Semester 1 Timetables (1 Viewer)

jet

Banned
HSC
From what I hear from people, it seems to have gotten much better than it previously was.

However, one thing I've always disliked about timetabling at USYD (and still do now) is that if you get difficult clashes, you need someone to set the timetable up for you. This is very inconvenient and somewhat stupid because when there are difficult clashes they usually result from classes having only a single stream available and having staff to assist with timetabling won't do any good on making that timetable better. Why not allow individuals take care of their own timetable? Or if this is not possible due to programming matters or whatever, at least show them their timetable with those difficult clashes?

and yes, you can tell that I've got difficult clashes lol. PCOL+STAT isn't too good a combination.
You may have noticed that some people get given their timetables with clashes and some people don't. That's because there are two 'types' of clashes.

The first type happens when there are two classes which don't have any alternate times. There's no choice with these classes and so the system knows it can't do anything about it. When this sort of clash happens, it gives the student their timetable.

The second type happens when there is a choice for a class in a unit of study, but every choice has a clash. This is what we call "difficult clashes". Difficult clashes are a problem for the system because it doesn't know anything about the student apart from what they're enrolled in. It doesn't know whether you'd prefer to have a lecture clash with a tute, or a practical clash with a tute, etc etc. So instead, it plays it safe and doesn't pick. The problem is that a large number of the difficult clashes I've seen are much more complicated than you usually expect. Some students have timetables where all 4 subjects clash in every combination of class possible, and it's probably going to be very, very confusing for them to try to sort it out themselves. That's the main reason why we get them to come in.

Bdogz

HSC
N/A
This is what we call "difficult clashes".
It says I have difficult clashes and need to attend staff-assisted timetable changes. Can I do this before O-week by any chance to avoid the crowds? Also, I don't understand how this could be possible since I'm following a pre-determined subject list for the intermediate stage of my degree and I'm sure the 500 other people in my degree have the same enrolment subjects, so would they all be affected?

jet

Banned
HSC
It says I have difficult clashes and need to attend staff-assisted timetable changes. Can I do this before O-week by any chance to avoid the crowds? Also, I don't understand how this could be possible since I'm following a pre-determined subject list for the intermediate stage of my degree and I'm sure the 500 other people in my degree have the same enrolment subjects, so would they all be affected?
We're open from Monday the 27th of Feb, but if you want to avoid crowds, don't attend on Mon the 27th or Wed the 29th. The Tuesday, Thursday and Friday generally get much fewer students. The second week of changes is generally less busy.

Honestly, I can't advise you on anything until you go in and see one of the advisors. There might be special requirements on your timetable which cause the clashes.

yananana

HSC
Hey everyone,

On the table below the timetable, for BIOL1903 (Human Biology Adv) it says "The central timetable does not have reliable details for this unit of study, please consult the department".
Does anyone know what this could mean and/or should I just call the Science Faculty and sort it out with them?

study-freak

Bored of
HSC
You may have noticed that some people get given their timetables with clashes and some people don't. That's because there are two 'types' of clashes.

The first type happens when there are two classes which don't have any alternate times. There's no choice with these classes and so the system knows it can't do anything about it. When this sort of clash happens, it gives the student their timetable.

The second type happens when there is a choice for a class in a unit of study, but every choice has a clash. This is what we call "difficult clashes". Difficult clashes are a problem for the system because it doesn't know anything about the student apart from what they're enrolled in. It doesn't know whether you'd prefer to have a lecture clash with a tute, or a practical clash with a tute, etc etc. So instead, it plays it safe and doesn't pick. The problem is that a large number of the difficult clashes I've seen are much more complicated than you usually expect. Some students have timetables where all 4 subjects clash in every combination of class possible, and it's probably going to be very, very confusing for them to try to sort it out themselves. That's the main reason why we get them to come in.
Ah I see, that's fair enough though I still don't like how every student with difficult clashes have to go and see timetabling unit staff in person. People who care about it anyway looks at the central timetable and use excel or whatever to work it out first anyway. Shouldn't they just get given a choice to have a staff to assist with their timetable if it's really complicated and they are confused? Making all students with such clashes to see timetabling unit staff in person is a little unfair, I think.
E.g. My case happens to be that it's "difficult" because there are two possible times for a computer lab (1hr long), both of which clash but one of which clashes for less number of weeks. So that's why I thought it's only logical to just give the timetable with less clashes to me (or have me fix it up) but prob it's too complicated for the system to work out by itself.

