Should I drop Maths Ext.1? (1 Viewer)

neqr1te

HSC
So I got my marks back for the prelim yearlys and unfortunately I kinda flunked mx.1 (below 40% 😬).. I'm not sure what the average actually was but I do know that a lot of people I talked to got around the same or even lower than me. I can def say that I probably got a below average mark though (the other ext.1 class tends to way out-perform my ext.1 class for some reason).

In regards to the content, I honestly don't even find mx.1 topics difficult really. my main issue in exams is with time management, and i made the mistake of not practicing/studying mx.1 past papers under timed conditions. I'm doing well in advanced maths and i find the content easy. i'm kind of stuck in a middle ground between extension 1 and advanced maths.

another thing is that when my teacher was handing back our marks she gave us the grim "some-of-you-may-have-to-reconsider-which-math-course-you're-taking" talk and she had a list of names of people she wanted to pull outside and talk to about their math course choice. she pulled people out of class who i know for a fact got much lower than i did so i can only assume she was advising them to discontinue ext.1 maths.
to my surprise my name wasn't on the list which is good.... i guess maybe i should take that as a sign that i'm not doing too terribly?

anyways sorry for the long ramble lol. i kinda need some advice because idk what to do. i love extension 1 maths with all my heart tbh and i really enjoy the content we learn. do you think if i focus on time management and grinding i could actually do well in it? or what should i do?

carrotsss

HSC
In regards to the content, I honestly don't even find mx.1 topics difficult really. my main issue in exams is with time management, and i made the mistake of not practicing/studying mx.1 past papers under timed conditions.
I think within this lies the answer.

If you think the only thing holding you back is time management, then if you’re willing to put in the required effort in timed conditions to improve this then I’d say keep it.

However, if you don’t enjoy mx1, think there are other problems that are causing your results or you aren’t willing to put in the effort to improve them with timed papers, then drop.

The only other real thing to consider is that mx1 will be helpful for uni as well depending on what course you take, so that’s worth considering (especially if you’re interested in something like engineering).

If you get a chance, I’d recommend having a genuine conversation with your teacher about this, as they will know your strengths best and will be able to help you make the most informed decision.

neqr1te

HSC
I think within this lies the answer.

If you think the only thing holding you back is time management, then if you’re willing to put in the required effort in timed conditions to improve this then I’d say keep it.

However, if you don’t enjoy mx1, think there are other problems that are causing your results or you aren’t willing to put in the effort to improve them with timed papers, then drop.

The only other real thing to consider is that mx1 will be helpful for uni as well depending on what course you take, so that’s worth considering (especially if you’re interested in something like engineering).

If you get a chance, I’d recommend having a genuine conversation with your teacher about this, as they will know your strengths best and will be able to help you make the most informed decision.
thanks for the feedback :) ill def try studying harder

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)