Should we reduce the refugee intake? (1 Viewer)

s_lide

HSC
N/A
if we let too many refugees in they'd be like the mexicans in the us

they'd be driving down wages for cashier, supermarket, house cleaning jobs

once they get naturalised they all vote for whatever party grants them 'amnesty' and delicious welfare.

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
if we let too many refugees in they'd be like the mexicans in the us

they'd be driving down wages for cashier, supermarket, house cleaning jobs

once they get naturalised they all vote for whatever party grants them 'amnesty' and delicious welfare.
lol. Comparing the millions of mexicans that flood over the border (usually through driving across the border... you know overstaying on their passport). to the what, 20k refugees we intake compared to the 300k+ working holiday people who actually work... yeah buddy, such a big issue in this country.

scuba_steve2121

On The Road To Serfdom
HSC
N/A
I understand where you are coming from, but throwing out impossible hypotheticals to come to a decision that involves literally 10000x less people is meaningless. By that logic I should conclude that all welfare systems are bad and that anything where an influx of people would have an affect should have further entry into it illegalised.

And do you consider paying tax stealing? It's a very immature perspective of what tax is and does for the economy.

You want to see roads built and fixed, but you don't want to pay the Government funds that would allow that to happen? You want to see less homeless people on the streets, but you don't want to pay the Government funds that would assist them in restarting their lives? You want to see more technological advancements in the country, but again, you don't want to provide the Government the funds to help that? This applies for so many other things such as the Defence Force, the education system, and even medical centres. The idea of tax is to provide the Government with a budget that could be used to increase the quality of life in the country. It's not simply evil fat cats stealing your money so they can up their own pay and buy more fast cars and big houses.

And while I agree with the weight of asylum seekers being quite material to the budget, I don't believe they are doing all they can to assure that asylum seekers can settle properly in the country and start contributing to society. If asylum seekers have an income cap of $500/wk, then what incentive is that for them to work hard and earn their living when they can get similar amounts of money for doing nothing? If I was told I can get a HD for nothing, or a HD for doing work, I'd take the HD for doing nothing even though I should be doing the work for the love of learning, etc. If the Government removed this cap and provided refugees with more assistance that would help them get jobs and move forward with their lives, then obviously the monetary burden that they are would become lessoned.

And do not bring morals into this, because if you are denying human beings the right to live and to be supported when they have lost everything without a single say, then that is undeniably and universally the most immoral action you can take. It almost sounds like you are against the concept of welfare entirely. Do you realise that if welfare was not to exist, then the poverty line in the country would rise dramatically? With the amount of people that welfare has helped out, the economy has prospered far more than it has faced deficit. If money is so important to you, then you need to realise where the money comes from, and what would happen if it would suddenly disappear.

Tax is not technically stealing, and neither is welfare. But if the way you view is as simple as "I earned this money, and someone is taking it away from me to help someone else", obviously no one will be able to change that.
Well welfare is bad

noy you don't need a government

and of course it's immoral it's still stealing moron - At least make taxation voluntary if you want to keep the state

And lastly Bullshit - nobody forced them to come to this country out of the other 190+ plus to choose from, so no I am not denying their right to life.

scuba_steve2121

On The Road To Serfdom
HSC
N/A
somebody read too much ayn rand.

Scuba steve, the asylum issue IS NOT an illegal immigration issue, that's why refugees get HUMANITARIAN visas/permanent residencies. Of course the government has to support them, what do you want australia to become? Some district 9 shithole? I also highly doubt 10 million refugees will just flood into Australia... stop using logical fallacies pl0x its getting annoying. Most refugees actually are in poor countries bordering conflict zones since thats where all the refugees head to after a conflict.

edit: since youre all about money scuba steve, do you think its wise to spend more money KEEPING people out and building offshore processing in PNG and East Timor, or is it ok in your mind if its cheaper to just let them in and support them?
The reason I said 10 million is to demonstrate the flaw in the current policy, the price of off OR onshore processing has no roof. Thus as I've explained you either let people in and don't give them anything, or you keep them out with force, if you are a strict believer in the idea of national sovereignty. As I libertarian I favour the former because I don't think anybody has a right to tell someone they can't live somewhere, unless of course the property is owned. As a white Australian I favour the latter because they’re mostly Muslims and I hate Muslims. THAT and Australia's population is far too big anyway for food security reasons.

If people in this country want to pay to help refuges, I won't stop them. Set up a charity for all I care. Just don't make me pay for it when it's NOT MY RESPONSIBILITY, and it's immoral to force it to be my responsibility.

I doesn't matter to me if a person comes here for economic reasons or to escape persecution, I just think it's immoral that I should be expected to pay for their livelihood.

