Should I Drop To General Maths From 2unit! Help! :( (1 Viewer)

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
nichhhole said:
Firstly.. u seem concerned about the scaling factor... if you had enough units id recommend that you just totally drop maths altogether.. [the scaling for general is quite atrocious, for the amount of time you'd need to dedicate to it..(ie to catch up and go well...) i think you would have been better off just spending the time focusing on all your other subjects...
No. As bringbackshred said, having done year 10 advanced maths will mean you are pretty up to scratch with the work you would have learnt so far. And if you have had the ability to stay afloat in 2U, it shouldn't be difficult for you to learn whatever you have missed.

nichhhole said:
BUT seeing as dropping isnt really an option for you...
you need to ask yourself..
'how much work have i honestly put in for 2u maht so far..'
if you know you gave it alot of effort [and still didnt go all that well..] then perhaps consider general..
but if you know you didnt put that much effort in [and u also know u are willing to put more effort in..] then stick with it.. [2u math is better in scaling than general..]

that said,
you shouldnt take subjects that exceed ur capabilities because scaling will not make up for that...
[you'd probably do even worse because it's generally better to be in the top of the lower subjects than the lower percentile of the harder subjects..]
if 2U is above you, than go to Gen..

but dropping will have its trials and tribulationssssssssss!

personally i'd stick with 2 U if i were you...

goodluck :)
So many people complain that by the end of the HSC they wished they had dropped down to general as the work would be managable. If you stick with 2U and do moderately bad, you will negatively suffer and possibly end up hating the subject and therefore putting no effort into it. By the end of the year it wouldn't have worked out good.

Don't ever trust in scaling...especially since most of you have no idea what scaling is or how it works. (Yes, I understand that you think you are aware of how it works but chances are you have no clue.)

greycats

Mister Monday
HSC
Re: Should I drop to general ? HELP! :(

If you're going to drop down make sure you have someones book to copy from or something so you know what's going on ;p
I wouldn't bother if I were you, but I've got no idea how hard 2unit maths is.. im a general maths sucker !

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
Re: Should I drop to general ? HELP! :(

Yes, drop. <40% is a pretty damn bad mark for 2-unit.

HSC
If I was in your position, I would drop. But then again, it is hard to say, we dont do your exams and they differ from school to school, the only one who can decide on which is best off is you. If you feel that the concepts in 2U are well and truly beyond you, and you are working really hard but its just not clicking, drop to general. But if you think that you might not be putting in 110%, but you are willing to work harder, stay in 2U. Maybe try tutoring or extra lessons to enhance your understanding??? Either way, it is hard work. If you srop to general you basically need to learn the whole prelim course and over half of the HSC course, and even though most of the concepts aren't that hard, that's a lot of catching up to do at this stage, especially on top of your other subjects. Yet if you stay in 2U you will need to work extremely hard to increase your mark and rank. I have a friend who just dropped to general- he has caught up but it took a while, so it is possible. And more often then not, the people who drop down from 2U totally own the general exams once they have caught up, well they do at my school anyway. And in terms of scaling, if you do really well in 2U you will end up better off then the people who did really poorly in 2U anyway. So if you put the effort in, general may actually end up better for you in relation to scaling. That's what I was told anyway, cause I dropped from 2U to general after a dismal 33% in my prelim half yearly.

HSC
michelleyeaman said:
if you do really well in 2U you will end up better off then the people who did really poorly in 2U anyway.
Oops. I meant that if you do really well in general, you will end up better off then the people who do really poorly in 2U.

Maddy1012

HSC
watatank said:
isn't general math like year 10 advanced math?
yeah. and i found that hard. I hate maths.
so i dropped it. im never gonna use algebra or trig when im shopping for example. Maths just made me angry.

bringbackshred

I AM ANGRY.
HSC
Maddy1012 said:
yeah. and i found that hard. I hate maths.
so i dropped it. im never gonna use algebra or trig when im shopping for example. Maths just made me angry.
Things like that, apart from having use in tertiary education courses, are designed to promote logical thiking that is necessary later in life. People who say they will have no use for maths are obviously going to lead a boring (and failed) life.

N

noir.

Dropping down to general wont guarentee you better marks, trust me. Quite a number of people were kicked out of 2unit and are doing just as bad in general because it is a completely different course.

HSC
put simply...if its struggling from lack of trying then try harder...if its struggling from the material being too hard...then its much more beneficial to drop. whats better? a 80ish in general math (very doable) compared to a fail in maths?

as someone mentioned before, so many struggling 2 unit students finish the hsc, get crap marks then they start wishing they dropped back to general. if you are struggling you are struggling, if you have the option to drop back why not take it?

HSC
Gangles.McGee said:
Dropping down to general wont guarentee you better marks, trust me. Quite a number of people were kicked out of 2unit and are doing just as bad in general because it is a completely different course.
or maybe its because they are just lazy and arent willing to put in the work. people who are doing two unit should have done year 10 advanced maths im sure? there are overlaps, or so ive heard. ive heard you still need to put a little bit of work into it just like any other subject because there will be a couple of new things.

N

noir.

watatank said:
or maybe its because they are just lazy and arent willing to put in the work. people who are doing two unit should have done year 10 advanced maths im sure? there are overlaps, or so ive heard. ive heard you still need to put a little bit of work into it just like any other subject because there will be a couple of new things.
No actually they study ALOT and still dont achieve the marks [most likely because of the difference from 2U and because the school sets hard exams]
General can get challenging, believe it or not and some people find it really hard [but they're just crazy and shouldnt be doing maths at all]

Andrew007

HSC
i do general maths now and did yr 10 advanced (long story). i know quite a few ppl that dropped from 2, even 3 unit mathematics. srsly, general maths is easy to kill if u are good at basic problem solving and simple stuff...like school certificate kind of question. it has yr 10 advanced stuff in it, as well as yr 9 and even yr 8 work. my advice, drop down to general. ppl think it scales bad...and it does if u dont get a band 5 at least. but nefing over 90 and u hardly become a victim to the scaling trap.
drop down, get a band 5 at least or if u apply urself 90+ and u will kill the hsc. betta to get 90 in general maths than under 75 in 2 unit mathematics. first tho i suggest u download past papers and try them out.

williamc

HSC
If you drop down to general, make sure you study your arse off for the first assessment as that mark will be your estimate had you completed the previous assessments.

N

noir.

Andrew007 said:
ppl think it scales bad...and it does if u dont get a band 5 at least. but nefing over 90 and u hardly become a victim to the scaling trap.
the scaling isnt brilliant at all, but i'd say aiming to get 78+ wont pull you down so much.

HSC
honestly anyone who is thinking of dropping down from two unit to general maths get scaling out of your minds. if youre totally struggling in two unit youre screwed anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)