

HSC
N/A
Yeah I feel like only James Ruse and baulko (mainly jhras) offer olympiad participation. Other top tier schools like girraween and even higher like nsb don't participate. Am I right?
NSBHS & NSGHS both participate as did HAHS, but I’m not sure if Hurlestone still does or not.

Eagle Mum

HSC
N/A
does anyone know what the valid exam consists of and what i can do to prepare for it?? or is it easy that it’s not worth preparing for?? what will the qs be like? do u think that theyll cancel it coz of lockdown
Hi kkk579, I provided the link to the NESA site regarding the VALiD exams, but unfortunately there doesn’t seem to be any sample questions. My kids can’t remember any of the questions either but there’s definitely MCQs and SAQs. Qld also runs a Yr 8 science assessment which I am guessing would be comparable and some sample SAQs can be found in this link (see pages 19-27): https://www.qcaa.qld.edu.au/downloads/p_10/ac_sa_sci_yr8_energy_test.pdf

ACARA is a national body that assesses and reports on student performance. This is a report with sample responses from Yr 8 students on a range of SAQs which they regard as above satisfactory/good and their explanation of what they’re looking for, which might help with answering VALID SAQs (if the assessment goes ahead which might not because of lockdown):

Last edited:

Constantspy977

sensational
HSC
Guys, I have a question. What books are good for people in yrs 9-10 for reading and developing vocabulary and comprehension bc Im getting really bored of just binging the harry potter series lol

kkk579

hello
HSC
Guys, I have a question. What books are good for people in yrs 9-10 for reading and developing vocabulary and comprehension bc Im getting really bored of just binging the harry potter series lol
legit just go read like young adult fiction books coz most of them have much more extensive vocabulary compared to children or young teen books

Constantspy977

sensational
HSC
legit just go read like young adult fiction books coz most of them have much more extensive vocabulary compared to children or young teen books
any specific examples u would recommend or u have heard of?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)