Votes: 109 57.7%
  • no

Votes: 80 42.3%

• Total voters

bawd

HSC
charithjperera said:
well not zero, but it doesnt require much thinking either :S
IMO we are given notes with interpretations of texts and stuff and were meant to duplicate them for the exams :p

I know what im saying is bit over the edge but seriously, english doesnt demand much brainpower :p
Ah, English might be taught quite differently at our school (or maybe it's just our class). Our class is encouraged to have academic discussions about texts and come up with our own points and theses rather than that regurgitating other writer's works. We often end up in heated debates, since everyone in our class comes from a variety of standpoints.

However, we are encouraged to do other readings outside of the classroom to boost our knowledge base and add a level of ethos to our argument.

:)

Nuttaiish

HSC
i dun really like maths, but i agree it is much helpful like English that we need it in our every day's life.

.deimonic

HSC
For all you people saying yr 12 maths is not needed in most jobs, you're wrong! We learn how to do superannuation and time-repayments... it helps with budgeting.

And I seriously most people will need essays in future jobs, perhaps for university but really that's it. (Unless you become an english teacher or something)

always.dreaming

sporadic attendee
HSC
N/A
I enjoy both English and Maths and thus wouldn't drop either, but I agree with this:

kthxbambi said:
neither subject should be compulsory
some people simply cannot do math, just like some people cannot do english
all compulsory subjects do is drag down the UAI of that person and the whole year group.
Forget scaling etc. You're going to do well picking subjects you enjoy doing - why force someone who is traditionally bad at a subject and make him/her do it? Amirite?

Bainesy said:
i cant actually believe someone is trying to argue the importance of visual arts

like, seriously?
hahaha

Uncle

Banned
HSC
For all you people saying yr 12 maths is not needed in most jobs, you're wrong! We learn how to do superannuation and time-repayments... it helps with budgeting.

And I seriously most people will need essays in future jobs, perhaps for university but really that's it. (Unless you become an english teacher or something)
mathematics has almost limitless potential, i just cannot list them all.

it should be compulsory as well as english.
just as english teaches you how to communicate through various forms effectively and understand various texts in detail, mathematics teaches you how to approach and solve problems and develop critical thinking.

in fact if it wasnt for mathematics we would not be accustomed to all the technology we all take for granted.

maths must be compulsory.

Uncle

Banned
HSC
I was actually thinking about this the other day. And yes my bias is towards maths. i despise english.

Anyway, i think EITHER maths OR english should be compulsory based on the nature of your other subjects and generally the nature of the student taking those subjects. (feel free to point out the flaws, it was just an idea)

for example- you take physics, chemistry, economics, music 2 you would have to take maths but you could also do english if you so choose. but maths would be compulsory.

If you're taking modern, ancient, business studies and drama because you're doing essay based subjects you must do english, however you can also do maths if you so choose.

If you're doing a mixture of both essay and science subjects you can choose, or also do both if you want.

My thinking behind this is maths generally goes with science and the student taking sciences having to do maths would probably be more beneficial than the same student having to do english. This goes the same for essay based students- english would be more helpful for success in their other subjects

if you think this idea is stupid... fine. i'm sure i'll see the point, but no need to slaughter it.

time for schoooooool (woo double maths:))
Quite a valid point actually.

alcalder

Just ask for help
HSC
N/A
Not everyone requires the advanced type of mathematics that are covered in the HSC and Prelim courses. For those who struggle, why subject them to two years of torture?

While I LOVE maths and would love to see everyone share that love, I know, realistically, that there are some people who do not share that same passion or ability.

HOWEVER, I do think that English should be compulsory. We live in an English speaking country and need to converse, read, write and everything else in that society. It is important to have those skills.

And I was not good at English at school. I have matured into that subject, for sure.

daryl-d

HSC
Maths is the best (if you're alright at it), although i may be biased

but english is not really relevant, if it went over someting that was more relevent than 'belonging'and the prescribed texts were more applicable to our peer group- then perhaps i may think otherwise.

until then my opinion on this subject remains constant :jedi:

clintmyster

Prophet 9 FTW
HSC
Uni Grad
even if maths was compulsory, it wouldn't change much because the majority of the state does at least general maths anyways. Cbb finding statistic haha.

Sarebs

HSC
In short... no.

General Maths = useful applications to life.
Mathematics = I will never use any of this except probability.

Sometimes I think maths can constrict the brain to a certain extent. There's mostly only one answer, and a prescribed way of doing it. Sometimes, you aren't required to think outside the box, just punch some numbers into a calculator. In comparison, English requires you to be flexible and creative.

After all this, I do love maths because this is the way it works. You're wrong or you're right, no in-between.

pman

Banned
HSC
If english is compulsery, you should either have to do 2 units of maths and 2 units of science, or make it compulsery to do either 2u of maths or 2u of english, and you can choos which, regardless of what other subjects you do!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)