Should i do MX2? (1 Viewer)

UTRazilBay

HSC
Im pretty good at math, coming 1st in my grade (year 11) and im considering undertaking mx2. But im not sure if 1stin my school (around 90 ranking) shows that i am capable of undertaking mx2. Im also worried about the workload. Ive heard that mx2 takes up alot of time and so i dont want to neglect my other subjects. I mean... i love math but everyone makes MX2 sound so scary.
Is it difficult (for someone who enjoys math)?
Is it time consuming?

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
If you enjoy maths you are likely to study it, hence you can score good marks. I would recommend anyone who enjoys maths to give extension 2 a go. But my advice to you is to ask past students about their experiences and what is required in each assessment components at your school.

For me, maths being one of my favourite subjects. I find it doesn't really take up much time. If you work consistently throughout the year and ask your teachers for help you would be looking at a 90+. Good luck human.

deswa1

HSC
If you are good at maths and enjoy it, you will be fine (remember you can always drop it if it becomes too hard). At a rank 90 school though, I think you are moer than capable of it.

In regards to time, for me personally, 4U doesn't even take that long- maybe half an hour a day, maybe longer or shorter depending on the amount of homework etc.

Aysce

HSC
MX2 is overhyped and is exaggerated.

I'm not saying MX2 is easy - it can be quite challenging but obviously that varies from person to person and also their understanding. In my honest opinion, if you're coming 1st or are "up there" you should give 4 unit maths a go, I'm sure you know the benefits so I won't elaborate. If you genuinely enjoy math, you will feel more fascinated by it and feel motivated to study the subject. I don't think enjoying math makes it more or less difficult, it just acts as a motivator.

All in all, just give it a try in year 12 and see if you can cope with the time and skill requirements. I tell you, maths extension 2 is a great course that anyone should do if they are given the opportunity.

TheGreatest99.95

Premium Member
HSC
do it! you have nothing to lose but everything to gain because you can always drop it if you dont like it

Aykay

HSC
Uni Grad
Agreed.
Done Complex Numbers, Conics, Resisted Motion, Polynomials and Integration so far, and nothing really is too challenging.

UTRazilBay

HSC
alright.. do u guys get lessons during school... cos i think 4u is after-school at my school.

AAEldar

Premium Member
HSC
alright.. do u guys get lessons during school... cos i think 4u is after-school at my school.
Mine were after/before school and I actually enjoyed them.

If you like maths, do it. It's not THAT hard but it certainly does require consistent effort. School rank of 90 is miles higher than what mine was - don't even take that into account, if you enjoy maths then do it and if you decide you can't handle it or don't like it it's easy enough to drop!

qwerty44

HSC
every school is different. usually if not a lot of people do it, then lessons will be offline . i.e outside school hours

UTRazilBay

HSC
how bout the actually hsc exam... is it difficult to get around 75% as a raw mark?

deswa1

HSC
how bout the actually hsc exam... is it difficult to get around 75% as a raw mark?
Depends on how good you are. I don't want to sound like a douche, but I'm confident I'll get 75% quite easily. If you understand the concepts well and are good at maths, you should be able to get most questions, except maybe the last one, which would give you over 75%.

AAEldar

Premium Member
HSC
75% is certainly easily achievable. Marks above that can be hard to get though and there is definitely some luck involved.

Levity

HSC
You should definitely be able to do 4 unit maths. If you enjoy maths it should be a breeze.

2012hsc94

HSC
You should give it a go. I thought the same thing too when I was considering it and I definitely wasn't 1st in my school. Its hyped up and exaggerated so much. If you enjoy maths I think you will find it quite interesting and rewarding and I've done 4 or so topics so far and they're not that hard! Just do lots of practice as with any math level and a E4 is not out of reach at all :) (well that just my opinion :))

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
Do it even if you don't like maths. There are people in my grade who HATED maths but hardened up and did it anyway, and ended up getting 95+. It's the BEST subject to do for your ATAR.

Good luck =]

jmadden

HSC
Definitely do it.
Apparently anyone who has the ability to understand the topics involved should take it; even if they hate it, it scales dramatically well.
My school accelerates 2 unit so i am stuck doing EX1 and EX2 in one year.
The people that are going onto 3 unit have some lessons offline to catch up.
If people who are good at maths are doing this for MX2, you should definitely do it - and do it well!
goodluck,

Peeik

HSC
If you like math and are doing well and you dont pick MX2, i swear you will regret it at the end of the year. Dont make the same mistake that I did.

such_such

HSC
Your school rank has nothing to do with what subjects you choose. 90s is a pretty good ranking compared to my school :L but yeah, CHOOOOOOOOOOOOSE IT!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)