Should I be worried (1 Viewer)

huyn28

HSC
Hey guys !
So like everyone else I finished my HSC in 2011, and now am waiting for the main round offer.
My question is should I be worried if i did not receive any early January offers. My first preference is at UTS for Visual Communication which has an ATAR of 93.70. With bonus points I'm still off it by 3 ATAR points.
I'm not sure if the early January offers are only based on the first preference or not. If not, can someone care to explain this to me ? And also, will I still be able to get an offer in the main round.

Thanks guys.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Most degrees begin offering students places during the Main Round.

You've got nothing to worry about.

packwolf

HSC
As has been said, most offers are received during the main round for most courses. That being said if you're 3 points off last years cut-off I wouldn't suggest getting your hopes up.

smartalec

HSC
Hey guys !
So like everyone else I finished my HSC in 2011, and now am waiting for the main round offer.
My question is should I be worried if i did not receive any early January offers. My first preference is at UTS for Visual Communication which has an ATAR of 93.70. With bonus points I'm still off it by 3 ATAR points.
I'm not sure if the early January offers are only based on the first preference or not. If not, can someone care to explain this to me ? And also, will I still be able to get an offer in the main round.

Thanks guys.
UTS dosent do early january offers. only main round.

huyn28

HSC
im just speaking of an overall view despite my first preference being from UTS.
well i gotta say, im pretty happy with the responses i got. i probably wont get my first preference, but hopefully i get either my third or second preference.

thanks guys :)

smartalec

HSC
Not true. It does.
whoops sorry, when you click the link for info on early january offers, it directs you to december offers info for some reason...i didn't read the title properly so thought it was talking about january offers. thanks for clarifying.

huyn28

HSC
alright i see.
just to help me clarify, can someone explain to me about how the main round offers work? Example, if i don't recieve my first preference am i still able to recieve my second preference (or third, and so on...) ? Also, in the later rounds, will my first preference be reconsidered ?

thanks guys.

2011_

HSC
Hey guys !

Thanks guys.
Early January offers are only for courses listed as 1st preferenc, to answer your question :) Good luck :)

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
alright i see.
just to help me clarify, can someone explain to me about how the main round offers work? Example, if i don't recieve my first preference am i still able to recieve my second preference (or third, and so on...) ? Also, in the later rounds, will my first preference be reconsidered ?

thanks guys.
1. You will be considered for second,third preference and etc, if you don't get your 1st preference.
2. Each course has a limit on how many students enroll, if the spots aren't completely filled then your first preference will be reconsidered in the later rounds.

huyn28

HSC
alright thanks guys.
oh just a quick question on you're (you guys) opinions: Do you think that 2012 cut-off for the main round will drop or rise on general view.

Once again, thank you so much for all of your answers really helped.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
I can't confirm the source but -apparently- the government will increase the spots available for certain courses (2012). In essence, the ATAR for said course would drop since its supply and demand.

Edit (found it):http://www.gooduniguide.com.au/Latest-news/Demand-driven-funding-to-benefit-students
I wouldn't be too sure it will come into effect immediately considering some faculties may have to restructure and possibly expand which takes time (e.g. hiring). Considering this though, I'm sure that the universities recognised this would be on the cards from a far way back so hopefully they have prepared for the demanded spots.

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
I read in an article that some universities will not enforce it for certain courses like Med (the obvious being intern), Law and etc.

gwenwiver

HSC
N/A
I have posted this information on another thread but believe it has relevance here IF you read the articles below.

When you have read the following article you should sit back and relax because even the universities themselves don't know how things will pan out. There are so many variable to consider this year - decisions made by other faculties within a university and decisions made by faculties in other universities tend to have a domino effect

After reading this articles you will realize that THIS YEAR is entirely different to previous years as the universities FOR THE FIRST TIME decide how many students to whom they wish to make offers. Reason why ATAR probably be LOWER this year

http://www.theage.com.au/national/ed...126-1o0j1.html

Reason why University of Sydney may have been in trouble for unethical conduct - desperation

http://www.smh.com.au/national/terti...105-1pmz5.html

Reason why you should be satisfied with you mark and be thankful you will not be doing the HSC next year when changes may be made to reduce plagiarism.Its is a possible explanation for why many students got better ATAR

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-11-1...in-hsc/3661820

http://www.smh.com.au/national/educa...213-1ot7z.html

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)