Should English be compulsory?? (2 Viewers)

kfnmpah

HSC
So essentially you're saying: "I sucked at English, hence it shouldn't be compulsory".
How rude. I actually did try at English, it's just not my thing. I'm sure I'm not the only person who just isn't good at English. I'm at uni now and I'm over it. I have to write essays for the education portion of my degree and I'm pushing through.

I'm JUST saying it'd be swell if people could choose between maths and english being their compulsory 2 units. That's all I originally said, I don't know why some people on here can't just chill out and not feel like it's their duty to attack opinions different to their own.

In the words of Albert Einstein: "Everyone is a genius, but if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid"
This is exactly why I think people should be able to choose and not be forced into something they're not good at/really don't like doing. It's got nothing to do with scaling or anything of the sort, and I know nothing will come of this. I just think it'd be excellent if students had a choice.

My opinion is different to yours. Get over it.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
For some subjects, the degree of scaling seems fair to me, while for others, the scaling is simply not reflective of the difficulty of the course. I think you and I can both agree that some subjects scale much more than they probably should, while others are the opposite.

Regardless, it's impossible to get a scaling system that satisfies everyone, so I think we just have to deal with what we get haha.
I think when it comes to the very small cohorts - like in Languages - some of the scaling is ridiculous. But for the big mainstream subjects, it seems about right. So for a general system, I think it's okay.

How rude. I actually did try at English, it's just not my thing. I'm sure I'm not the only person who just isn't good at English. I'm at uni now and I'm over it. I have to write essays for the education portion of my degree and I'm pushing through.

I'm JUST saying it'd be swell if people could choose between maths and english being their compulsory 2 units. That's all I originally said, I don't know why some people on here can't just chill out and not feel like it's their duty to attack opinions different to their own.

In the words of Albert Einstein: "Everyone is a genius, but if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid"
This is exactly why I think people should be able to choose and not be forced into something they're not good at/really don't like doing. It's got nothing to do with scaling or anything of the sort, and I know nothing will come of this. I just think it'd be excellent if students had a choice.

Yes, it'd be fantastic if people had a choice - however, the thing is that when we are considering it to make a workable system in determining who gets into what university course - it fails.

I think if you allow maths or English to be compulsory, you're still going to be 'scaling' based on how they go in common subjects. And that'll be even worse - because you may end up finding out how say... Japanese will scale based on how a portion of the students go in maths and how a portion go in English, and the numbers may not match up (perhaps the maths people go awesome and the English people fail - so how do you scale Japanese then if maths and English are the yardstick and thus are not scaled at all?).

English being compulsory I think is accepted - English being the yardstick that is used to scale other subjects is disputed, but it's probably the best system we can have. If we say 'no scaling', then I might as well have done General Maths and gotten 100 in that rather than take Extension Maths and get something lower - and hence be disadvantaged in a way (unless universities gave like bonus points for performance in subjects).

That's a bit dramatic. Plus, they're already making people do English when a lot of people really don't want to- I came 9th last in advanced english, but was top 3 in all my other classes. I calculated my UAI using religion as my other 2 units instead of english and it went up by like 7 or something. How is that fair?
But, hey, each to their own. I think maths is important (and also the best) and I think English is important (but also the worst). The HSC isn't gonna change any time soon, so meh. The thread asked for our opinion, so I gave mine. I just think it'd be neato if students atleast had the option of choosing between the two, maths or english, because they might be able to pick one they prefer/compliments their other subjects more. Who cares about having to do 2u or advanced, but a choice between the 2 wouldn't be bad.

ANYWAY c'est tout. I have a maths exam and 5.5 weeks uni break to prepare myself for.
It may not be fair to some, while totally fair for others. Despite that, it is perhaps the best system we can get. I disagree strongly with the content of Advanced and Standard English - I think that Extension 1 English is a fantastic mix of theory and creative writing (50/50), as it should be. Extension 2 would be great - however we'd get mass plagiarism and the like.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm pretty sure they can come up with other ways of scaling subjects without english. Keeping english compulsory because of scaling reasons is stupid.