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
Well welfare is bad

and of course it's immoral it's still stealing moron - At least make taxation voluntary if you want to keep the state

And lastly Bullshit - nobody forced them to come to this country out of the other 190+ plus to choose from, so no I am not denying their right to life.
I'll let that speak for your own integrity and intelligence, or rather lack thereof.

Last edited:

Garygaz

HSC
oh stfu how about you engage in discussion rather than quoting someone and adding a bland insult. I'm looking at the quote and trying to locate this apparent lack of intelligence and integrity, oh but, maybe I don't have any either!!? typical tall poppy, arm chair commentator.

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
Well welfare is bad

how many people would actually voluntarily pay tax though? And if they don't, how will the state have the money to provide basic services for the population?

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
how many people would actually voluntarily pay tax though? And if they don't, how will the state have the money to provide basic services for the population?
+1... No one would pay tax I they had the option.

Garygaz

HSC
that's one of the key ideas of libertarians, let private enterprise more efficiently provide services to the populace.

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
that's one of the key ideas of libertarians, let private enterprise more efficiently provide services to the populace.
out of curiousity, has this ever been implemented in practice and if so, how did it work out?

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
out of curiousity, has this ever been implemented in practice and if so, how did it work out?
Do you mean in its entirety or specific sectors of the public service that exists now? If you mean the former, I'm not aware of any such society existing, but I think it might have at some point. It does ring a bell. If you mean the latter, I can't think of any real situation to really say whether it's happened before, at least in a way that can translate to the modern setting. For example, in some cases, policing used to be private and was more of an administrative role in early (I'm talking late 18thC, early 19thC if not earlier) America. Any transgressors of the law were apprehended by the community at large. You can imagine why this model would never in any realistic setting work in a modern suburb or city. Does this mean a private police force couldn't be assembled? Nope. Does this mean a public police force is automatically inferior? Nope.

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
oh stfu how about you engage in discussion rather than quoting someone and adding a bland insult. I'm looking at the quote and trying to locate this apparent lack of intelligence and integrity, oh but, maybe I don't have any either!!? typical tall poppy, arm chair commentator.
"Welfare is bad"

It's far worse to have a rising poverty line than to have people living on benefits with the assumption that a reasonable % of these are looking for employment. Even pensions to refugees and seniors have their benefits economically, such as the existence of spending, even if in little amounts, stimulating the economy. It doesn't take a genius to recognise that small amounts being spent in the economy is better than no amounts. Beyond that, welfare takes a significant part in improving the quality of life for many individuals, including students who would one day become greater contributors to society. Their future contribution in tax payments will likely pay-back their time on welfare and then some. Furthermore, without welfare, those looking for employment may end up in situations where out of desperateness they seek employment which is greatly under-utilising their skills. Under-utilising your employees' skills is both corporately and economically inefficient. Obviously there will be people who abuse welfare payments, like dole bludgers for example, but they are not the majority of people who require welfare assistance.

"No you don't need a government"

Does this really need explaining? I wonder where social order will come from? It only takes one aggressor to ruin a system without laws, regulators, and enforcers. I'm sorry if I sound cynical, but I don't believe humans can learn to peacefully coexist with each other. What the government does is necessary, and even if it's not democratically elected, it's likely some form of government will be in play in any society. Customary law concepts such as respecting the elders' judgements is still a form of government - their will is the way. Anarchy is the only result without governments, and a country simply cannot hope to progress and/or compete in a global market/economy without a government. It's all well and good to suggest that private enterprises will act in the intention of social well-being, but there's no guarantee that it would happen. And in all seriousness, even if private enterprises do somehow band together, that in itself is some form of Government. Moreover, who is stop or prevent the private enterprises from abusing their power as the providers to society?

"At least make taxation voluntary"

Oh please, even I, someone who can understand the necessity for tax wouldn't pay tax if it was optional. Yes, I identify that as hypocritical too, but keeping 100% of my pay packet is always going to be more appealing than needing to sacrifice some. That goes without saying that the economy would collapse without the Government having funds to spend and invest, general infrastructure in the country goes down the drain, social welfare is gone (to your satisfaction), medical centres, aged-care facilities, disability care, education facilities, the defence force, public services (such as transport) are all gone at the same time.

Libertarianism works in theory, as do all theories, but realistically speaking, it would only work where there is one society, not many that are all mostly heterogeneous.

EDIT: Sorry for insulting and not discussing.

Last edited:

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
It's far worse to have a rising poverty line than to have people living on benefits with the assumption that a reasonable % of these are looking for employment. Even pensions to refugees and seniors have their benefits economically, such as the existence of spending, even if in little amounts, stimulating the economy. It doesn't take a genius to recognise that small amounts being spent in the economy is better than no amounts.
Welfare is derived from taxation which, on the most part, is taken from individuals and businesses income. You can just as well argue in this incredibly limited scope that by not taxing people as much, or at all, that same money would be spent or reinvested elsewhere. This is not a good argument for welfare.

