should i do commerce/law or actuarial/economics @ unsw? (1 Viewer)

siera

HSC
I wanna do both CA/CPA and actuarial studies but you can't do them together anymore :vcross:
Can i possibly do actuarial/eco with a 3rd major in accounting and then some sort of bridging courses for CA? Or is that gonna be way to hard to accomplish?
I've also heard actuarial demand is dwindling in the future and companies are reluctant to higher girls? Is this true?
Or is law/commerce a better option?
Does anyone know why its such a popular combination? I mean how does law help with getting a better accounting job?
Desperately need help guys,:cry:

RishBonjour

HSC
I wanna do both CA/CPA and actuarial studies but you can't do them together anymore :vcross:
Can i possibly do actuarial/eco with a 3rd major in accounting and then some sort of bridging courses for CA? Or is that gonna be way to hard to accomplish?
I've also heard actuarial demand is dwindling in the future and companies are reluctant to higher girls? Is this true?
Or is law/commerce a better option?
Does anyone know why its such a popular combination? I mean how does law help with getting a better accounting job?
Desperately need help guys,:cry:
accounting isn't the only thing a commerce degree will get you.

siera

HSC
ROFL and you wanted to do Medicine in the other thread?....
yes but that was only something i was considering out of the blue since i can't pick b/w actuarial and accounting!

siera

HSC
yeah but accounting is what i really wanna do... except that there are heaps of b.com graduates every year so it won't be something outstanding :p

RishBonjour

HSC
yeah but accounting is what i really wanna do... except that there are heaps of b.com graduates every year so it won't be something outstanding :p
if you really want to do accounting then just do B.comm, apply for heaps of internships + do other extra curricular stuff. will definitely make you stand out.

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
Law can compliment a Commerce degree in many ways. It makes you stand out from a lot of other students. It also helps you understand any policy and regulations behind business operations.

siera

HSC
Law can compliment a Commerce degree in many ways. It makes you stand out from a lot of other students. It also helps you understand any policy and regulations behind business operations.
Thanks! does that mean it makes you more employable as well or is it really to aid your personal understanding only?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Reluctant to hire girls? what

If I was in a male dominated profession, I'd hire women if they were qualified enough - fix the sausage fest ratio. <_<

Chronost

Ex CAG auditor - current CAG deal-maker
HSC
Thanks! does that mean it makes you more employable as well or is it really to aid your personal understanding only?
If your set on accounting/Actuarial then law isn't something you would really want to put your years into.Comm/Law is popular because they go side by side together, and usually good comm/law grads go towards top tier jobs like consulting,IB,Trading,Clerkship etc.. You'll really be fine with just a B.Comm for either the ones you mentioned. Law isn't as "easy" as a Commerce degree, and by good chance it will affect your WAM significantly. Have you thought of doing B.Comm/Actuarial? Why economics specifically? Then you can do both Accounting and Actuarial(although i think you can do accounting as a major with just actuarial).

To answer your question, Law does make you more employable,but ultimately it'll just go down to extra-cirrculars etc..You might as well save those 2 years working already. Getting a distinction average in law/Bcomm is "hard" whilst a distinction in just a B.comm is more accomplisable, and a Distinction in B.comm will definitely put you in a good position to get a big 4 accounting grad job. The Law degree is just uneccessary for such a job.(if thats your ultimate aim).

Trans might be able to give you a more personal experience.

siera

HSC
If your set on accounting/Actuarial then law isn't something you would really want to put your years into.Comm/Law is popular because they go side by side together, and usually good comm/law grads go towards top tier jobs like consulting,IB,Trading,Clerkship etc.. You'll really be fine with just a B.Comm for either the ones you mentioned. Law isn't as "easy" as a Commerce degree, and by good chance it will affect your WAM significantly. Have you thought of doing B.Comm/Actuarial? Why economics specifically? Then you can do both Accounting and Actuarial(although i think you can do accounting as a major with just actuarial).

To answer your question, Law does make you more employable,but ultimately it'll just go down to extra-cirrculars etc..You might as well save those 2 years working already. Getting a distinction average in law/Bcomm is "hard" whilst a distinction in just a B.comm is more accomplisable, and a Distinction in B.comm will definitely put you in a good position to get a big 4 accounting grad job. The Law degree is just uneccessary for such a job.(if thats your ultimate aim).

Trans might be able to give you a more personal experience.
thanks that helps :)
actuarial/comm isn't an option anymore and the accounting major in actuarial doesn't satisfies the requirements for CA/CPA which is what i ultimately wanna do so I've just set my mind on accounting atm...
I've put down comm/law as my 1st preference for now but can i change that to commerce/eco later?
and does law involve heaps of verbal arguments and stuff?

is a roflcopter
HSC
Reluctant to hire girls? what

If I was in a male dominated profession, I'd hire women if they were qualified enough - fix the sausage fest ratio. <_<
quoted for partial truth. you also need to be HOT

Seira i bet your asian haha sounds a lot like my parents when they wanted me to do EVERYTHING, ca/cpa, acturial studies like family friend #1, working at E&Y like family friend #2, com/law like cousin #1,etc,etc etc.

just do what you want which sounds like CA which means accounting major, so fk acturial studies
also no sure but my friends tell me CA is better than CPA

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I'd say just do straight B Comm with the majors you want but do really well (i.e. HD average) and maintain both work experience (doesn't have to be too relevant) and extra curriculars. That'll make you stand out and you can land an offer.

A Comm/Law grad with shit marks isn't going to wow anyone.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
if you want to stick to accounting, stick to it and go get your CA/CPA. I also heard that CA is more highly regarded (since it is considered more challenging and etc.)

if you want to stick to actuarial studies, stick to it and go for it and get Part I/II/III. There is absolutely no point in going for both when you know you are not going to get both credentials.

If you are really not sure, go for Comm/Law I guess and try out both law and accounting and other core courses with open mind. You may find yourself enjoying the courses

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)