Should Religous Schools Be Shut Down? (1 Viewer)

nick3157

Not Actually A Member
HSC
Is it fair to say that private religous schools are encouraging segregation in our society?

I belive that the only way to accept and embrace people of other cultures and backgrounds is to be exposed to them - how can a person who has never truly interacted with someone of a different culture, ever hope to understand or empathise with them? Surely the best time to learn tolerance is when you're growing up? And why should people who are happy to be educated in a multicultural environment subsidise those who aren't?

It seems to me (*personal opinion here, not fact*) that people can go through a school where they aren't exposed to different cultures, and when they finish and get out into the real world and meet different people, they perceive these people as a threat to their own culture and lash out. Having gone through school being removed from other cultures, suddenly having to deal with all sorts of different people they don't understand seems to frighten people. By educating all children through the one system, I would hope that some of the racism in Australia could be eliminated.

I understand that some minority groups believe that their lifestyle isn't compatible with the public education system, but the reality of life today is that you will eventually have to deal with people whose beliefs and culture are different to your own, and by removing yourself from these experiences at a young age, you are only disadvantaging yourself, and slowing the progression to a more multicultural society.

Do you agree? Disagree? I want to hear what other people think about this.

X

xeuyrawp

nick3157 said:
Is it fair to say that private religous schools are encouraging segregation in our society?
No?

There are certainly arguments against religious schools, but I don't really think that's one of them.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Nice thread start.

I don't have the biggest opinion about this, but I will contribute to the fact that yes, upon going to uni and meeting A LOT of catholic/christian (mostly shire/northern suburbs) highschool go-ers, they were actually shocked that I was atheist.

I mean shocked. Which also took my by surprise. I got spammed a bit via email about how I was breaking a commandment (honour thy mother and father) by moving out. Other than that, when they finally got over it, they were okay.

I don't believe that religious highschools shelter a student in a serious way, but I also don't think that christian schools should cry havoc when a muslim/chinese/whatever school is created.

Overall, I have a pretty apathetic opinion.

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
Yes, please ban them all. I'm getting sick of religious schools wanting to expand by building more and more, shoot, why you need more if we got enough already, I mean isn't our public schools enough for you religious nutheads? That is my opinion.

bassistx

HSC
Yes, ban anything religious.
If it weren't for religion, we wouldn't be in this mess. If you're smart enough, you can figure out what the "mess" is. A hint/link is the stuff you pump into your car.
Think of all the world wars and crap. If they weren't Jews, those people would've lived. Would you agree to ban religious stuff then to ensure their survival?

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
bassistx said:
Yes, ban anything religious.
If it weren't for religion, we wouldn't be in this mess. If you're smart enough, you can figure out what the "mess" is. A hint/link is the stuff you pump into your car.
Think of all the world wars and crap. If they weren't Jews, those people would've lived. Would you agree to ban religious stuff then to ensure their survival?

Just give them all to read Richard Richard Dawkins' - The god delusion

problem solved. :)

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
Religions are definitely overrepresented in educational institutions.

Take USyd for example. At O-week you will have noticed how organised and numerous the religious societies are compared to the lone newly established secular society (ok shameless plug). Then you have world youth day and other ridiculous attempts by the church to brainwash impressionable young souls.

The sheer number of private religious educational institutions is no coincidence. Religion is not just about belief in god but more significantly deploys the weapons of coercion through the individual's need for community and common identity.

Sorry about the incoherence I'm quite sleep deprived atm.

bassistx

HSC
Imagine, if we combined all the land and money in the world used for churchs, mosques, etc. Could we feed some people or what?

Matt1120

Basically a History Nerd
HSC
bassistx If they weren't Jews said:
Religion wasnt the main factor, Hitler steriotyped and killed an entire race becuse of the actions of some communist jews. So why steriotype all christians because a few go crazy when they hit the real world. By the way i am in a religious school, and i'd say we are 'exposed' to other cultures. By the way I dont call myself a christian but at the same time i dont say that God doesnt exist.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
If you closed down religious schools you'd have to replace them with public schools to great financial burden to the state governments. They all teach the secular curriculum and that's the important thing.

bassistx

HSC
Matt1120 said:
Yeah i realise that i'm just saying u cant do a hitler and steriotype a whole group of people
What the hell did I stereotype? I said if they weren't Jewish, they might have lived. I'm not bloody stereotyping!!
I'm talking about how religion can kill you (literally). Come Jesus, save us!

Enteebee said:
If you closed down religious schools you'd have to replace them with public schools to great financial burden to the state governments. They all teach the secular curriculum and that's the important thing.
You do realize that private schools will still exist and religious schools are private anyway?

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
I think the first principle of schools should be 'do no harm'. Most would agree.

So is telling children (under 7 particularly) something that any reasonable person realises is false, is the absolute truth of the world? I think so.

Basically there should be no religious schools, and more importantly no religion in schools, adults can be religious if we like, and we can laugh at them (and defile their holy books) if we like.

Obviously x% of children are going to arrive at school already having some of their parents beliefs foist upon them and that can't be changed.

In another thread I argued that this is essentially the same as children coming to school with say racist beliefs because their parents are say racist bogans; it's irrational and we shouldn't respect it just because of what parents believe.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
It's different to racism because for the most part as far as western 'belief' goes, no one really gets hurt (imo) anywhere near as much as they would allowing racism to go rampant.

Matt1120

Basically a History Nerd
HSC
bassistx said:
What the hell did I stereotype? I said if they weren't Jewish, they might have lived. I'm not bloody stereotyping!!
I'm talking about how religion can kill you (literally). Come Jesus, save us!
I wasnt directing it at u...i'm just making a comment about how people do steriotype christians. u just provided an example lol
I realise religion can kill.... but at the risk of steriotyping religion, there are a few that are willing to die for their faith

bassistx

HSC
Matt1120 said:
I realise religion can kill.... but at the risk of steriotyping religion, there are a few that are willing to die for their faith
They die anyway, no?
So in the end, it's stupid. No?

bassistx

HSC
Matt1120 said:
Not if they believe they are going to somewhere better
:headbang:

It doesn't matter where they go, they're still dead. And they're dying for something which they can't prove it right or wrong until they are in fact dead. I'm sorry, but that's just ridiculous to me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)