Votes: 109 57.7%
  • no

Votes: 80 42.3%

• Total voters

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Should maths be compulsory and count towards UAI lie english?

I think it should be since maths is more helpful in life than english.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
yeah I find using Maths I can calculate the minimum speed required to spin a bucket with a brick in it so it doesnt fall on my head.
english wont do much.
the beauty of art is that it is a signature of society.
so maybe both but then i lean towards maths a little

conics2008

HSC
No it shoudn't be complusory are you out of your freaking mind..

Maths is GAY!

Aplus

HSC
N/A
Maths is fundamental in the ability to think logically and the application of problem solving skills. In essence, a person could learn everything in Maths by themselves if they wanted to. It's not only the content which makes it so important. Maths teaches people to be better thinkers.

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
Yeah, why not. Like what Aplus said, it helps build logic. :D

Foxodi

HSC
Aplus said:
Maths is fundamental in the ability to think logically and the application of problem solving skills. In essence, a person could learn everything in Maths by themselves if they wanted to. It's not only the content which makes it so important. Maths teaches people to be better thinkers.
+1.

only1year2go

HSC
NO!!

i don't do it at school and would fail the subject if it was compulsory.
so... no lol

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
only1year2go said:
NO!!

i don't do it at school and would fail the subject if it was compulsory.
so... no lol
Think of the people who suffer for compulsory english.

Dundasbro

HSC
Aplus said:
One could argue the same for the "What is history?" portion of Extension History, except for the application of problem solving skills.

solomarc20

*Yawn
HSC
N/A
Maths should b compulsory! Ny1 ever had 2 wait around 4 checkout ppl who can't add up properly?

I have...

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
I agree with Aplus. I think Mathematics should be compulsory however it does not need to be counted towards UAI if it is not within the top 10 Units. Instead, they will need to pass Mathematics instead of counting it towards UAI.

Same for English, I hope.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
WTH to above posts.

We are merely stating the subjects of the most importance. I am already aware of the benefit that Visual Arts may bring. However, Mathematics is more important. I don't think you will deny that statement.

kthxbambi

HSC
neither subject should be compulsory
some people simply cannot do math, just like some people cannot do english
all compulsory subjects do is drag down the UAI of that person and the whole year group.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
fOR3V3RPINKKKK said:
Thats bullshit. The matter is subjective. While maths may be important to you it may not be as the same importance to other people and if youre going to say that it gives students logical thinking skills, my comment is what about other skills such as creativity. I was merely pointing out that each subject has its own benefits.
Shall I put that into test? I predict that more than half will agree with me that Mathematics is important than Visual Arts. No, actually I will predict about 75%. If you are talking about benefits, you should also mention the extent of the benefits. I would say the skills you learn from General Mathematics is more useful than skills you get from Visual Arts. And that's why we choose subjects that will give us the best edge possible because we just cannot choose all the subjects. (human's wants are limitless but our resources are limited, that's we choose)

And my post earlier would have been subjective indeed. But there is a something called "common sense". Would I be subjective if I say that Selective School people are generally smarter than those in Public School?

Last edited:

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
fOR3V3RPINKKKK said:
That is exactly my point! What about the other 25%? And even so just because the majority think it is so - it doesn't necessarily mean that it is true. What is truth? How do we determine truth? Again the matter is subjective not objective.

(hahaha I think I've been taking to much philosophy classes)
Then doesn't that prove that Mathematics is generally important than Visual Arts?

Please stop giving me those philosophy lessons, you are gradually persuading me to choose Philosophy rather than Cosmology! lol

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
fOR3V3RPINKKKK said:
And if you are going to mention the extent of the benifits, I think it is also important to consider how much of the benifit we absorb, cause from studying a bit of 2U maths and general maths, I have to say that I learned more logical thinking skills in Economics and as for problem solving skills well that really didn't help me cause I already knew how to solve the basic problems given in general maths and as for 2U maths I dont see how you can get problem solving from that (btw I am refering to everyday problems not maths problems).

No because that isn't such a subjective matter based on the fact that students there are required to sit tests etc. Therefore that is an unfair comparrision
Ok, ok. At this rate, we will make a 10 pages of argument in this thread. (just like the other day)

I appreciate your opinions but I will stick to mine.

Rhanoct

zzzzz
HSC
I think food technology should be compulsory because if we don't have food we die!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)