Should English be compulsory?? (1 Viewer)

TheGreatest99.95

Premium Member
HSC
I hate English sooo much and my teacher is a complete ass, he gets off by picking on kids (small balding man syndrome).
That being said it should still be compulsory just not count towards the ATAR and the syllabus needs some serious work

powlmao

Banned
HSC
I hate English sooo much and my teacher is a complete ass, he gets off by picking on kids (small balding man syndrome).
That being said it should still be compulsory just not count towards the ATAR and the syllabus needs some serious work
My teacher is actually pretty hot, and she can actually teacher.................so + for us :p

hungwell1337

HSC
N/A
Perhaps, but I don't think it should count towards the ATAR.
Just because I don't achieve highly in english doesn't make me unable to do a maths/science/finance course.
if your english mark actually prevents you from getting into your desired maths/science/commerce degree, then you ARE unable have a successful career in maths/science/finance

english => more eloquent => able to put ideas down on paper => better at doing assignments (yes there are essays in maths) => better marks

also you do realize in many other countries, english/maths/history/geography/science/PE is compulsory until university

powlmao

Banned
HSC
if your english mark actually prevents you from getting into your desired maths/science/commerce degree, then you ARE unable have a successful career in maths/science/finance

english => more eloquent => able to put ideas down on paper => better at doing assignments (yes there are essays in maths) => better marks

also you do realize in many other countries, english/maths/history/geography/science/PE is compulsory until university
True this

If you can't do the basic english, you cannot do english

pony_magician

townie for worst user
HSC

As I said, just because I don't write what the markers want to read, doesn't make me unable to pursue maths/science/finance.
English is far too subjective.

epicFAILx

HSC
Yes, because we live in Australia. :)

Though I reckon English Advanced should be compulsory so everyone is tested equally rather than..standard..of course if people are extremely good in english theyd do extension. Reguardless. Its a yes :)

though i am frustrated religion is compulsory

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
it would be better if the HSC curriculum was put into year 10, and etc... then no English for yr 11 & 12? smart move.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Year 10 english I reckon is sufficient enough tbh...
Having reading the essays many people write at uni, I'm leaning to say that even year 12 English isn't sufficient enough.

goobi

HSC
IMO English should be compulsory simply because Australia is a mainly English-speaking country. It's like Chinese is compulsory in China, French is compulsory in France...

funnytomato

HSC
Also no matter how much we argue against (or suggest changes to) it here, nobody will actually do anything about it.

Gigacube

HSC
English should be compulsory but what we learn should change so we can apply more of it to real life. I agree that Shakespeare should be studied but it shouldn't be compulsory for those who don't choose to do higher levels of English.

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Shoulda added a poll in the thread tbh, can a mod do it?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
English should be compulsory. I think the emphasis should be less on analysis of texts and more on writing - because that's what the skill is, writing.

I don't take English to analyse stuff and whatnot, I take it to learn how to express thoughts in my head on paper and in words. And the joy in stringing together a few words to make a masterfully crafted sentence is... really fulfilling.

Seeing the way some people write at uni, they do need higher levels of English. I do NOT want us to go down the American way of systematic analysis and definitions of what a verb is and what a pronoun is and all that stuff.

I'm thinking stuff like in Extension 1 English would be awesome - because that is based on why texts are as they are - so we study the underlying theory of the books and stuff we read.

Advanced and Standard can go die. Bullcrap English analysis is stupid.

Also, more creative writing is always welcome - but I agree we need essay skills for things like uni, so I think we should replace analysis of stuff with a study of the underpinning structures of texts - which I think is more interesting.

RANK 1

HSC
english is important but it shouldn't be just analysing essays, poems and shit. there should be differing topics and factors of english or maybe an optional english module which inlcudes things like scientific literature

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)