• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

selective school (1 Viewer)

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
vizman said:
didn't fort st beat sefton in everything else though?
That, I am not sure of. The candidature sizes of both schools are very similar. For other popular subjects, (and that I think are relevent to me lol :D) I think last year, Sefton beat Fort Street in Chemistry and Physics (in terms of DA), but Fort Street beat Sefton in English and Biology....:D
Keep in mind that Sefton is semi-selective and Fort Street is fully selective, so Fort Street "should" be better than Sefton, but last year this was not quite the case. If we keep this up or do better then we might even overtake Sydney Tech. Although this is all speculation.....we'll just have to wait and see.....

On a side note: Fitzy's departure and Green replacing him was probably the best thing that has happened to our school....lol

c0okies

HSC
i heard that sefton is going to become fully comphrehensive soon; could you clarify that?

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
That's a rumour I heard as well. A friend of mine actually asked a teacher about that and she said she had no knowledge of it, so it's not true.

Last edited:
D

dzzlng_07

Aw you guys suck! Can't sefton and fort st be BOTH good at the same time?

Seftons nerdier and theres more hw etc etc..

fort street is more care free and fun! and no we're not ALL druggos..
and if you REALLY want to do good, its not about the school, its about YOU! and how much you try

so... i like both :)

coolkoombaya said:
WHOAAAAA! im a seftonite here. (ahah dun call me gay, when u go sefton, ull understand) DO NOT GO FORT STREET >< year 11s 2006, as in, year 10s in 2005, aobut 7 of them went. they mite lyk it, but i duno, i reckon its chat. there were sum fort streeters at sefton station the other day. i dun fink they give a good indication on wat fort street is lyk. i duno, i never attened fort street, sefton only, so FUCK FORT STREEETT! GO SEFTON!!
you suck coolkoombaya!!! =p

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
Since I don't go to either of those schools, I cannot give an opinion about each of those schools. What I do think is that he should take seriously into consideration the changes that would have to be made changing from Sefton to Fort St, and whether moving to Fort St is worth making those changes.

A l

HSC
N/A
dzzlng_07 said:
Aw you guys suck! Can't sefton and fort st be BOTH good at the same time?
Well, the fact is, they are both very different schools. Sefton High School is partially selective, while Fort Street High School is fully selective. Also, Fort Street High School is more than twice as old as Sefton High School. Furthermore, I have reason to believe that Fort Street High School has a broader ethnic diversity than Sefton High School. At Sefton High School, about 95% of the school would be East-asian (Predominantly Chinese and Vietnamese), while about 3% would be Lebanese or Middle Eastern and the rest (approximately 2%) would be from other ethnic backgrounds.
dzzlng_07 said:
Seftons nerdier and theres more hw etc etc..
I wouldn't say so. The influence of the community (i.e. non-selective) stream on the selective students is quite significant at Sefton High School, whereas it is non-existent at Fort Street High School. Seeing how Fort Street High School is fully selective and caters the needs for selective students only, and Sefton High School is partially selective and has a program designed for both since the selective students and non-selective students are actually mixed together in the classroom; I'd imagine it being the other way around.
dzzlng_07 said:
so... i like both :)
Nice to see you taking both sides. ;)

Deciding whether or not to change from Sefton High School to Fort Street High School is essentially up to you. If you seriously believe that Fort Street High School will benefit your education then go for it. In my opinion, you should really only change if there are inconveniences such as course availability and travel. Fort Street High School performs better than Sefton High School in some areas whereas Sefton High School performs better than Fort Street High School in others.