Last edited:

Obvious

HSC
Uni Grad

Not too bad, although getting up at 6:00am isn't something I enjoy.

Edit: Quick question, if I have a MATH1001 tutorial before I even start any lectures for that subject, what am I supposed to be doing/studying during that period?

Last edited:

MetalTheory

HSC
Uni Grad
University timetable 2012.png

EDIT: Reconfigured my timetable to something that I like a lot more. Good to see the 8am classes gone, but then I also wonder if it's possible to get from Merewether to Wallace in 10 minutes.

Last edited:

physicsman1200

HSC
Should I be worried if I have lectures/tutorials that immediately follow each other when venues are fairly far from each other? Eg Aeronautical building & New Law Building.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Edit: Quick question, if I have a MATH1001 tutorial before I even start any lectures for that subject, what am I supposed to be doing/studying during that period?
Tutes start week 2. (This is indicated on the timetable)

izzy88

HSC
Tutorials generally start in week 2. They generally cover the material covered in the lectures the week before. So the first tutorial in week 2 will cover material of week 1 lectures.

Should I be worried if I have lectures/tutorials that immediately follow each other when venues are fairly far from each other? Eg Aeronautical building & New Law Building.
10 minutes is generally enough unless you are walking from engineering to wallace/footbridge (completely opposite sides of campus) or something similar. However if that's the case, you just end up being 5 minutes late, or leaving the class prior 5 minutes early (I did that walk for a semester). If your lecturer says something, just say you have class in a far away location.

Saying that, Aeronautical and law building aren't that far away from each other. You should make in 10 minutes I would think.

I'm more concerned about finishing class on main campus at 4pm and making it to old law school building in the city for a 4.30 class. I know it can be done (just), but its going to be annoying! I know why there are still classes in the old law school, but it really makes timetabling/life difficult.

Last edited:

Proteus

HSC

Central timetable says there are two ECMT1010 classes on Monday and two on Thursday, both 8-10AM

If I block both Thursday and Friday 8-10am off but it doesn't move to Monday 8-10aM, does that mean the class is currently full?

I would really love it to be moved to Monday........... what can I do about it?! :confused2:

Bdogz

HSC
N/A
We're open from Monday the 27th of Feb, but if you want to avoid crowds, don't attend on Mon the 27th or Wed the 29th. The Tuesday, Thursday and Friday generally get much fewer students. The second week of changes is generally less busy.

Honestly, I can't advise you on anything until you go in and see one of the advisors. There might be special requirements on your timetable which cause the clashes.
Thanks for heads up

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Not at liberty because you are ignorant of the cause/problem. Or not at liberty because you're not allowed to reveal the information?

Edit: Saw your edit. I'm still refreshing, because I dont believe your shit :)
Yeah, you can be as misguided as you want - jetblack2007 does work for Timetabling.

As for the system - I think this system is a definite improvement, and will benefit the vast majority of students.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
EDIT: Reconfigured my timetable to something that I like a lot more. Good to see the 8am classes gone, but then I also wonder if it's possible to get from Merewether to Wallace in 10 minutes.
Impossible.

Central timetable says there are two ECMT1010 classes on Monday and two on Thursday, both 8-10AM

If I block both Thursday and Friday 8-10am off but it doesn't move to Monday 8-10aM, does that mean the class is currently full?

I would really love it to be moved to Monday........... what can I do about it?! :confused2:
Go to the uni and ask.

View attachment 24414
bit jam packed compared to others but not to bad
Ew.

VIPPER

Aiiiiiiiii
HSC
Quite lame how USYD doesn't let you decide on your own lec/tut times. My friends at UWS seem to be able to.

funnytomato

HSC
Quite lame how USYD doesn't let you decide on your own lec/tut times. My friends at UWS seem to be able to.
It's much better than last year's
I tried to play around with the customising function a few times, turns out the first one was the best one :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)