Semester 2 Chatter Thread (2007) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Re: Semester II Chatter Thread!

Triangulum said:
Refusing to use the term 'sudden death' is hardly equivalent to having sympathy for the murdered.
Well apparently, according to what Malfoy said in her original post, it is.

Malfoy said:
Well, I'm sorry for not fucking thinking that random comments about so-called militarism have a bloody place in English marking criteria. I don't give a fuck if you're a left-wing, bleeding heart ideologue, university is for learning and not so you can push your bloody political opinions WHICH HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH GRAMMAR onto your poor hapless students.

If we were doing a Government/Political Economy/History subject and discussing the war, maybe so... but random comments interjected into the marking criteria for grammar? Seriously unwarranted, and totally oversensitive in the context.
Unwarranted in a grammar course? Yeah probably. In most other English courses I could see why it'd be relevant though. But it's not worth getting that hyped up over surely.

Funny how the majority of the most educated people in the world subscribe to those beliefs though, isn't it? ;)

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC

Malfoy said:
Guys doing ENGL1007: The marking criteria for the second exercise is up if you want to take a stab at how you went.

If I took a guess as to my marks this go around I'd say I also failed this exercise as well (maybe got 35-40%).

(And wtf was with Nick Riemer adding an aside into his notes saying, essentially, that he doesn't like using the words "sudden death" because it sounds militaristic and has overtones of the War on Terror? Oversensitive, much? :confused::rolleyes:)
oh shit i really think i failed. cry. maybe i just speak retardedly but i dont remember my phonetic transcription being much like the answer in the notes. oh dear.

oh good i wasn't the only person who lol'd at the sudden death thing. hehe.
Nick is so...pattable, though. so nice. like kind of almost too nice/sensitive sometimes. i dunno its hard to explain. but i've never had such an accomodating nice teacher before so i likes him :) (yeah i know i'm saying 'nice' a lot. i can't think of a better word right now lol).

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC

The marking critieria thing sounds like sleepy rambling to me.

Anywho, today I wrote 2000 words on human development theory. Well done me for having quite well organised research notes, it was a snap to write.

Problem is that 2000 is the word limit and I haven't got an intro or a conclusion yet, and still have lecture notes and course reading to include (if I can find anything worth including). So looks like i'll have to cut a couple of hundred words. Ah well.

I'm still proud of me for writing that much in one day. I wasn't even awake until 1230, and I watched a bunch of TV and baked a loaf of bread.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC

I went over the +10% thing last semester by a good margin and still managed 74, so I guess it's not strictly enforced...in first year anyway. And I doubt Dr. Stevie would tell the tutors to be terribly strict about it - he doesn't seem like that.

Right now mine's at 2199 words. :rofl: I'll probably chop some crap and add some stuff to it later on tonight when I proof read the whole thing with my trusty pencil.

stazi

Nightman
HSC

the word limit is always problematic. either you have trouble writing the required number of words, or you have a problem sticking to the prescribed word limit.

stazi

Nightman
HSC

Nebuchanezzar said:
I went over the +10% thing last semester by a good margin and still managed 74, so I guess it's not strictly enforced...in first year anyway. And I doubt Dr. Stevie would tell the tutors to be terribly strict about it - he doesn't seem like that.

Right now mine's at 2199 words. :rofl: I'll probably chop some crap and add some stuff to it later on tonight when I proof read the whole thing with my trusty pencil.
the word limit can be a problem if your tutor doesnt like you. then he/she will be motivated to actually count the number of words, and fuck you in the anus if they suspect that youre being a jew

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC

Ah well the thing is even though there's a percentage leeway, i'm bound to go over it. Like way over. Hence editing. There's prolly stuff I don't need right now anyway.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC

Margarita luvs me. :eek:

but there's a possibility that she won't mark my essay and therefore I'll have to suffer being fucked in the anus for being a jew!!!

!!!

edit: what theorists did you cover ms. bunny?

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC

Nebuchanezzar said:
Margarita luvs me. :eek:

but there's a possibility that she won't mark my essay and therefore I'll have to suffer being fucked in the anus for being a jew!!!

!!!

edit: what theorists did you cover ms. bunny?
I wrote about Freud, Erikson and Piaget. I think everyone else in the world might have, too. I just started researching and they had lots of info so I went for them, because usually I have trouble making the word limit without fluffing it up.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC

I was talking to someone the other day about who they were doing and suprise surpise they said they were doing Erikson, Vygotsky and Skinner (I think). I was in a state of shock that they weren't doing Erikson, Freud and Piaget like yourself, myself and everyone else seems to be doing.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC

yeah everyone is doing those three. everyone. myself included. i considered kicking out piaget in favour of kohlberg this morning but i'm too lazy to go and re-research and i have so much stuff on piaget. and it's due tomorrow, etc.

so yay, conformity :D

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC

Making us do three theorists was bloody absurd. Damn you Dr. Stevie! I mean...seriously, it's incredibly difficult to cover two theories in 2000 words. Three is impossible.

But I just finished getting all the links off the internet (although Blackwell Synergy was down so it took me a while to find the links for one of my journal articles), so I'm done.

*reads Malfoy's thing*

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC

He held a vote in the first lecture to decide. I wish people would have actually considered the vote and the implications of it rather than just taking what appeared to be the easy option.

Fools.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC

Bah, what can I say. Hopefully everyone who voted that way will suffer.

Anyway, I'm done with this God forsaken assignment. Off to have a shower then play roller coaster tycoon 3. Wheeeee! After that it's buckling down to get a bio essay done and then begin exam revision.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC

Malfoy said:
I think three is unreasonable if he wants you to go into any depth - it was like with EDUF 2007 when we had to discuss four sources in 1000 words, which was almost impossible.

Two is probably better.
two would have been so much better. dammit i have 1,900 words at the moment and i'm seeing about another 500-600 words to come, not counting the conclusion. i've only outlined the three theories and critiqued one so far and i'm just about at the word limit. BAH.
also i now think picking piaget was a bad idea. there is SO MUCH to write about with him. i feel like i'm not doing the theory justice by only covering the basics but hell we just don't have the word-room. ah well.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC

There's a lot of offhand comments thrown about in my essay because there was no room. Perhaps I should email Dr. Stevie and let him have it. :mad1:

What font do you people use? I assume that Malfoy was using Arial? I use Palatino Linotype most of the time but for this one I went Book Antiqua for something different. I was gonna use Garamond but it printed out very lightly so I didn't. Talking about fonts is fun!

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC

Times New Roman sucks balls. That Claibri thing looks a bit suss to me. Apple Garamond (a free download from many places) is pretty sexy. Pity no-one has Optima for a free download. That'd give me multiple orgasms.

That concludes my boring foray into the world of fonts for this thread. I'm sorry. :(

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC

Maybe it's just on my computer, but it looks a little messy to me. The letters are all wacky shaped and the thickness of the letters in different places looks odd. I didn't notice that with your other assignment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)