Should i read the bible? (1 Viewer)

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
If u wanna read it do so, though i havent personally read every page in the Bible, but havent needed to as ive been to Catholic Schools

chookyn

poulet de montagne
HSC
if you're new to the Bible, don't try from cover to cover - it's huge - just take bits and pieces as you discover/search for them.

The Bible has principles (but not necessarily 'pat' answers) for every human experience. If you want to know things from the beginning, start at Genesis. if you want wisdom and insight, try Proverbs. if you want comfort in suffering, try Job and Psalms. Some pretty deep, angsty stuff there. Job questions God a lot. If you want guidance/teaching, the Gospels (Matt, Mark, Luke, John) and Romans are excellent. If you want to know apocalyptic stuff, try Revelation. (that is a very profound book though, with rich symbolism - you might want a good Bible commentary for that book). Song of Solomon is full of erotic love poetry.

If you simply want to read good stories, you'll find them throughout. There's nothing to lose by having a look. To be honest, i don't read my Bible as often as i'd like to, but i'd be lost without it. It's helped me out so many times when I've been hurting and confused, and needing the kind of guidance that only God can give.

The Bible reveals God and his relevance - it helps you make sense of life. Try to get one with extra features and explanations, which makes it easier to understand the significance of texts, etc. A fast-find topic index is also very helpful. If you don't have access to a printed Bible, it's on the internet - exactly what's in the print formats, only with many more versions available. (www.biblegateway.com is highly recommended, there's also www.crosswalk.com, to name just a couple)

NIV is a good all-round reliable version to start with, also The Message is excellent for its readability.

yes, you should at least have a look through the Bible.

When you do read it, like all texts, it's important to dismiss all your preconceived notions and read with an open mind, else you might not get much out of it.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
RingerINC said:
I dont think a million dollars could convince you of the wonders of that piece of ass.
Nobody cares what you think.

steph@nie

narcissistic whore.
HSC
During religion I used to read the bible. My favourite story was when jacob got tricked into marrying two sisters. It had it all- sex, scandal and animals. What more could you ask for?

iamsickofyear12

HSC
Unless you are highly christian or something you shouldn't bother. It's just a gaint waste of time.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
Unless you are highly christian or something you shouldn't bother. It's just a gaint waste of time.
Ignorance and stupidity are not valid reasons for overlooking the core text of the last 2000 years of Western Civilisation you cretin.

cappen

Has an Executive Member
HSC
man u gotta have alot of fuckin free time, seriously..its very fuckin big

Meads

Drummer Boy
HSC
i tried to read the bible...i found the plot very hard to follow...

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
The bible is more of a reference book then a novel. It's more like a dictionary or encyclopedia.

inasero

Reborn
HSC
see, the bible is not meant to be read as a story book because it is in fact a collection of books so things might initially seem a bit confusing...the old testament including the pentateuch (first 5 books) up until judges are pretty much chronological and tell the story of the creation, fall of israel, wandering around in desert for 40 years, establishment of israel as a nation, split into northern and southern kingdom, fall of israel (again!) and then the random books like song of songs or psalms and also some prophetic writings such as lamentations or malachi...the bible stories we all know are from the pentateuch and synoptic gospels (matthew mark, luke, john) in the new testament but if you want to delve a little deeper into the theology you'd have to be pretty set on learning it because there is alot of history

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Read the bible? short answer : no.

heybraham

HSC
i'm gonna follow my good friend Deus' approach.

NO. DON'T READ THE BIBLE. WHATEVER YOU DO.

DO Live in your old ignorant self and try get past page 3 on Stephen Hawkings' 'Brief History of Time' on your quest for athiesm instead. (and tell me if it's more rational than Genesis or not, before you accuse Christians of being stupid)

Last edited:

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
I've read bits of the bible. I think its interesting to read the books that other faiths follow. Deffinetly agree that its majorly dense though. Took me a while to get my head around it.

heybraham

HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
i don't understand why you have to be highly christian...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)