• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Should I do 4U maths? (1 Viewer)

puddingopp

Unpossible
HSC
Hi,

I got 96% in 2U maths and 70% in 3U maths. I know that I can improve my 3U maths with more practice, but do you think that I should pick up 4U maths?

At the moment, I find 2U maths extremely easy, 3U is just right and challenging. Should I pick up 4U maths for Year 12? I have heard that it takes a lot of time, more than all of your other subjects... Should I stay in 3U maths and try my best to do well in all my subjects, or should I pick up 4U maths? I heard that it scales insanely too, so I'm kind of tempted to pick it up...

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
If you can get over 80 in ext1 then I recommend trying it. To be honest, I use 40% of my study for all 4-units and 90% of that study is for ext2.

I don't spend a lot of time on ext1 because it eventually became natural to me after starting 4-unit.

If you ROTE learn, then you will find it hard to spend little time on ext1. Just make sure you use year 11 wisely to develop your maths skills.

Go beyond the scope of the syllabus. Do the harder questions for ext1.

It is supposed to scale well, but I haven't sat the exam yet so I wouldn't be the one to ask. Apparently, a 70-75 is band 6 equivalent.

Don't pick the subject just based on scaling though. 4-unit is for the enjoyment (at least to me).

Dan895

HSC
Uni Grad
Start it and if you don't like it drop it. Simple. I reckon it's great my fav subject for sure!

iBibah

HSC
Hi,

I got 96% in 2U maths and 70% in 3U maths. I know that I can improve my 3U maths with more practice, but do you think that I should pick up 4U maths?

At the moment, I find 2U maths extremely easy, 3U is just right and challenging. Should I pick up 4U maths for Year 12? I have heard that it takes a lot of time, more than all of your other subjects... Should I stay in 3U maths and try my best to do well in all my subjects, or should I pick up 4U maths? I heard that it scales insanely too, so I'm kind of tempted to pick it up...
Keep in mind a lot of people really exaggerate 4U maths. Don't get me wrong, it's definitely challenging in parts, but it's by no means just for genius'.

WeaselPowa

HSC
Ask yourself this:
- Will I be able to cope with the workload that comes with 4 unit maths?
- Will this subject become my priority and take too much of my time?
- Am I skilled or dedicated (or both) to be able to take on the 4 unit course?

Not only these aspects need be considered when thinking about choosing 4 unit maths, but also whether or not it will be of benefit to your future occupation. If you are only choosing the subject because of its scaling, I highly suggest against it as it will take a huge chunk out of the time you could be spending more productively on other subjects.

Deliriously

HSC
You have to enjoy doing maths. If you dislike spending long periods of time on questions then I guarantee you that 4U will not be pleasant but in saying that, if you feel confident, then its well worth a shot and you can definitely drop it later.

iBibah

HSC
Ask yourself this:
- Will I be able to cope with the workload that comes with 4 unit maths?
- Will this subject become my priority and take too much of my time?

- Am I skilled or dedicated (or both) to be able to take on the 4 unit course?

Not only these aspects need be considered when thinking about choosing 4 unit maths, but also whether or not it will be of benefit to your future occupation. If you are only choosing the subject because of its scaling, I highly suggest against it as it will take a huge chunk out of the time you could be spending more productively on other subjects.
That's exactly what this thread is for....

HSC
N/A
Do it and see how you go.
If you got 70% in MX1 then I think you will find MX2 difficult because MX2 is very similar to MX1 but I'd say 4 times harder.

madharris

HSC
N/A
As everyone else has said!
I reckon you can always try it, and if you can't do it then drop it! :)

Do it if you love maths and want to put the time and effort into getting a good mark!

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Do it and see how you go.
If you got 70% in MX1 then I think you will find MX2 difficult because MX2 is very similar to MX1 but I'd say 4 times harder.
A lot of people over-estimate the difficulty of Extension 2.

Sure, it is more difficult than MX1 but '4 times harder' is an overstatement IMO.

HSC
N/A
A lot of people over-estimate the difficulty of Extension 2.

Sure, it is more difficult than MX1 but '4 times harder' is an overstatement IMO.
May be two?

I too agree that most people exaggerate its difficulty, ESPECIALLY teachers.

asdfghjklmz

HSC
OMG, having the same problem!
I think our marks are pretty similar
Have you decided on picking up 4U?

Edit: 4U is a whole new world, dropped it after trying for a few weeks. Workload: extreme (well for me at least)

Last edited:

Duxify

HSC
Uni Grad
From a scaling perspective, I think math ext 2 is a no brainer.

Beating 16% of the cohort taking math ext2 is the same as beating 81% of the people taking mathematics when it comes to ATAR calc.

math ext2 is obviously a difficult subject, but there are enough predictable marks you can pick up in every subject with enough exam practice.

braintic

HSC
N/A
Beating 16% of the cohort taking math ext2 is the same as beating 81% of the people taking mathematics when it comes to ATAR calc.
That is a pretty meaningless comparison when you consider you are comparing two completely different qualities of cohort.

Looking at the 2011 stats, marks of 90 in Ext 2 and 96 in 2 unit had the same contribution towards the ATAR.
And anyone who gets 90 in Ext 2 should be able to get 96 in 2 unit.
After all, the whole point of scaling (at least across different levels of the same subject) is that you should get the same ATAR contribution regardless of which level you attempt.

Its about time people stopped spreading the myth that Ext 2 somehow gives a magic boost to your ATAR. This is only true if maths is one of your better subjects (and only because you are doing more units of your better subject).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)