coolkoombaya

HSC
yeah, if u just want academic goals, i guess sefton is good, since we have nohting else. if u wanan have fun, haha dont come sefton, it aint aobut fun.
if u wanna wear jewlry at school, dun come sefton, ur not allowed.
if u wanna be able to play tackle football at school, ur nto allowed.
if u wanna be part of various school groups, lyk a visual arts group or any other non-academic extra corricular activty group, dun come sefton, ur not allowed
if u wanan sit in the shade, dun come sefton, we dun have much of it.
BUT we do have tables and chairs now. so we got sum things.
if u wanna eat/drink good/junk food, dun come sefton, cos we dun sell it.
if u wanna do a dump, dun come sefton, cos we dun really supply u with toilet paper, unless u go to the office.
if u wanan wear a shit underneath ur uniform, dun come sefton, ur not allowed to, cos u can see it.
if u wanan wear a scarf, it has to be sefton uniform, otherwise ur not allowd.
if u wanan wear a hat/cap, has to be sefton uniform, ur not allowed.
if u wanan wear shoes other than black leather shoes, dun come sefton, cos ur not allowed.
if u dun wanan do hw, dun come sefton, cos u get hw letters sent home, everytime u dun do ur hw.
if u dun wanan pay attention in class, dun come sefton, cos ull get a lack of application letter sent home.
if u wanan be a bad boy, or bad girl, dun come sefton, cos ull get behaviour records.
if u wnan defend ur freinds, ur not allowed, well u are, but ull get ur ass kiked for it. as in, if u simply PUSH sum1, u get suspended, no bs, ahha.
if u throw a waterbomb, u get suspended.
oh and dun fink theres drugs INSIDE the school either.
BUT we do have a libary, dat is nice now, and yeah, we got new books and textbooks these days, dat i fink u can boroow, as well as newspapers to read (well 1 copy of the daily newspaper in the libary)
also we do have computers, dat are pretty decent, and dats aobut 3 computer labs in the libary, basically 90 comps in the libary? (3 x 30)
if u wanan stay cool during the summer, and warm during winter, dun come sefton. we dun got air con, the comp labs, and i fink food tech rooms have air cons, but dats aobut it, atm. the libary, the hall and the rest of the places dun have air con, so dat pretty hot during hot days. and heaters, only sum rooms are warm, when they are turned on.
BUT the libary is warm on cold days.
ALSO, the back field, dat cost us 100k to fit in, new grass and all (which seems the same as the old one, and apparntly leveld out, seems to be the same bumpinesss level) now has soccer lines painted on it, even though u wont acutally be able to play full field soccer during lunch and recess, cos ppl will sit in the middle of the field to eat lunch. i fink.
if u wanna be loved by the principal, and the big ppl (ie deputeys and the ppl in the position of power) dun come sefton, cos forget aobut it, they all hate u, but that new mr green guy seems pretty cool. (on a side note, my friend, who's last name is blue, introduced herself to him, he thought she was mocking him)
if u wanna be funny, dun come sefton, actually, were ok at funnyness, were a bit lame, and all, cos we dun do anyhting, and there are intellectual jokes, dat arent that funny, but i guess its all cool, any laughter, is good laughter.
if u wanan play bball in the mornings, or do anythign else, dun come sefton, theres no superivision on the bball courts.
if u wanna have a swimming carnival every year, dun come sefton, cos for past 2 years, we havent had a proper one, only competitors go.
BUT dat may change, if the local swimming pool gets fixed (dobut it), school wont go sumwhere else to go swim
if u wnana have house captains and otehr cool stuff, dun come sefton, we dun have it anymore.
BUT, if u wanan win more easily in the sporting events, come sefton, cos allotta ppl are uncompetitive in non-academic areas. seems to be the trend.
if u wanan be entertained in class, dun come sefton, we have 4 x 80 mins periods a day. sum ppl have double maths, sounds fun.
BUT dat does mean theoretically u get a lighter bag to carry.
if u wnan study ultra cool subjects, dun come sefton, we dun have a wide selection of subs, studies of religion is the only 1 unit course available, other than the englsih, maths and history extensions(only in year 12)
if u wanan get in trboule for asking the principal" would u lyk an easter egg", come sefton. bitch.
BUT some teachers are quite cool. actually genuninely nice ppl. sum mite be shit teachers, but a totally cool person at heart.
if u wanna be treated lyk crap and unfairly, come sefton, cos theres plenty of dat.
if u wnan play netball on a formerly-grass-now-turned-dirt netball field, come sefton.
if u wanan use mobiles/mp3s/other electronic items, dun come sefton, ur not alloowed. and yes they will be confiscated, and u only get them back via a parent interview.
if u wannan be a gangsta, dun come sefton, theres nobody else to be gangsta with.
if u wanna feel lyk ur in a prison literally, come sefton, ahha we have barbed wire fences, and its all fenced and locked up, so yeah.
BUT ur safe from terrorits and other baddies
if u wanan jig, dun come sefton, its unjiggable, if jigging, is when u dun come school, and ur paretns are not notified of it. cos everythign u do in sefton, is recorded, u dun come school,/late or wateva, parents get rung up, and a letter is sent home.
oh and no gum as well.
haha this is off top of my head, plenty of more stuff to do.

