Should I drop from 2U maths to general? (1 Viewer)

katoji

HSC
I really need to decide urgently. Since it's the beginning of the holidays, I had resolved to study general maths, like catch up on the topics, so I'm kinda okay for term 2. But, I recently got a new maths tutor(who has gone to james ruse) and he seems to know a lot about the HSC scaling, subjects and what not. He strongly advised me not to drop to general - something about general maths being scaled down so much.

I would try and find out about how this works exactly, but the whole thing confuses me. I tried looking here but yeah...the info is not available yet.

Anyway, because of stress at home (the reason is significant but not enough for me to do a split year or get any special help for the HSC), I really bombed out in my maths exam. First term I got something like 48% and half yearlies I recieved 54%. My class bombed out as well, except they mostly failed. Other people didn't do that well either but I think they passed.

There are around 70 people who do 2U maths in my school.

My other subjects:
Eng. Advanced
Eng. Ext
Eng. Ext 2
Biology
Drama
Ancient History

I am struggling with Eng. Ext 2 as well, I might drop it when I come back in term 2. The rest of the subjects are not a worry.

Last edited:

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
How are you ranked? Your test could have been exceedingly difficult.

katoji

HSC
I'm not sure, but if I estimate...maybe like 30-40 out of the 70 people?

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
How would you find the work later in 2U? Flick through a textbook.

How do you perceive the difficulty of General? Is is alright/too easy?

katoji

HSC
How would you find the work later in 2U? Flick through a textbook.

How do you perceive the difficulty of General? Is is alright/too easy?
It looks like I can handle general, it seems a bit easy for me (I still remember linear and other more basic topics). It will just take a long time for me. 2U also seems alright(though tricky) for me, though I'm just worried again about the next exams, so I'm not sure. We have 2 topics left to go (logs/exponentials and applications of calc to physical world) - I'm going through them with my tutor and I'm understanding it a lot better now.

powlmao

Banned
HSC
only drop if your a utter retard........seriously only retards do general maths that shit is soo easy

HSC
Uni Grad
only drop if your a utter retard........seriously only retards do general maths that shit is soo easy
Just because some of us aren't as great at maffs as you are doesn't make us retards. Many of us excel in areas you lack e.g. knowing how to use correct grammar.

powlmao

Banned
HSC
Just because some of us aren't as great at maffs as you are doesn't make us retards. Many of us excel in areas you lack e.g. knowing how to use correct grammar.
Excuse me gramma Nazi! English is quite boring but also easy

P.S your profile picture is awesome

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
There are also snippets of things that general mathematics do that 2-3 unit students will not do.

annagurl

HSC
N/A
I know how you feel :(
I wanna drop to general too. But i've decided to suffer and endure it. Hopefully it'll pay off long term.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
^ You certainly do not need to drop to general if you are somewhat decent at mathematics.

FrozenSky

HSC
Please do not drop to general.
When i dropped to general then quit maths completely, it literally fml'ed me...
Seriously, if you do not do the bare minimum of sophisticated maths (2u), then you are literally limiting your opportunities.
If you do not do maths you can kiss engineering and science goodbye.
But if you're aiming for communication/marketing/journalism then i guess you don't really need maths.

jamesfirst

HSC
Just think of it like this:

The people in your class will get added with your mark and average will be determined. So obviously if more people did shit in the class, you'll get scaled down, and seeing that general students are mostly dumbasses it's advised not to drop from 2U to general.

jnney

lemon
HSC
回覆: Re: Should I drop from 2U maths to general?

look either way, i think you need to put EFFORT into mathematics. it is consuming indeed, but hey, that's maths. well whether you'll do better for general or 2u..it really depends on you. unless you KNOW you can ace it, then you'll lead the margin. either way, if you fail 2u, you'll scale down. if you fail general, you'll scale down. do extremely well in either of them and you're open to a 99+ atar. it's all about how you percieve yourself. if you're all about negative thoughts, and 'im going to fail' and what not, well you're consuming all of your energy into worring and stressing, and obviously you'll have none left to study. so stop complaining and get to it.
i know this speech is bitchy and tedious, but all im trying to say is, sitting there and doing nothing isn't going to get you anywhere. if you want to succeed, do something about it. anything. m not saying you absolutely must get an 99+ atar, unless you really want :p but confidence is the key ! and help is always around the corner.

- your instincts are usually right, btw.

have a nice day!:)

Last edited:

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Re: 回覆: Re: Should I drop from 2U maths to general?

@katoji

If you're in yr 12: you have quite a bit of different stuff to cover in General that you would have missed out on. Do borrow texts on General - both prelim & HSC - to gain a better idea of what is involved. General is not (a subset) an easier version of 2U Advanced. In dropping to Gen, you'll have to study new topics and this takes time. This time can be better used to improve your 2U.

You need help & guidance from friends/teacher/whoever - to help you along. I have tutored General Maths (right now I have a 2U Prelim student and I'm praying he does not have to drop to Gen). I dread having to teach General - to me it is a torture.

Last edited:

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
Re: 回覆: Re: Should I drop from 2U maths to general?

If you wanted to drop to General, you should of did it earlier. There is 6 months left and you have to learn the General content from day one of Prelim. If you invested that time in 2U, you will attain a solid mark.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)