Should I drop Mathematics? (1 Viewer)

Neva

HSC
N/A
Hello Bored of Studies

This is my first post. I am wondering if I could have some help deciding on what subjects I should carry on into this year's HSC.

I currently do 12 units.

For university I am considering the Arts area particularly Media related subjects.

I am doing reasonably well in all of my subjects (80-85+) except Maths where I am in the bottom 5 in my class.

Should I drop maths and focus on the other subjects?

Thank you in advance for your help

PS. Thank you Bored of Studies and UWS for the free Sydney Morning Herald SmartPass for HSC!

Last edited:

bladeys

HSC
N/A
Nope dont drop maths, theres plenty of time to improve and it aligns and scales decently I think

HSC
Uni Grad
Would suggest not to drop maths as you may possibly change your degree, and that the particular major that you would want to do would require maths as assumed knowledge.

Besides, if you do well in everything else, but do badly in maths, maths won't count so you should be safe regardless.

jnney

lemon
HSC
if you are confident that you will do well in your other subjects, then go ahead.

asdfqwerty

HSC
Imo I think you should drop it. If you do terrible at it in the hsc, it will not count towards the 10 units for ur ATAR, so you might as well drop it and give more time to your other subjects and get them to the range of 90-100.

that being said, it doesnt mean that theres no hope for you to improve in maths. but the chances of continually doing terrible at it to the chances of improving drastically from bottom 5 is high to low, so keeping it and trying to improve will not likely help you.

all in all, its up to you. gl :)

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
Imo I think you should drop it. If you do terrible at it in the hsc, it will not count towards the 10 units for ur ATAR, so you might as well drop it and give more time to your other subjects and get them to the range of 90-100.

that being said, it doesnt mean that theres no hope for you to improve in maths. but the chances of continually doing terrible at it to the chances of improving drastically from bottom 5 is high to low, so keeping it and trying to improve will not likely help you.

all in all, its up to you. gl :)
This. or drop to gen. We need ur maths history marks.

enoilgam

HSC
By the looks of things, you wont need it for your degree and it probably wont count towards your ATAR. However, if you drop maths, you will have 10 units, meaning that you will have nothing to protect you in case you stuff up. You should also consider that there is still time to rectify your position in maths - so if you want to drop just because you performed poorly in your first exam, then maybe you should consider keeping it.

Last edited:

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
In your case, I'd advise you to drop it. You don't need it for uni, it's not going to count at this point, so might as well invest in the ten units that will.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Unless you are not interested in Mathematics at all (i.e. you're not engaged), then it may be worth dropping.

Fact of the matter is, the content you learn in the HSC course is extremely flexible and can be applied to so many things. Just keeping it for the sake of learning would be worth something. Similarly, you don't seem to be performing to bad in your other subjects, so dropping it just for the sake of your other subjects could be reckless.

In Year 12, I was quite disillusioned with Mathematics Extension 1, and I was considering dropping it. In the end, I figured that I had gone through enough of the course to warrant completing it just to know that I hadn't wasted my time and I could have it on my final transcript. I got an E3, and it didn't count in regards of my ATAR calculation, but the stuff I learned was vital as it came into a lot of use when I had to do junior mathematics units in my first year of university.

Bobbo1

HSC
Drop it only if:
1) It 110% won't towards your 10 units - be aware of aligning, scaling and the possibility that your school may be setting hard tests which makes your raw marks look bad
2) It definitely won't be a prerequisite or assumed knowledge for your uni degree, it is most likely that you WILL change your degree choice once you start researching, finding out more information, attending uni open days etc.
3) You won't use the extra to sleep in, procrastinate or let it go to waste

determine

Premium Member
HSC
Maths does broaden your prospects for university I guess - and would be useful, even at the 2 unit level. So maybe keep it and see how you're going, and if you are still doing poorly by you putting in lots of effort, get rid of it. :)

delian

HSC
N/A
10 units is risky, but if you think your 10 units will be good, then it should be fine.

animeiswild

HSC
What I think is best to do is keep it and just try your best with it since you have 12 units, even if you perform poorly in maths, it won't count anyway. However, there is still time to improve for this subject and maths just requires completing more questions which isn't too hard to do. Maths is also a prerequisite in many uni degrees so by doing maths, it's easier to change pathways if you should ever come to such a decision.

Though if you absolutely despise it and just cannot be bothered to work for it, then it may be best to drop it and concentrate on your other subjects. I can't see a person do well in a subject they hate unless they put in a lot of effort.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
By the looks of things, you wont need it for your degree and it probably wont count towards your ATAR. However, if you drop maths, you will have 10 units, meaning that you will have nothing to protect you in case you stuff up. You should also consider that there is still time to rectify your position in maths - so if you want to drop just because you performed poorly in your first exam, then maybe you should consider keeping it.
I agree with this, personally.

emilyo

apathetic member
HSC
Drop it!!! If you check your uni course and Maths is not required then why on earth would you take it? I dropped math in year 12 and it was the best decision I've made! I hated that subject and it was my worst by far. Good scaling only helps you if you do well. Also to do well in Maths a fair amount of work is required. I'm doing physiotherapy at uni and haven't been disadvantaged by not taking maths at all. Stick with subs you have an interest in, do well in and will be related to your desired uni degree.

Neva

HSC
N/A
Thank you for telling me the Pros and Cons

Can I have an explanation of the scaling of Maths, English and History etc?

I'm coming second in my History class.

I don't hate maths, it's just not my thing.

Neva

HSC
N/A
I guess my situation is not helped by MathsOnline charging money now...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)