Should I give up on my firend? (1 Viewer)

Dragonmaster262

Unorthodox top student
HSC
Wait, since you both do the same subjects...and you're helping him, isn't that also helping yourself solidify your own knowledge/revision?
Lol he wants me to go over basic concepts e.g. how to differentiate and integrate. We never have time to go over the Advanced stuff because he's always struggling with the basics.

fishfingerz

HSC
He needs 86 ATAR to get into UWS.
that's probably the reason why he doesn't care, thinking that 86 atar is not that hard to achieve and maybe planning to gun the trials or hsc to make up for it. you should tell him not to underestimate though, cos i'm aiming for 90 and in the bottom half of a 200+ for most of my subjects and i still doubt i will even get that

HSC
Ok here's the deal my friend is a bright but extremely lazy guy. He does the same subjects as me except he does 3 Unit not 4 Unit. For the past 2 years he's been bludging like hell and has been failing or barley passsing almost all of his assessment tasks without even caring. His parents and teachers are concerned but he doesn't care that much. I told him to stop mucking around but he's ignorant and won't listen. He needs 86 ATAR to get into UWS. The problem is that I spend a lot of time helping him in school and out of school; too much time in fact (but he still fails or barely passes because he always neglects all the advice I give him). All this time could be btter used to help myself. Since the HSC is approaching I'm wondering if I should give up on him and just concentrate on my own studies. What do you guys think? I should help him or not? I've neglected my own work to help him but he his grades haven't really improved at all. He's ranekd inthe lwoer half in almost all of his subjects and we go to a school ranked 500+ so that's a very bad position to be in It's not because he's dumb it's just that he's very lazy and for some reason being very foolish. So time's running out and I need to make a decision real soon. Should I give up on him or still try to help him out?
OMG STEVEN!
HOW COULD YOU SAY THAT!

I'm NOT in the bottom half of all my subjects! I'm more like just above average. Anyway, how could you ask a group of randoms on whether you should give up OUR friendship. I've known you since Year 7 and what you have said breaks my heart. I really do appreciate how much time and effort you spend on me and I promise when I win the lottery from all the gambling money I won at Star City, I'll give you some. I'm doing quite well in 3U Maths btw~ ANDDDD My grades have sort of improved..

And remember what Mr. Cranberry said about our year being the smartest cohort? So we're really at a top 300 school OKAY

I STILL WANT TO BE YOUR FRIENDDDDDDDDDDD

lychnobity

HSC
But everyone (his parents and teachers) are worried about him and as a friend aren't I obligated to help him?
Talk some sense into him. Make clear what's on the line.

What matters most when you finish the HSC aren't the marks you get, it's the 'life skills' you pick up along the way ie balancing studying, social life, sports, girlfriends/boyfriends, family life, hobbies/interests, household chores (laundry, cleaning your room)

These things you must learn NOW before you're flooded at uni. This is when you start learning how to live LIFE.

Last edited:

Sadiah

HSC
Obviously, you're obliged to try to help him as he is a friend of yours.

However, don't go out of your way for him.

If he doesn't care less, you shouldn't either.

You've done your job - you've tried to help him.

He ain't taking anything you're saying into account, so whatever he gets in his ATAR is his fault, not yours. But if you focus on him too much, then whatever you get for your ATAR would be your fault, not his.

Also, he seems like an idiot, and it takes an idiot to deal with an idiot.:tongue:

mirakon

nigga
HSC
He sounds like someone who isn't even trying so no offence, but why help him if he doesn't care?

postnatal

Banned
HSC
N/A
how can you be bright and fail the same time? like ok being lazy equates to not doing hw or revision but if he was really bright shouldn't he just pick things up anyway purely by just being in class?

and 'foolish' and 'ignorant' hahaha, there is more to life than studying, not everyone wants to be part of the system.

AAEldar

Premium Member
HSC
how can you be bright and fail the same time? like ok being lazy equates to not doing hw or revision but if he was really bright shouldn't he just pick things up anyway purely by just being in class?

and 'foolish' and 'ignorant' hahaha, there is more to life than studying, not everyone wants to be part of the system.
Like I said in the thread earlier, I've got a friend who is smart but doesn't apply themselves. In class they'll listen to their iPod or do something else rather than listening.

HSC
Uni Grad
Like I said in the thread earlier, I've got a friend who is smart but doesn't apply themselves. In class they'll listen to their iPod or do something else rather than listening.
Yar, there's a kid at my school who is liek that, plays on his phone every lesson, never studies instead he gets drunk at parties liek every night and got liek 95+ in everything in the school certificate.

HSC
Uni Grad
Probably should just give up on him. After all he's not going to push himself with this type of attitude no matter how much you help him.

muzeikchun852

HSC
OMG STEVEN!
HOW COULD YOU SAY THAT!

I'm NOT in the bottom half of all my subjects! I'm more like just above average. Anyway, how could you ask a group of randoms on whether you should give up OUR friendship. I've known you since Year 7 and what you have said breaks my heart. I really do appreciate how much time and effort you spend on me and I promise when I win the lottery from all the gambling money I won at Star City, I'll give you some. I'm doing quite well in 3U Maths btw~ ANDDDD My grades have sort of improved..

And remember what Mr. Cranberry said about our year being the smartest cohort? So we're really at a top 300 school OKAY

is this real. but OP mention s/he does 3U maths but u do 4U maths. his/her aim is 86 but urs is 72.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
OMG STEVEN!
HOW COULD YOU SAY THAT!

assuming troll

but very well done

Dragonmaster262

Unorthodox top student
HSC
OMG STEVEN!
HOW COULD YOU SAY THAT!

omg i cant believe you started a thread about this dragonmaster i am not lazy! >:[
Fail at trolling. This guy doesn't even have an account on BoS although I told him to make one. Plus he came in Year 9 not Year 7 (even I wasn't around in Year 7) so it's obvious you guys are lying. Besides I'm not interested in money so you can keep all the gambling money you won at Star City.

nutcracker

the restaurant at the end of the universe.
HSC
i had a friend once almost exactly like that. he was really smart, but just didn't apply himself and he pretty much emotionally blackmailed me (on the basis of our so called 'friendship) into helping him and giving him work that i spent blood, sweat and tears on. then i realised, why the shit am i wasting my energy helping someone who won't even bother to help himself?
trust me, you'd be a better friend if you stopped helping that guy, maybe then he'll grow up.

HSC
줄 수 있는 게 이 노래밖에 없다
가진 거라곤 이 목소리밖에 없다
이게 널 웃게 만들 수 있을진 모르지만
그래도 불러본다 니가 받아주길 바래본다

Listen to nutcracker..she knows what she's saying

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)