• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Sexism - The experiences of women and men (5 Viewers)

AB940

HSC
Uni Grad
Have a look at how much shit Tony Abbott is getting at the moment over his comments. Look at how much shit, say, Kyle Sandilands gets over his appearance (first thing I could think of). It ain't a gender thing, stop trying to make it look like one.
His comments are representative of his own opinions and have been controversial. Criticism a politician's appearance is ridiculous not to mention entirely irrelevant. I haven't even heard anything about Kyle Sandilands' appearance. I know he gets a lot of shit, but again, it's first and foremost for his inflammatory comments.

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
His comments are representative of his own opinions and have been controversial. Criticism a politician's appearance is ridiculous not to mention entirely irrelevant. I haven't even heard anything about Kyle Sandilands' appearance. I know he gets a lot of shit, but again, it's first and foremost for his inflammatory comments.
I still don't think anyone had a problem with her being a woman though. I'd say the two biggest factors in it were 1) she wasn't elected by the public, and 2) it's politics, everyone is subject to having their shortcomings continually criticised.

I'm not saying there aren't sexist people out there, but I don't think that is why she gets given so much shit.

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
I still don't think anyone had a problem with her being a woman though. I'd say the two biggest factors in it were 1) she wasn't elected by the public, and 2) it's politics, everyone is subject to having their shortcomings continually criticised.

I'm not saying there aren't sexist people out there, but I don't think that is why she gets given so much shit.
Yeah , there were many sexist people out there commenting on the gillard hate page. Some of what has been discussed here had been already said on the page.

RealiseNothing

HSC
Gee, maybe because they ARE misogynistic and he's finally being called out on them!

Gillard is not grossly overweight (assuming that's what people are saying about Kyle idk I don't pay attention to him), but things like identifying someone as a ginger and using that as a means to mock her, or language like 'bitch'. Men in politics are hardly ever called douchebags or dickheads or cunts in the media. It's not comparable.

And never, ever, has a male politician ever been asked if his partner was gay. Never.
Why do you think every single guy is a misogynist exactly? The amount of people you have called it is incredible. Maybe they aren't the problem.

AB940

HSC
Uni Grad

I have seen several people infer that they believe she was only elected as a gimmick opportunity for a first female PM. Was it the primary reason why she got so much crap? that's open to debate. But words like 'bitch' got thrown around an awful lot more than they should have for 'valid criticism about her policies'.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Gillard is not grossly overweight (assuming that's what people are saying about Kyle idk I don't pay attention to him), but things like identifying someone as a ginger and using that as a means to mock her, or language like 'bitch'. Men in politics are hardly ever called douchebags or dickheads or cunts in the media. It's not comparable.
We talked about Abbott about his Speedos and how fucking ugly and gorilla-like his body was. If there is a politician we don't like, they will get shit either way. It's not just Gillard so stop talking like she's the only one that's every gotten shit from the media.

RealiseNothing

HSC
I have seen several people infer that they believe she was only elected as a gimmick opportunity for a first female PM. Was it the primary reason why she got so much crap? that's open to debate. But words like 'bitch' got thrown around an awful lot more than they should have for 'valid criticism about her policies'.
I agree with that, she shouldn't be called a bitch and I see where you are coming from, and maybe the media is being harsh on her for being a woman (I'm not 100% sure if they were or weren't). But I would bet that 95% of the public who did hate her, didn't hate her for being a woman but for the two reasons I said above.

RealiseNothing

HSC
We talked about Abbott about his Speedos and how fucking ugly and gorilla-like his body was. If there is a politician we don't like, they will get shit either way. It's not just Gillard so stop talking like she's the only one that's every gotten shit from the media.
This too. Also instead of looking solely at women who the media portray in a bad light, how about considering all the women that are highly respected? E.g. look at the recent situation regarding Oprah and how the media has backed her up (as far as I know).

Emily Howard

HSC
I was just responding to that person earlier, not trying to make it fully conclusive. Also there wasn't massively high variability in the research tests so idk what you're talking about there or which studies you've read, but it doesn't sound like the same ones I looked at in cognition last sem.

Gee, maybe because they ARE misogynistic and he's finally being called out on them!

And never, ever, has a male politician ever been asked if his partner was gay. Never.
its bcoz he is a hairdresser if he was a brick layer it wld hav never been brought up ~traditional gender roles issue~

Emily Howard

HSC
m8 98% ov da population r morons but yes dey did try to milk her first fem PM n bein a women etc to get women votes

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
This too. Also instead of looking solely at women who the media portray in a bad light, how about considering all the women that are highly respected? E.g. look at the recent situation regarding Oprah and how the media has backed her up (as far as I know).
The handbag one?

I do not support it at all.

Emily Howard

HSC
Have a look at how much shit Tony Abbott is getting at the moment over his comments. Look at how much shit, say, Kyle Sandilands gets over his appearance (first thing I could think of). It ain't a gender thing, stop trying to make it look like one.
tony abbott continuously gets shit esp d misogynist label he gets hit wit even wen its totally unrelated

if u guys r going to talk politics i suggest u watch da day to day politics ov parliament

gizzard was renown for personally attackin anyone if dey questioned her, it was her tactic to avoid answering Q's, yes she did say horrible dings

RealiseNothing

HSC
ye seems to be a fabricated fantasy

oprah is known fo dis shit
Apparently the store assistant who served her has come out and denied it actually happened. Now considering Oprah never actually mentioned which store is was or who the assistant was, I don't see why this person would come out and deny it unless it seriously did not happen (it's not like the store/assistant got bad publicity since they weren't named). So I'm pretty sceptical as to whether it's actually true.

Either way, the media has basically supported Oprah, so the point still stands.

Emily Howard

HSC
Apparently the store assistant who served her has come out and denied it actually happened. Now considering Oprah never actually mentioned which store is was or who the assistant was, I don't see why this person would come out and deny it unless it seriously did not happen (it's not like the store/assistant got bad publicity since they weren't named). So I'm pretty sceptical as to whether it's actually true.

Either way, the media has basically supported Oprah, so the point still stands.
the media got to da store first as far as i know

store manager said assistant was good to media

few days later she came out to media

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)