Should I Drop To General Maths From 2unit! Help! :( (1 Viewer)

x_babee-gurl_x

HSC
Heyy everyone! I need a bit of advice.. The thing is I do 2unit maths at this stage and my marks have been shocking! When I mean shockin, I mean to say I got less than 40% in my half yearlies. :( SHIT GO! I just wish I had dropped it in year 11 but I didnt. The reason for that was because I was told by ALOT of people that general maths scales low. I just want to know, if i drop down to general (my teacher is willing to let me drop) will it scale me down because its an easier course? this whole scaling system confuses me alott and im not sure what I should do. Teachers are really no help these days. If i could have some input on this from you guys that would be great! thanks :)

SUBJECTS: Adv english, chemistry, biology, extension history, 2unit maths, ancient history

UAI AIM: 70 +

x_babee-gurl_x

HSC
Should I drop to general ? HELP! :(

Heyy everyone! I need a bit of advice.. The thing is I do 2unit maths at this stage and my marks have been shocking! When I mean shockin, I mean to say I got less than 40% in my half yearlies. SHIT GO! I just wish I had dropped it in year 11 but I didnt. The reason for that was because I was told by ALOT of people that general maths scales low. I just want to know, if i drop down to general (my teacher is willing to let me drop) will it scale me down because its an easier course? this whole scaling system confuses me alott and im not sure what I should do. Teachers are really no help these days. If i could have some input on this from you guys that would be great! thanks :)

SUBJECTS: Adv english, chemistry, biology, extension history, 2unit maths, ancient history

HSC
Re: Should I drop to general ? HELP! :(

if you are struggling then youre struggling. drop back.

its better to go reasonably well in general maths than fail two unit,especially in your case where scalings not really a factor anymore (not that it should be anyway).

you should be able to catch up easily enough if you have done year 10 advanced maths, apparently its not much different with a couple of concepts tagged onto it (im sure theres more to it but catching up in general is a lot easier).

i know people who dropped back to general after the half yearly and still managed to get 80ish whereas if they stayed they wouldve got something in the 60's (after scaling/moderation).

HSC
lol i was going to kick up a stink because i replied to one of those posts and thought it was deleted.

godfairy2563652

HSC
it really depends on who you are. take me for instance, im doing 3 unit maths and i went shocking on my first assessment. but i knew i hadnt studied for it. and when i say shocking i mean it. less than 30%, but i studied for my half yearly and got 2nd highest, so it depends on what your study pattern is and if y ou think you can do it.
as for the scaling, i got told that doing moderately ok in 2 unit is better than doing awesome in general, but do what you want

xoxo

HSC
i have a few friends who have done just that for pretty much the exact reasons as u want to.
in the end it is up to you but just remember that you will have to go over all your year 11 stuff and the two terms of yr 12 general maths you have missed out upon. if you are willing to put in that effort then is ay go for it. otherwise really push yourself in 2u. keep going over past papers. that is probably some of the best stuff you can do so u familiarise yourself with what it is they are likely to ask and how.
2u does scale better than general - mainly coz its a harder course. pretty much what godfairy said above me ^^^

i think ull definitely be capable of over 70 even with general maths with all your other subjects - expecially if your going fairly good in them. i do ext hist and i have been told by so many just how great it scales.

so yeah, good luck with your decision!
Xx

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
x_babee-gurl_x said:
Heyy everyone! I need a bit of advice.. The thing is I do 2unit maths at this stage and my marks have been shocking! When I mean shockin, I mean to say I got less than 40% in my half yearlies. :( SHIT GO! I just wish I had dropped it in year 11 but I didnt. The reason for that was because I was told by ALOT of people that general maths scales low. I just want to know, if i drop down to general (my teacher is willing to let me drop) will it scale me down because its an easier course? this whole scaling system confuses me alott and im not sure what I should do. Teachers are really no help these days. If i could have some input on this from you guys that would be great! thanks :)

The main thing to remember is that 2 unit maths gets much harder from here on in. Well, at my school they decided to leave all the hard topics 'till the end where we were short of time. If you are having problems in easier topics and haven't even began the harder topics, it may be in your best interest to drop to the subject. However, it is noteworthy to mention that your mark of 40% is not directly comparable to anything else for your performance. E.g. 40% at your school may be equal to 60% some where else. If you seem to be at the bottom rank of your class it might make more sense to drop down.

The general rule for subjects that people brand as 'bad scaling' is that if you do excellent in it, they can only take so little possible marks away through scaling. But as with all subjects, if you go bad it reflects in your exam marks, uai etc.

w00dy.