yeah basically, if u want an education that is seeminly rare these days, that is ull get an education where it seems lyk ur hated, yet bubble-wrapped and protected, fuilly controlled and boring, but i guess if u apply urself, ull do well in ur academic studies. forget aobut everythign else. (haha were not even SUPER cool at our education, but getting there i fink)

of course life, isnt just aobut academic stuff, so go sumwhere else, if u wanan do other thigns as well. at sefton, u can do other thigns as well, its just, its not as good, and not allota ppl will join u, cos they gotta study or sumthing.
(btw sefton, is predominantly asian, theres lebos and other middle easterners, very few aussies, and little pieces here and there. so yeha, not really multicultralurly diverse, which is bad. but we all seem to get along well)

yeah, all these problems, i guess they can be fixed, haha im in SRC (dun seem lyk it, i noe) but no matter how hard we try, all the principal has to say, is 'no', and then we cant do it.

we do have a talent quest, ermm, disco? dat got cancelled last year but, haha. not many fun activies.

and at sefton, u gotta be a good boy and/or good girl, otherwise ull be a BADDDDDD CUNTTT. and dats bad. theres not allota ppl lyk that.

it seems lyk im scaring ppl away (its positive critisicm of my school, not dissing it. i fink), haha i duno. but yeah, seftons actualy a good school, main/only focus is ur academic performance.

c0okies

HSC
lol; i feel sorry for your school now - i think you're giving your school a very negative image

coolkoombaya

HSC
oh, and if u wanna make the move from sefton to fort street: is it worth it?
from a kinda biased seftoner's point of view, it not worth it.

AGAINST MOVING
`its only for 1.75 years.
`academic performance is practially the same (better, if u mainly care about maths)
`everyone goes tutor anyway, so ull learn it in tutor. so unfair for ppl who cant afford tutoring
`leaving freinds
`its further away (assuming u live closer to sefton than fort street)
`u prefer seftons way of teaching (ha u wouldnt noe how fort street teaches though)
`theres a good fish and chip shop as well as a kebaby shop in sefton station as well as a corner shop, a stonesthrow away from school.
`same distance to cheso station and shops
`2 supervised crossings
`forced studies
`quieter environment to learn in
`PCYC at station
`sum brothel and striphouse near the station, actually closer to walk to
`less pollution
`safer place to be
` toilets?( i went into fort street boys toilets b4, um, its small, cramped, and not too good either. at least ours is freshly painted =] ((after ppl dumped on the floors, dats SOOOOO WRONG)))
`making sure ur child grows up well(academically wise, since theres nothing else u can do, but academics)
`less stairs to climb
`petrol station
`pub and other stuff. (fort has a pub too)
`for not so rich ppl, school fees are cheap in comparison to other schools. ($110 i fink. theres other stuff to pay as well, but still, its cheap)
`handball courts(we dun got much facsiilites)
`garden thingo, dat says SHS from the sky
`we dun fink we're the best (unless compared to fort street, then HELL YEAH we are) haha im probably preducige as well then
`ppl get drive-byed and murdered every now and then
`feels lyk home.(ahah these points are dumber and dumber now)
`pretty clean, not much litter/graffitti
`we probs better off, if theres gonna be a terror attack in city. cos were further. but dw, ill be here to protect u.
`i go sefton( um ok, ahha)
`sum puddles here and there, if u lyk puddles to jump in after the rain
`can pretty much walk around the whole school, without being rained on. kinda
`closer to parra(2nd city, ha)
`closer to cabramatta (if ur asian, but then again, more and more non-asians going there, pretty much safe in comparison to 10-15 years ago)
`school burnt down( well parts of it)
`all the windows smashed in 1990 hailstorm
`HUGE PARK near it.
`less snobby(if u generalsie and say rich ppl are snobs)
`"nice" chiks and guys. as in, they not bad boy and/or bad girl, they follow rules and stuff, so u wont be accidently stabbed by them, or drugs or sumthing.
`unique (haha i guess anything is unique)