Beyond that, welfare takes a significant part in improving the quality of life for many individuals, including students who would one day become greater contributors to society. Their future contribution in tax payments will likely pay-back their time on welfare and then some.
This is a much better argument to support welfare. However, instead of the current system of "if you mean requirement x, you get payment y" and that being the end of it, could we not reduce the tax burden of everyone and limit these situations to a direct partnership between the individual in question and the state? For example, a student could accept welfare under the condition they will repay it within some sort of conditions and timeframe in the future.

Furthermore, without welfare, those looking for employment may end up in situations where out of desperateness they seek employment which is greatly under-utilising their skills. Under-utilising your employees' skills is both corporately and economically inefficient.
I don't quite understand. Are you saying that if a person can't find employment in the field they think they are qualified for, instead of obtaining any employment below their expectations, they should obtain welfare instead? That sounds unreasonable and although you're correct that it's best to operate at peak efficiency, it's not always possible. It would much better serve (literally) everyone's interest if someone chooses to be employed when they can be instead of entering the welfare system.

Obviously there will be people who abuse welfare payments, like dole bludgers for example, but they are not the majority of people who require welfare assistance.
I agree. However, that doesn't mean they should be disregarded either.

I wonder where social order will come from? It only takes one aggressor to ruin a system without laws, regulators, and enforcers.
Social order comes from individuals. The omnipresent threat of retribution isn't the only thing holding society together. Would you go out to murder and burgle if there were no government laws that said you weren't allowed to? That's not to say that the current system is inherently flawed, but there is an all too common conflation that the state and government is society. That couldn't be further from the truth.

What the government does is necessary, and even if it's not democratically elected, it's likely some form of government will be in play in any society.
Resigning yourself to the inevitability of governance doesn't automatically legitimise the actions of the state. Surely you don't believe that whatever the government does in any respect is legitimate? What if there was a law that required the extermination of particular race groups? Unless you mean in the form of taxation which arrives at a similar logical conclusion: what if there was an 80% tax for particular groups of society? What I'm getting at here is what if there were better ways to go about taxation? What if we could reduce the tax burden of everyone in society and reach similar, if not better, outcomes?

It's all well and good to suggest that private enterprises will act in the intention of social well-being, but there's no guarantee that it would happen. And in all seriousness, even if private enterprises do somehow band together, that in itself is some form of Government. Moreover, who is stop or prevent the private enterprises from abusing their power as the providers to society
Who is to stop the government from abusing its power "as the providers to society"? I don't agree with the situation you've outlined but enterprises are beholden to consumers. They are beholden to stakeholders. They lose business, money, time and effort if they don't fulfil the demands laid out by individuals (assuming of course there are competitors to those enterprises). What does the state lose by ignoring its constituents? Nothing, really. It just has individuals hand over command to others. The government and those a part of it regularly abuse its authority.

"At least make taxation voluntary"

Oh please, even I, someone who can understand the necessity for tax wouldn't pay tax if it was optional. Yes, I identify that as hypocritical too, but keeping 100% of my pay packet is always going to be more appealing than needing to sacrifice some. That goes without saying that the economy would collapse without the Government having funds to spend and invest, general infrastructure in the country goes down the drain, social welfare is gone (to your satisfaction), medical centres, aged-care facilities, disability care, education facilities, the defence force, public services (such as transport) are all gone at the same time.
Yep, that's correct. That's what would happen if we were declared stateless overnight. However, scaling back the state shouldn't be out of the question. It should be gradual and reasonable. Some of the things you've mentioned are already provided on private models. In some cases it's not entirely possible to provide them on private models and therein lies the value of the state and taxation. Public transport, especially in places like Sydney is a prime example. It's not possible to run a transport system profitably in our case. Would I prefer we spend a bunch of money on making new trains (inb4 autism) and buses and assisting people get from point A to point B than on useless stuff like giving political parties money for winning elections? You bet. I think you would too.

I'm one of the advocates for limiting government on this forum, but I do see uses for the state. I do think taxation is theft and is therefore intrinsically obtained immorally, but that doesn't mean we can't be pragmatic about this stuff.

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
Welfare is derived from taxation which, on the most part, is taken from individuals and businesses income. You can just as well argue in this incredibly limited scope that by not taxing people as much, or at all, that same money would be spent or reinvested elsewhere. This is not a good argument for welfare.

This is a much better argument to support welfare. However, instead of the current system of "if you mean requirement x, you get payment y" and that being the end of it, could we not reduce the tax burden of everyone and limit these situations to a direct partnership between the individual in question and the state? For example, a student could accept welfare under the condition they will repay it within some sort of conditions and timeframe in the future.

