Should I give up on my firend? (1 Viewer)

HSC
most people on BOS are "stupid"...according to a certain someone...........

I find that highly offensive.

What you said hurt me...deep inside..

I feel like crying because I've been hurt emotionally

Is that what you wanted?

nutcracker

the restaurant at the end of the universe.
HSC
ROFL. :haha:

i retract my statement ^^
apologies for any hearts broken in the process ^^
(-hands over tissues to muffin0man-)
i just got pissed off at one particular person,
and perfectly illogical as it is, i decided to rage against the whole group.
most people on bos are cool ^^ or else why would i waste my time here? =)
frienddds? x)

norez

HSC
Reminds me of my brother...

If all of the concern from his parents and his teachers isn't making an impact on him, your's won't either. Leave him to his own devices. The HSC is about one's own effort and determination. Your help, although nice, is not going to do him any good if he doesn't want to do anything to advance it.

You are not being self centered by weaning him off. It's your HSC, you come first. Good luck.

gesh17

HSC
N/A
As selfish as this may sound, the HSC is all about self-interest. It'd be best to achieve an ATAR that lands you straight into university and to do that, you must devote all your school/study time to yourself and yourself alone. That being said, however, it may/may not be a good idea to learn from + teach others who are ranked at similar positions to you and are capable of achieving high marks. With your friend though, I'd definitely give up on him and focus on my own studies.

Kanane

HSC
N/A
Seriously, give up on him.
If he doesn't want to learn, what's the point of you putting yourself in turmoil? You tried, but he didn't. If he wanted to learn, helping him wouldn't be an issue at all, but the truth is, he is not committed himself. You are a friend, you've done enough. Really.

HSC
The Board of Studies has reiterated the fact it's "your HSC"- That in itself encompasses your answer.

I've been in the exact same situation, however I gave up on the certain person mid-term 1. I would literally spoon feed her answers and even then have to repeat myself. Gave up on helping this person, and have been only benefiting with the additional time. I suggest you do the same.

nutcracker

the restaurant at the end of the universe.
HSC
oh ALSO, when i stopped helping my friend, i think he realised that he wasn't going to be spoonfed any longer and he really picked up his game. now he's beating me in maths and chem. T_T;"
so my point is, chances are, if you withdraw your help, your friend will probably start to do things himself.

HSC
Uni Grad
The best way to help people like this is to leave them to help themselves.

harrisony

goodbye cruel world
HSC
N/A
I found that in DT in year 8 and electronics in year 9/10 I was pretty skilled at operating the laser cutter (it's shiny and burns stuffs). I spent a good amount of my time helping on other peoples projects, engraving ipod's and other cool stuff like that. In the end my own projects weren't finished and my teacher would comment how I spent too much time helping people and was disadvantaging myself.

As a friend you should be trying to encourage him to work and set goals and all that. It seems that everyone is trying to do that with him and he's just not listening/accepting it/whatever.

Set your primary focus on your own work, you'll need it. Don't completely forget him but focus on yourself.
He'll just have to learn the hard way of getting into uni.

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
give up on him - focus on yourself!!!!

it is his problem if he does not want to study

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
You've done what you can and that's all you can do. Don't F up your life because he can't be bothered to get his act together.

mioumiou

HSC
Ok here's the deal my friend is a bright but extremely lazy guy. He does the same subjects as me except he does 3 Unit not 4 Unit. For the past 2 years he's been bludging like hell and has been failing or barley passsing almost all of his assessment tasks without even caring. His parents and teachers are concerned but he doesn't care that much. I told him to stop mucking around but he's ignorant and won't listen. He needs 86 ATAR to get into UWS. The problem is that I spend a lot of time helping him in school and out of school; too much time in fact (but he still fails or barely passes because he always neglects all the advice I give him). All this time could be btter used to help myself. Since the HSC is approaching I'm wondering if I should give up on him and just concentrate on my own studies. What do you guys think? I should help him or not? I've neglected my own work to help him but he his grades haven't really improved at all. He's ranekd inthe lwoer half in almost all of his subjects and we go to a school ranked 500+ so that's a very bad position to be in It's not because he's dumb it's just that he's very lazy and for some reason being very foolish. So time's running out and I need to make a decision real soon. Should I give up on him or still try to help him out?
It is extremely nice of you trying very hard helping your friend out. I would say try and help him out first, but if you've tried you're best and he just keep being lazy and not doing his work then I think you should stop helping him by that time.

Well, for me, I would love to help my friends (some of my friends are international students) and when they first came here, they've struggled a lot, and I've helped them quite a bit. But they're all hard working people.

Just have a try first. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)