FOR MOVING:
`finding out theres more to life
`finding more ppl to hate
`doing drugs and bad stuff
`banging ppl (generally, asians dun bang too early, allota asians in sefton)
`more multicultrism (and more racism)
`extra corriculare activies, helping charities ( u can do this in sefton as well, but its not sponsered by the school)
`be in sum festival thingo (sefton ur not allowed anything to do)
`have plenty of shade
`slightly closer walk to sefton, but still quite a distance if ur lazy
`more facilites, such as tennis courts and other sporting options
`more famous (not if i turn into sum1 famous. then GO SEFTON!)
`older?(so, means ur older. old buildisngs, ahah, i duno. its lyk an wrinkly old chik/guy. sefton is lyk, a 21 y.o guy/chick in comparison. oh i duno wtf im on about)
`better train station (still 2 platforms, but its bigger. and more lines)
`more expensiver shops, so for rich ppl
`smarter ppl(THEORETICALLY. so HA)
`closer to city
`more bus services
`close to parra road
`smaller roads, so u can jaywalk more.
`small quiet park( mite get raped there. not cool)
`more snobby (if ur rich, gneralising saying, rich ppl snobby)
`other chiks.

oh i duno now, ahha stay in sefton, the more the merrier. and go the blue and white ( sefton colours, since fort is all about maroon. which happens to be QLD. so yeah, that aint cool. NSW is better, hence sefton)

wiht my 2 unit math and standard english (over fort street's compulsory advanced english) i conclude sefton>fort street
( i noe, this post was about if its worth it or not to go fort street, if ur in sefton year 10 already. i got off track, just lyk my essays. and probs everyting else. i noe im gonna get flamed, haha)

A l

HSC
N/A
I would have to agree there. I reckon it's all because of Sefton High School's principal who replaced the very principal currently governing Sydney Boys High School, in 2000. I guess it's all in the name of discipline and resourcefulness...lol
Would someone care to do the same for Fort Street High School?...lol:D

D

dzzlng_07

c0okies said:
lol; i feel sorry for your school now - i think you're giving your school a very negative image
aww.. nah man, coolkoombaya's cool, you gotta know him to judge him :) he's just a bit... ADD.. haha!

i'm not even gonna START reading that essay.. but yeahh..

personally i think changing from sefton to fort street wasn't as bad as i thought it would've been.. but honestly.. there's seriously not much difference between the two schools so yeah, i would give it a serous thought before changing schools esp if you're well adapted and all. But in the end, i rekon all the sefton-fortian transfer-ers (?) all like it and most of us (or all of us) dont regret it!:bomb:

sleepplease

HSC
my eyes wouldnt hurt so much if you could write in english coolkoombaya.. i fink lyk dat is so hard to understand! especially when you write essays as responses! Seriously though mate, people will read your posts (more) if you write them coherently.
Apart from that, yay for information overload!
soph :)

coolkoombaya

HSC
ha yeah, u noe wat i learnt? well not really learnt, but i got reminded not too judge stuff b4 u noe them. (haha hypocritcail cos i fink i was telling ppl to do dat too). so i shoudlnt judge stuff (ie. fort street), by just one person. as in, if sum fag goes fort, that doesnt mean the whole of fort are fags.
also, if i appear to be a fag, then not all of sefton is faggy. or sumthign, haha.

yeah, ill get over hating fort, sooner or later. find sumthign else to hate or diss.

some more info:
Sefton High exams in year 11 and year 12( i fink), go for 2 weeks long. about 2 subjects a day, science exams are 2 hours long, along with english and maths.
all exams have 5 minutes reading time. the rest of the subjects are about 1.5 hours long. if u dun have an exam on the day, u dun have to be at school, (means u can stay home and study or wateva). u have half yearlies and yearlies.

ive done this for year 11, but mite be differnt in year 12. i reckon it helps prepare u for year 12, cos it gets u used to the exam formats.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)