I don't quite understand. Are you saying that if a person can't find employment in the field they think they are qualified for, instead of obtaining any employment below their expectations, they should obtain welfare instead? That sounds unreasonable and although you're correct that it's best to operate at peak efficiency, it's not always possible. It would much better serve (literally) everyone's interest if someone chooses to be employed when they can be instead of entering the welfare system.

I agree. However, that doesn't mean they should be disregarded either.

Social order comes from individuals. The omnipresent threat of retribution isn't the only thing holding society together. Would you go out to murder and burgle if there were no government laws that said you weren't allowed to? That's not to say that the current system is inherently flawed, but there is an all too common conflation that the state and government is society. That couldn't be further from the truth.

Resigning yourself to the inevitability of governance doesn't automatically legitimise the actions of the state. Surely you don't believe that whatever the government does in any respect is legitimate? What if there was a law that required the extermination of particular race groups? Unless you mean in the form of taxation which arrives at a similar logical conclusion: what if there was an 80% tax for particular groups of society? What I'm getting at here is what if there were better ways to go about taxation? What if we could reduce the tax burden of everyone in society and reach similar, if not better, outcomes?

Who is to stop the government from abusing its power "as the providers to society"? I don't agree with the situation you've outlined but enterprises are beholden to consumers. They are beholden to stakeholders. They lose business, money, time and effort if they don't fulfil the demands laid out by individuals (assuming of course there are competitors to those enterprises). What does the state lose by ignoring its constituents? Nothing, really. It just has individuals hand over command to others. The government and those a part of it regularly abuse its authority.

Yep, that's correct. That's what would happen if we were declared stateless overnight. However, scaling back the state shouldn't be out of the question. It should be gradual and reasonable. Some of the things you've mentioned are already provided on private models. In some cases it's not entirely possible to provide them on private models and therein lies the value of the state and taxation. Public transport, especially in places like Sydney is a prime example. It's not possible to run a transport system profitably in our case. Would I prefer we spend a bunch of money on making new trains (inb4 autism) and buses and assisting people get from point A to point B than on useless stuff like giving political parties money for winning elections? You bet. I think you would too.

I'm one of the advocates for limiting government on this forum, but I do see uses for the state. I do think taxation is theft and is therefore intrinsically obtained immorally, but that doesn't mean we can't be pragmatic about this stuff.
Only insomuch as they are given the adequate time to find a job that would better utilise their skills. I don't advocate permanent unemployment benefits, perhaps a system similar to that in France (I think?) where the unemployment package is based on a depreciating % of your previous salary would be better.

I appreciate the feedback, but I'm done on this thread. I can see that I'm starting to get too personal and my inability to see eye-to-eye with responders is starting to get too hostile. Aside from that we've strayed very far from the topic of the OP.

I understand the desire to free yourself from the government's grasp, but I believe they provide necessary stability. As you suggested, I don't believe that everything they do represents society's best interests, neither do I believe the government is 100% legitimate. Everything is after all, based on a majority verdict which means that there are those who are naturally unrepresented. Of course, I would be opposed to laws that advocate discrimination and extermination, although the possibilities of it happening at such dramatic levels would be unlikely in Australia with the strict processes of passing a legislation (though that is not to say some embarrassing clauses haven't been passed). Yes, I agree that tax laws should be changed, but I cannot see any reason for them to be voluntary or abolished altogether. Governments at the least have a responsibility to engage in social projects for the benefit of quality of life, among other things which require tax revenue. Even though the tax money may not be spent 100% responsibly, and that of course is subject to the individual's perception of what responsible spending would constitute, the projects and infrastructure/R&D investments that do bid well for the economy and quality of life I believe are necessary. I agree that pragmatism should be applied to all issues the government deals with, but I don't believe getting rid of the government body altogether would be better ensure it. If you view taxes as theft, then that is your opinion entirely. But to deny that taxes have a purpose that would benefit all members of society (you inclusive) directly or indirectly is, I think, a case of misunderstanding or poor judgement. And of course, that is my own opinion entirely :)

Last edited:

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
Do you mean in its entirety or specific sectors of the public service that exists now? If you mean the former, I'm not aware of any such society existing, but I think it might have at some point. It does ring a bell. If you mean the latter, I can't think of any real situation to really say whether it's happened before, at least in a way that can translate to the modern setting. For example, in some cases, policing used to be private and was more of an administrative role in early (I'm talking late 18thC, early 19thC if not earlier) America. Any transgressors of the law were apprehended by the community at large. You can imagine why this model would never in any realistic setting work in a modern suburb or city. Does this mean a private police force couldn't be assembled? Nope. Does this mean a public police force is automatically inferior? Nope.
I meant in terms of a society where taxation as a whole was voluntary, so the former would be more relevant

Frostbitten

HSC
With the amount of money wasted by our governments on stupid shit like student laptops which were absolutely terrible, I'm not too concerned on putting money towards something which will be used and still in our economy such as more welfare.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)