Should English be compulsory?? (1 Viewer)

D94

HSC
N/A
That's true, I find it strange that they can do all those and yet year 11 and 12 all in class stuff as well as HSC was essays or narrative (for creative writing ofc)...
Yeah, hopefully it's just going to be essays and the narrative this year too, at least for most of the cohort who have just prepared for essays and the narrative :p

yours

HSC
Yeah, hopefully it's just going to be essays and the narrative this year too, at least for most of the cohort who have just prepared for essays and the narrative :p
Is there a way to do analysis in a 'speech' style? I know most people would just adapt the intro and conclusion to address an audience and change the register, but is there even a style you use to adapt the 'quote-technique-effect' scaffold? Instead of saying 'composer' uses 'technique' in 'this example', is there a way to do this where it sounds more like a speech?

D94

HSC
N/A
Is there a way to do analysis in a 'speech' style? I know most people would just adapt the intro and conclusion to address an audience and change the register, but is there even a style you use to adapt the 'quote-technique-effect' scaffold? Instead of saying 'composer' uses 'technique' in 'this example', is there a way to do this where it sounds more like a speech?
Didn't you do a speech task as an assessment? o.0 Anyway, it would be similar to an essay I guess and with your examples, but TBH, I wouldn't want to be writing a speech.

Last edited:

yours

HSC
Didn't you do a speech task as an assessment? o.0 Anyway, it would be similar to an essay I guess and with your examples, but TBH, I wouldn't want to writing a speech.
Yes. You can't write 'I don't want to write a speech' on the day.

tryingisfailing

HSC
Ew, no. Maybe up until year 10. And the fact that english has 2 exams makes it even worse --'

imbecile

HSC
I don't think English should be compulsory, and although I act like I hate it, I probably would have chosen it anyway.

jamesischool

Forum Lurker
HSC
Uni Grad
i don't see why 2 units of your HSC have to be used on something you're absolutely shit at. i suck at english purely because i can't write an essay. i have no intentions of doing a uni course which focuses on english and i doubt that i'll use any of what i've learned in 11 and 12 english later in life. up til year 10 i think its a good idea but by year 10 students should know if they want to further their english skills or focus on something else.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
You'd be surprise at just how much you use the skills from year 11 & 12 English. I can assure you, the level of skill you leave year 10 with is not nearly as high as it appears at the time.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
I do Engineering/Commerce, so far in Engineering I have yet to see any "skill" learnt in HSC English being used, in Commerce sure you write essays but they are in a completely different style to what you learn in English and you have to learn from scratch anyways.

tis' my experiences.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
I adapted the structure of my English essays to Commerce fairly easily, and get consistent D/HDs with them.

I think the current English system needs an overhaul, but I'm glad it's mandatory.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
Yes. It is the national language.

If you fail year 10 English you should have to repeat Year 10 (until you do pass year 10 English - until you pass it you are not allowed to leave school). If you migrate to Australia after year 10 you should have to take an equivalent English level competency course. If you fail Year 12 English you should fail the HSC and have to repeat the year if you want to get the HSC certificate. If you live overseas and want to attend university in Australia and are from a country where English is not the recognised main language you should have to pass a rigorous English language competency test before you are allowed to commence studies in Australia.

RishBonjour

HSC
No, It should not be compulsory.
you learn all the basic stuff until year 10

After that what do you learn? how to memorise 1000 words and bulshit in the exam (for majority of people doing english).

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
more like synthesise ideas and summarise a large volume of work into a clear cut driving essay which forces a point of view

George121

HSC
English should not be compulsory.

especially if you want to do a job that is entirely based on mathematics.

or even council work.

don't see how writing essays in 40 minutes will be of any benefit for those circumstances to be honest.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
English should not be compulsory.

especially if you want to do a job that is entirely based on mathematics.
You need to be able to write in a professional manner still. No one wants to hire a person who is brilliant at maths but has no social or professional skills.

George121

HSC
You need to be able to write in a professional manner still. No one wants to hire a person who is brilliant at maths but has no social or professional skills.
No-one will hire you if you tell them "i can write a good essay, which i memorized the night before, in 40 minutes." They won't care.

hayabusaboston

HSC
I say that it should be compulsory, even though I hate English to the core, it allows you to learn how to structure/write a formal piece of writing even thought it may just be memorising you tutors essay on crap you'll never use in your life.

I improved so much from year 10 onwards with my writing, so yes It should be compulsory, BUT the choice of whether you want it to count or not should be up to you. Now someone may argue why do it then? because it will teach you things which may come in handy at some point in life, even if that's 20 years down the track, you're setting the foundations now.

that said, I hate English.
woah iruler were you demoted from moderator? Why the fuck cant you learn how to structure/write a formal piece of writing in year 10? Whats so fucking impossible to do in yr 10??? WHY DO YOU HAVE TO DO IT IN YR 11 AND 12????? Im sorry but it FUCKING pisses me off, it is ENTIRELY achievable to learn advanced english leading up to year 10, you do NOT need to fucking drag it on and EVEN MAKE IT COUNT FOR YOUR ATAR!!! It can easily be finished completely by the start of yr 11. Why doesn't mister Picollo understand that there is nooo need to burden yr 12 students with something that they could have done yeeaars ago....

krnofdrg

Mq Law Student :)
HSC
Uni Grad
Yes. It is the national language.

If you fail year 10 English you should have to repeat Year 10 (until you do pass year 10 English - until you pass it you are not allowed to leave school). If you migrate to Australia after year 10 you should have to take an equivalent English level competency course. If you fail Year 12 English you should fail the HSC and have to repeat the year if you want to get the HSC certificate. If you live overseas and want to attend university in Australia and are from a country where English is not the recognised main language you should have to pass a rigorous English language competency test before you are allowed to commence studies in Australia.
Exactly this.

I don't even know why this is a question, but of course it should be compulsory. You don't want a nation full of illiterates.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)