HSC
i did adv 2u maths through prelim and i wasnt going all that well in assessments, its not that i couldnt do the work, because i could no problem, my biggest problem was the assessments.

i dropped to general at the start of hsc and i havent looked back, im not as stressed as i was with 2u, and i have been going really well with assessments, ive gone from bottom half of 2u math to 4th in general from the two assessment we have done so far.

your uai goal is still in reach even if you drop to general, but talk to your teacher, career advisor even and see what they say. just dont leave the decision too late.

good luck =]

rach777

HSC
i did 2unit in prelim and was getting ok marks but was spending way too much time studying compared to my other subjects so i decided to drop. it took a bit of work to go over all the yr11 work but it is doable.

with the scaling i was told that if you can achieve in the 90s or at least high 80s you will scale similar to a lower score in 2unit. you do have to consider though if uni courses require 2unit maths. a lot of last years class was getting similar marks to you and by hsc they had risen to within the 70s.

i guess it depends on what amount of work you are spending on it and if you are willing to catch up in general. i found it a really good decision cause it freed up heaps of time and is less stressful! good luck

Kebabci Oglu

Professional member
HSC
Well it depends, what do you want to do after school? If uni which course? Because if u do mathematics now it would be very beneficial to you later in uni depending on which coruse you want to do. I was told that general is basically for commerce at uni, like accounting and mathematics is for engineering.

HSC
well, another question which may be asked is that are u able to drop the subject in the first place?

If the general maths have all ready done assessments, then i don't noe if it will be possible, because of two factors:
1. u cannot do the same assessments as they did before because of the possiblity of cheating (e.g: u looking at their test, and checking their answers)
2. if u were to do a different test to the one the genreal maths did, then that would be unfair, as u have been tested differently to the rest of the cohort, ur test may have been easier/harder creating a disadvantage

Mezra

HSC
The two highest UAI's at our school last year (99.something and 98.something) both did general maths.

OR

Just drop maths altogether like me. Yay.

nichhhole

asndihsCfuckingansbdiuahd
HSC
Firstly.. u seem concerned about the scaling factor... if you had enough units id recommend that you just totally drop maths altogether.. [the scaling for general is quite atrocious, for the amount of time you'd need to dedicate to it..(ie to catch up and go well...) i think you would have been better off just spending the time focusing on all your other subjects...

BUT seeing as dropping isnt really an option for you...
you need to ask yourself..
'how much work have i honestly put in for 2u maht so far..'
if you know you gave it alot of effort [and still didnt go all that well..] then perhaps consider general..
but if you know you didnt put that much effort in [and u also know u are willing to put more effort in..] then stick with it.. [2u math is better in scaling than general..]

that said,
you shouldnt take subjects that exceed ur capabilities because scaling will not make up for that...
[you'd probably do even worse because it's generally better to be in the top of the lower subjects than the lower percentile of the harder subjects..]
if 2U is above you, than go to Gen..

but dropping will have its trials and tribulationssssssssss!

personally i'd stick with 2 U if i were you...

goodluck :)

x_babee-gurl_x

HSC
no i cant drop or i wont have enough units as im only doing 11 .. i would stay in 2unit but the thing is my rank is last and we have pretty much done all our assessments where 2 were worth 15% and the half yearlies were worth 25% i thinK.. the trials (worth 30%) and 1 topic test(15 %) are all thats left .. theres no way i would be able to pull my ranking up is there? its a bit too late isnt itt .. because we are also marked against the extention 1 class who always get the top ranks and usually in our class the highest marks are in the 60's / 70's and maybe 80's depending on how hard the test is and the lowest are in the 30's and below. .. if i drop to general the people in that class get lower marks..therefore i have to come first in every assesmment to get a good mark right? i need to decide by tuesday at the latest :( but thankyou for all the input it helps to know what others opinions are ! =]

Fish Sauce

HSC
N/A
The thing is that as far as I know General is a completely different course, so you would have to catch up on a lot of stuff. You may better spend your time going back over your 2 Unit stuff and improving there.

In the end though it's up to you, hope it all works out!

bringbackshred

I AM ANGRY.
HSC
If you did Advanced Maths in Year 10, it's all the same (I've learnt maybe 2 new things since year 10 in maths).

x_babee-gurl_x

HSC
Re: Should I drop to general ? HELP! :(

yeah u did ! lol sorry guys .. it was an accident and i cudnt figure out how to delete the other 2 ? :S as you can tell, i dont come on here very often .:wave:

Fish Sauce

HSC
N/A
bringbackshred said:
If you did Advanced Maths in Year 10, it's all the same (I've learnt maybe 2 new things since year 10 in maths).
In that case, ignore what I said. :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)