• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

selective school (2 Viewers)

A l

HSC
N/A
juyoung said:
Apparently after the current principal came to the school, Fort St's ranking just dropped... and all the teachers I've talked to thinks the principal should work somewhere else.. hmm...
Same case happened for Sefton High School.

Deluge

HSC
Haha. I go to Sefton.

I absolutely love it, and am considering not going to the school I made it to.

Why?

- Maths teachers ROCK and they mother you. In other words, they actually make sure you know what you're doing and some stay back even half of lunch just to assist you. Some even offer remedial lessons during lunch if you ask for them.
- History department ROCK ROCK ROCK. The best, I'd say, is Mr. Federico and he is absolutely brilliant at teaching. No joke. He taught history extension last year and under his tutelage, the students gained 50/50, 49/50, 48/50, which is seriously not easy to do because history extension is extremely challenging. It's also prudent to note that other teachers, like Ms. Konstantaras (lol, hi Ms. Konstantaras! [she has a habit of reading what students post on the net haha]) and Federico himself usually get around 40% of their students band six. The studies of religion teacher is also good too. Band sixes everywhere.
- Social science department are also rock-solid. There are quite a few teachers who are really brilliant. It's a wonder why they don't own businesses :eek:
- Science department is underrated, I think. It was given the title of best in terms of science in Sydney's west. Some of the really dazzlingly good ones have gone it seems, but the teachers in general are awesome. Our head teacher is really scary!!! LOL!!! He talks with this crowd pausing whisper, and, as rumours have it, has been known to burn the non-science homework students do in his class in beakers!!! LOL!!!
- Hospitality/Food Tech - the teachers mother you.
- The English staff is OK... past records have shown that only a handful of students achieve band sixes in English courses... but some teachers are really very wonderful and they're often the ones that are in high demand.

However, there are some liabilities that Sefton has. Our school - there aren't many opportunities. E.g. there will not be an art, music, drama, CAFS, French class next year for seniors, and this is causing major uproar from the students - natural. Another thing - the English teachers are being very selective with whom goes into advance and whom goes in standard. You really have to prove yourself capable of advanced to get in. What's more - in year 11, if you don't get above 70% for advanced, you will be relegated to standard. What can I say? We're very maths/science oriented. But that's fine. The majority of the school is Asian and English would not be our forte.

Also, Sefton doesn't have drama nights, multicultural nights, school musicals or productions and only stage and concert band. So if you're looking for something to sink your teeth into, perhaps Sefton would not be for you. In terms of sport - really, there's not much. It's OK - three basketball courts, two netball courts, two volleyball courts, one soccer field... have I missed anything? Some sport, you can do outside of school such as inter-grade. But really, there aren't many options other than the mundane sports (albeit popular) such as Bball, volleyball and netball.

I also really like the uniform. It's semi-formal. Not posh, or anything... but you know, uniform doesn't really count to the academic prowess, does it? =)

A lot of my friends are leaving to go to Fort St. Fort St takes a lot of Sefton students each year. What I say to them and would urge any one willing to go to any other selective school are as follows:

o If it's going to make you happy, then go for it. We friends shouldn't take you on a guilt trip.
o If you're going there because you will not be able to get a course you really want to do, then, by all means.
o If you're going there for the oppotunities, then, when you go, make sure you'll utilise your opportunities well and the sky would be the limit for you.
o If there are personal issues in your life such as bullying/not fitting in at your current school, maybe you should go because it might really be a blast.
o If you're going to other schools because it'll magically "bolster" your UAI, and for no other reason, then don't go, I'd say. Why? Because the system is fair for every one, I'd say. What I've realised is that the effort you put into your studies will be accurately reflected by your UAI. The system is fair for every one, and going to a school more highly ranked does not mean you would necessarily get a higher UAI. Why? Because if you were ranked say, 1st in Sefton but 11th at... say St. George Girls, then you would probably receive the same mark anyway!
o If you want to be pushed harder than ever with all the competition, then yeah, perhaps you should go, but there are plenty of ways to motivate yourself. Like sticking a target UAI on your folder or taking a positive approach to your studies. I believe that being an environment less-competitive and more relaxed would be better than being placed under constant strain and want of wanting to prove yourself - and overwhelmed by the competition. I've heard that many people who transfer from year 10 to year 11 at another school can just buckle under the pressure. You can burn out.
o Does the idea of becoming a leader (i.e. prefect, sport captain, captain) appeal to you? Because if you went, the chances of getting prefect are very slim, because prefect votes would be held at a time where the students will have only known you for a term or two.
o Would you like to be recognised for your achievements? I don't know if this holds any grain of truth or not, but, it seems that your achievements would not be acknowledged as much if you went to a school where the students are as well-rounded as you are. Of course, when you get involved in things, you shouldn't be doing it for the recognition, but it's always nice to receive some appreciative words about how you have contributed to your school.

Well, there are my four cents. I think we should all play our cards with caution because there are pros and cons with every decision we make. I hope... that I have helped? Haha.

- L.

Last edited:

Deluge

HSC
I just realised that I dug up a dead thread :eek:

But I hope my account wasn't too biased :confused:

=\

c0okies

HSC
nope; was quite neutral, thanks for offering real advice

frieda

Premium Member
HSC
Hey just in response to deluge, i want to make a quick correction. We don't have school captains or prefects - our main leadership roles are in the SRC and the src president, vice and cabinet (but i guess in the end people coming in year 11 are unable to take on those roles as they are reserved for year 11 members). However, you can still join the src for year 12 if you enter our school in year 11. oh and congratulations on James Ruse (i read about it in another thread)

HSC
N/A
Dude.... just out of curiosity, what exactly did you put in your application? How did you make it into Ruse?

Chiisora

HSC
N/A
Uni Grad
That was a REALLY long post... And I think that's one of the longest posts I've ever seen! Was that an attempted essay of some sort?

OK, selective schools... Wow. Is everyone on this forum from selective schools except for me!? I'm feeling stupid now ><

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
Chiisora said:
That was a REALLY long post... And I think that's one of the longest posts I've ever seen! Was that an attempted essay of some sort?

OK, selective schools... Wow. Is everyone on this forum from selective schools except for me!? I'm feeling stupid now ><
I've seen longer :eek: No, many people on this forum are not from a selective school, including me :)

Deluge

HSC
Haha. I think it's a great school, judging by its history, its program and how it manages to beat most selective schools annually. Not to mention the opportunities it offers... wow.

streetball

HSC
HaHa, wow my thread is still alive, wow

haha yep i didnt get in to selective in yr 6, and those other years... yepyep, haha i did have a high expectation, i wanted to get into ruse, and this year i did achieve that. ,Deluge also got in ruse this year haha...

but now i feel so dumb, haha im going to come last at JR

Sigh*

Deluge

HSC
I.e. me, =P

Seriously, I didn't know that I had revived a thread that had pushed up the daisies long ago. Hahahahah... maybe I need to pay closer attention to detail.

Hey soulsearcher, you go to Pats @ Fairfield right? Lol, lots of Asian parents want their children to go there.

Deluge

HSC
Really? I thought you had quite a large number of Asians there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)