Should I Drop To General Maths From 2unit! Help! :( (1 Viewer)

dukey

HSC
if you drop, do it soon!!

personally I think its a tiny bit late if you think about all the work you have to catch up on :(

Good luck

noobsgetowned

HSC
ari89 said:
The main thing to remember is that 2 unit maths gets much harder from here on in. Well, at my school they decided to leave all the hard topics 'till the end where we were short of time. If you are having problems in easier topics and haven't even began the harder topics, it may be in your best interest to drop to the subject. However, it is noteworthy to mention that your mark of 40% is not directly comparable to anything else for your performance. E.g. 40% at your school may be equal to 60% some where else. If you seem to be at the bottom rank of your class it might make more sense to drop down.

The general rule for subjects that people brand as 'bad scaling' is that if you do excellent in it, they can only take so little possible marks away through scaling. But as with all subjects, if you go bad it reflects in your exam marks, uai etc.
Thats so true... farken im sturggling aswell its gone really hard now.... although we nearly have covered the whole course but i swear maths is gone very hard =S

Vagabond

Machine
HSC
If you plan to study engineering, science or commerce at university, you'll help yourself by being good at 2unit.

Yes 2U can get hard but remember that most of the exam will always be pretty easy, as in nothing more than applying basic rules/concepts.

"DO IT!!! it will be the best thing for you. TRUST ME...i done it. I droped from advanced maths where i was failing (below 50%) to general maths where i am getting 90% and above for most exams..."

Only do this if you've already put in a lot of effort. Taking the easy path out of something like an education is only ripping yourself of.

Want me to paint a pretty picture? I did 2unit and I didn't even think i'd need maths for a commerce degree. In highschool you spend over 2 months learning calculus and its various forms, in my foundational quantitative core we spend less than 2 weeks on it and they expect a better understanding than what the HSC will ever expect from you..

I can't even begin to imagine how those general maths people are suffering.

By the end of the day base your choices on what you want out of your future - and remember that the HSC is not the end of it.

Last edited:

Vagabond

Machine
HSC
Yes, of course.

But the point is, certain degrees require varying abilities at maths. The maths isn't going to get any easier at uni.

MyLoveIsPure

HSC
a kid from advanced math ( 2 unit) dropped to general maths like a couple of weeks ago and his marks got reset. We done like 2 tests since then and he got over 90 for both so his overall mark for maths is over 90 and he missed more than half the assessments. Besides, general maths is piss easy. i average about 97.5% for every topic test we have. My math teacher always said " as long as you get above 80, ur fine". the state average for gen. maths is like 75 so as long as you get above that ur good. But trust me on this one, general maths is very easy and seeming you are aiming for a UAI over 70, you should do general maths.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)