Should I Drop To General Maths From 2unit! Help! :( (1 Viewer)

x_babee-gurl_x

HSC
Thanks for your words of motivation ! oki was i wondering is there a certain mark u can get in general maths so u wont b affected much by scaling ? what if the year overall doess realy bad but lets say i do really well..how does that affect me ?

HSC
you can't afford to get under 80.

if you do really well all the better for you, scaling mainly affects the people in the middle to bottom ranks.

N

noir.

According to SAM, i can afford to get a band 4 in maths. Most people will get a band 4 and 5, and its best to be ranked within the top 10 [as my maths teacher says]

aim to get 75% + in your exams and you will be fine

x_babee-gurl_x

HSC
but is there a chance that if i do well, they might scale me down cos i did well in an easy course so even if i get 90+ theyll probably scale me down to 70 rightt cos its easier...?

N

noir.

x_babee-gurl_x said:
but is there a chance that if i do well, they might scale me down cos i did well in an easy course so even if i get 90+ theyll probably scale me down to 70 rightt cos its easier...?
you cant get scaled down if you achieve a mark higher that the state average mark. but if you want to get scaled up then a band 6 would be good. On SAM, i enter the mark of 82 for maths along with other subjects. when i change that mark to 78 my uai isnt much different because general maths doesnt scale so much. So i can afford to get a band 4 in maths and still get a lovely UAI, aslong as i get those marks im aiming for.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
For the original threadstarter, you might try and ask your teacher. He/she will probabaly have the best opinion (apart from you) about whether your performance is up to scratch.

nichhhole

asndihsCfuckingansbdiuahd
HSC
to the OP.
ok..
so i asked a maht teacher about ur predicament..

he said that the gen course was completely different from year 10adv math..
and htat u need 2932103 forumlas..
he also said that if any of us [the 4u class..] were to drop to general.. we'd only get about 75% because its such differnt thinking and so many different thigns to learn...

that worried me.
let usknow as to what u decide to do..

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
nichhhole said:
to the OP.
ok..

he also said that if any of us [the 4u class..] were to drop to general.. we'd only get about 75% because its such differnt thinking and so many different thigns to learn...

that worried me.
They also give most of those formulas on the formula sheet, or so I've seen.

nichhhole

HSC
SoulSearcher said:
They also give most of those formulas on the formula sheet, or so I've seen.

ooh, that is true.

Maybe he's just lieing to us..

[ps. how do u spell the verb of 'lie'??

HSC
nichhhole said:
to the OP.
ok..

that worried me.
many of those formulas are on a formula sheet. lol. they have SOH, CAH, TOA on them ferchrissakes

yeah the difference between four unit and two unit is four uniters do about half the number of topics and in much more depth while two uniters do easier work, but more topics in less depth. so there is much more to remember in two unit.

although im not sure if its wise to compare dropping down from 4 unit to general because the difference is so much more! there will probably be more to learn dropping down to general from two unit, but the work will be easier. people drop back down at this time simply because they cannot handle the work in two unit and will not be able to handle it.

x_babee-gurl_x

HSC
nichhhole said:
to the OP.
ok..

that worried me.
sooo ..in the endd was teacher saying its NOT a good idea to drop down ?

HSC
x_babee-gurl_x said:
Heyy everyone! I need a bit of advice.. The thing is I do 2unit maths at this stage and my marks have been shocking! When I mean shockin, I mean to say I got less than 40% in my half yearlies. :( SHIT GO! I just wish I had dropped it in year 11 but I didnt. The reason for that was because I was told by ALOT of people that general maths scales low. I just want to know, if i drop down to general (my teacher is willing to let me drop) will it scale me down because its an easier course? this whole scaling system confuses me alott and im not sure what I should do. Teachers are really no help these days. If i could have some input on this from you guys that would be great! thanks :)

SUBJECTS: Adv english, chemistry, biology, extension history, 2unit maths, ancient history

UAI AIM: 70 +

my advice, if ur not good at maths DROP it ASAP, always ur wasting time. like me, i dropped it 1 week before trials, waste of time and money.... ><

goodluck .. though

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
x_babee-gurl_x said:
sooo ..in the endd was teacher saying its NOT a good idea to drop down ?
nope. different stuff to learn and catch up.

while on the other hand

lilkiwicutie89 said:
my advice, if ur not good at maths DROP it ASAP, always ur wasting time. like me, i dropped it 1 week before trials, waste of time and money.... ><

goodluck .. though
theres nothing important to lose dropping mx1

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
watatank said:
sure there is. valuable background for your engineering course, should you choose to do it.
look, i dont like mx1 and im not a good performer in it, what is it in mx1 that makes it assumed knowledge for engineering ? that's one major obstacle for me.

nichhhole

HSC
lilkiwicutie89 said:
Not an option.
Check unit count.

mzduxx2006

HSC
x_babee-gurl_x said:
Heyy everyone! I need a bit of advice.. The thing is I do 2unit maths at this stage and my marks have been shocking! When I mean shockin, I mean to say I got less than 40% in my half yearlies. :( SHIT GO! I just wish I had dropped it in year 11 but I didnt. The reason for that was because I was told by ALOT of people that general maths scales low. I just want to know, if i drop down to general (my teacher is willing to let me drop) will it scale me down because its an easier course? this whole scaling system confuses me alott and im not sure what I should do. Teachers are really no help these days. If i could have some input on this from you guys that would be great! thanks :)

SUBJECTS: Adv english, chemistry, biology, extension history, 2unit maths, ancient history

UAI AIM: 70 +
DO IT!!! it will be the best thing for you. TRUST ME...i done it. I droped from advanced maths where i was failing (below 50%) to general maths where i am getting 90% and above for most exams.....and if yu dont study yu'll get in tha 70's at least it is a worry off yur back and yur guarenteed if yu put in a half arsed effort. to get a good mark. and NO IT WILL NOT DROPP YUR UAI considering if yu do excellent at yur other subjects.

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
Close this thread already.

There is only 2 possible views except everyone has a go at it.

1) Don't drop it

2) Drop it

Take your pick

Basic Facts:

If you do absolutely crap at 2U what is the point of doing it? It will not help your UAI but if you were to drop to General and do well in it it would be much better than if you failed 2U. If you think you are going to fail 2U in the end, it has no redeeming value so drop it down to something that will benefit you.

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
f3nr15 said:
look, i dont like mx1 and im not a good performer in it, what is it in mx1 that makes it assumed knowledge for engineering ? that's one major obstacle for me.
The fact that it forces you think outside the square, and promotes a different mathematical mindset to 2-unit. Which is essential to engineering and thus why its assumed knowledge for engineering at uni.

HSC
f3nr15 said:
well if you really really want to you can drop it, but you will encounter it again in uni anyway. its worth keeping for that alone. if you want to do engineering you are going to encounter hard maths, and that means pretty much all of three unit and most of four unit concepts, in first year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)