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
I'm pretty sure they can come up with other ways of scaling subjects without english. Keeping english compulsory because of scaling reasons is stupid.
This I agree with.

kfnmpah

HSC
I was going to rep you for this, but I already repped you yesterday and BOS won't let me *shakes fist*

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
I apologise - that came out a lot harsher than I intended it to. I meant: "I did badly at English, hence I'm against it being compulsory". It's just one of the trends with -all- the people who are against English being compulsory, just happened to be negatively affected by it.

I've got nothing against different opinions - you'll notice that I only attack those opinions which I see as flawed in terms of their line of thinking. I see the whole: "I did badly, hence, let's get rid of it because it -will/would have- benefited" me falls down on a whole heap of levels.

And what ways could you think of? It's quite easy to be on the outside throwing stones, but a lot more difficult to be on the inside building it up. I don't think I could think of any other way of scaling subjects without English.

Nevertheless, I agree with calls made by absolutezero et al about ensuring that English from 7-10 (maybe even 11) be about the fundamentals of English.

And I agree with Shadowdude as well. You have no idea how much it pains me to say that.

twistedrebel

HSC
english screwed me up, i got a fucking mid band 4 but i still say it should be mandatory, but i agree need a restructure of the course is needed.

IceCreamMonster

HSC
I believe that if we're born to speak a language we need to understand it. I am actually surprised how so many people use your and you're at the wrong time.. I don't know what you people think but I would feel rather embarrassed if I don't understand my own language. English isn't my best subject but I think it's important~~

HSC
I think English should be compulsory. It's not about the texts its about communication and connections.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
NO!
If English is compulsory than maths should be too and I know A LOT of girls that would go from getting ATARs of 92 to ATARs of <88 if they were made to do Maths.

HSC
If English is compulsory than maths should be too and I know A LOT of girls that would go from getting ATARs of 92 to ATARs of <88 if they were made to do Maths.
as much as i dislike you for saying this, it is true. i'm really good at english and shit at maths so i dont do it :)

Gigacube

HSC
I haven't learnt much from English. It's still my worst subject and the most disliked one. I found it slightly better than year 10.

I wish there was an English version of General Maths where you learn English skills and stuff that can be applied to the real world because IMO analysing Shakespeare is not going to help me in the future.

HSC
The derivative believes that english should be compulsory, but should not necessarily be counted towards an atar. Should be best ten units.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
NO!
That's like saying if English is compulsory then Japanese Continuers should also be compulsory too. Is there a particular reason that both must be compulsory?

I haven't learnt much from English. It's still my worst subject and the most disliked one. I found it slightly better than year 10.

I wish there was an English version of General Maths where you learn English skills and stuff that can be applied to the real world because IMO analysing Shakespeare is not going to help me in the future.
I think the real point of English is actually to synthesise ideas into writing - through the analysis of texts. It's basically a subject, in my belief, where you write essays to ultimately help foster the skill of taking jumbled thoughts in your head and writing them coherently and logically on paper.

And because it's "English", they tell you to analyse texts as a medium to synthesise the ideas.

The derivative believes that english should be compulsory, but should not necessarily be counted towards an atar. Should be best ten units.
Right, and that completely ignores the fact that English is used in the current system - if I recall correctly - as the yardstick to scale all the other subjects by. How can you scale a subject without the measuring device needed?

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
That's like saying if English is compulsory then Japanese Continuers should also be compulsory too. Is there a particular reason that both must be compulsory?
No it's not... Are you retarded?
Maths and English are really the only two subjects compulsory throughout schooling from kindergarten to year 10 and then only ones that progress on the same lines as such.
Whereas other compulsory subjects like history, geography and the sciences branch off at different years and different subjects in year 11 and 12.

Also, you didn't pick up on my English mistakes... I am disappoint...

sandshoes23

HSC
HELL NO! If you can speak it, read it and write it, then you're all good I say

HSC
Right, and that completely ignores the fact that English is used in the current system - if I recall correctly - as the yardstick to scale all the other subjects by. How can you scale a subject without the measuring device needed?
What about using it to scale, but not make it count towards an atar.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
HELL NO! If you can speak it, read it and write it, then you're all good I say
No... it's not about how well you comprehend the language, it's about how you write essays... which I can't.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)