Selective Entry Thread 2021 (Lockdown) (1 Viewer)

Eagle Mum

HSC
N/A
Guys, I have a question. What books are good for people in yrs 9-10 for reading and developing vocabulary and comprehension bc Im getting really bored of just binging the harry potter series lol
My two favourite books which I also happened to read in Yr 10 were Douglas Adam’s Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy and Miles Franklin’s My Brilliant Career. The latter may appeal more to a female audience but I recommend the former to anyone who appreciates dry wit, gallows humour and the odd splash of sarcasm.

Last edited:

Constantspy977

sensational
HSC
My two favourite books which I also happened to read in Yr 10 were Douglas Adam’s Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy and Miles Franklin’s My Brilliant Career. The latter may appeal more to a female audience but I recommend the former to anyone who appreciates dry wit, gallows humour and the odd splash of sarcasm.
ok I will keep in mind, thanks for the suggestions guys

joe mama

HSC
Guys, I have a question. What books are good for people in yrs 9-10 for reading and developing vocabulary and comprehension bc Im getting really bored of just binging the harry potter series lol
1984 by george orwell, fahrenheit 451 by ray bradbury, the handmaid's tale by margaret atwood, brave new world by aldous huxley

or tbh see if u can ask any yr10-11s in ur school what their class assigned novels are, and read those. that's suitable for a higher level of reading and plus u get a headstart for ur future assessments by already reading the book

Constantspy977

sensational
HSC
Hey guys, I was doing a yr 9 practice HAST test and I came across this question... when I asked my brother, he said its a yr 11 extension 1 concept, so I was just wondering if questions like this are actually in the yr 9 HAST test if anyone knows? its called permutation if ur wondering

Attachments

kkk579

hello
HSC
Hey guys, I was doing a yr 9 practice HAST test and I came across this question... when I asked my brother, he said its a yr 11 extension 1 concept, so I was just wondering if questions like this are actually in the yr 9 HAST test if anyone knows?
is this from notesedu?

kkk579

hello
HSC
Hey guys, I was doing a yr 9 practice HAST test and I came across this question... when I asked my brother, he said its a yr 11 extension 1 concept, so I was just wondering if questions like this are actually in the yr 9 HAST test if anyone knows?
no idea how to approach that q I’ve never encountered a question like that in my whole existence 😳😳

kkk579

hello
HSC
Hey guys, I was doing a yr 9 practice HAST test and I came across this question... when I asked my brother, he said its a yr 11 extension 1 concept, so I was just wondering if questions like this are actually in the yr 9 HAST test if anyone knows? its called permutation if ur wondering
searched the q up and the topic is permutations and combinations so idk why that q is in the practice test

joe mama

HSC
no lol i didnt have any qns like that when i sat my exam, you wont be tested with yr11 content

kkk579

hello
HSC
no lol i didnt have any qns like that when i sat my exam, you wont be tested with yr11 content
yeah I doubt it would have qs like that, it would be unfair to put that in the year 9 test. there’s a small possibility it’s in the year 10 hast but defs not 9

Scimat

HSC
There are no curriculum based questions in the test. You can think of it as an iq test. The questions will test your thinking skills, so if there is no year 9 content in the test, I'm pretty sure there won't be year 11 extension 1 content.

kkk579

hello
HSC
There are no curriculum based questions in the test. You can think of it as an iq test. The questions will test your thinking skills, so if there is no year 9 content in the test, I'm pretty sure there won't be year 11 extension 1 content.
so will it be like arithmetic qs? like sequences and stuff? also, are there mainly problem solving and logic qs?

Constantspy977

sensational
HSC
oh ok thanks for re assuring me, idk why that was in the test, I understood the basics of permutation but I had no idea how to do this lol

Scimat

HSC
lol you're all starting early. I used to start like a month before, and then spend hours studying.

mikrokosmos

HSC
I gave Hurlstone a call and the lady said that they're working on it and HAST might be cancelled. She doesn't know yet. She also said there are no spots up to yr 11 at the moment, really just depends on how many students are leaving.
girl so on my experience—
hurlstone was the best for me but they said they had 1 spot so I did a diff exam which was on the same day. BUT they open up a full class so ~30 in year 11 so I know SOO many people that got into hurlstone last yr

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)