Should a General Student know how to do this? (1 Viewer)

brettymaccc

HSC
G'day, I did MX2 in my HSC last year and am tutoring a few kids maths this year.

One of my General Maths HSC Students got a problem in her last test she had no clue about, and I don't think it's in her syllabus. I had a look but the maths syllabus is vague...

Here's the question:

Simplify:
1/(a^2+2a+1) + 1/(a+1)

So you would make the left hand fraction (a+1)^2, then get a common denominator of (a+1)^2, then simplify from there.

It was only 1 mark in her test but I don't wanna spend several hours teaching her expansions with two sets of brackets, then perfect squares etc etc.

Any help would be appreciated.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Yes, a General Maths student should know how to do this. In fact, a Year 9 Maths student should know how to do this.

enoilgam

HSC
Wouldnt you just cross multiply with this question, then simplify and cancel out from there?

brettymaccc

HSC
Carrot, that's what you should do but I wasn't sure if a general student should be able to identify that a^2+2a+1 = (1+a)^2.

Are you certain that a Year 9 student should be able to do this? Is it in their syllabus?

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Carrot, that's what you should do but I wasn't sure if a general student should be able to identify that a^2+2a+1 = (1+a)^2.

Are you certain that a Year 9 student should be able to do this? Is it in their syllabus?
Yes, General Maths students should know how to expand basic binomials like that.

You appear to be severely underestimating the General Maths syllabus (don't worry, I understand).

enoilgam

HSC

Its more of a harder year 10 5.3 level question. 5.2 and 5.1 students dont cover binomials.

GingerKid1

Banned
HSC
N/A
a general student should know how to not be a fukin retard and ask pointless questions.

smartalec

HSC
gonna just be blunt and get all the negative rep - but i don't care, i neg rep you back -
but i got a band 6 in general and honestly, wouldn't know how to answer that. i don't think its in the general syllabus. I'm sure it was in the 5.3 syllabus though

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
gonna just be blunt and get all the negative rep - but i don't care, i neg rep you back -
but i got a band 6 in general and honestly, wouldn't know how to answer that. i don't think its in the general syllabus. I'm sure it was in the 5.3 syllabus though
Why would we neg you for that?

D94

HSC
N/A
Possibly in the syllabus, but you need to bend what it asks for to match your question:

Page 76:

AM4: Modelling linear and non-linear relationships

- noting that different forms of an expression produce identical graphs, eg

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Negged for being in general.

Arikasa

HSC
I was going thru the hsc exam and I dont no how 2 do this question

Furniture priced at $20 000 is purchased. A deposit of 15% is paid.

The balance is borrowed using a flat-rate loan at 19% per annum interest, to be
repaid in equal monthly instalments over five years.

What will be the amount of each monthly instalment? Justify your answer with
suitable calculations

HSC
0.15 x 20 000 = 3000$ deposit.

19%x5x17000= 16150 interest

17000+16150 = 33150$

5x 12 = 60 months.

33150 / 60 = 552.50 per month not including deposit

I was just assuming this is the answer, i suck at general stuff.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)