Single sex schools vs coed (1 Viewer)

selablad

HSC
Single-sex school, with strong links to the corresponding boys' school. It's a nice compromise I think, because we can do academic stuff on our own but we have lots of musical groups and things together, and most people have heaps of friends at the other school anyway. So it's good :)

housah0lic

Dr Greenthumb
HSC
hmm.
i have been in co-ed public, co-ed catholic, and single-sex private.

co-ed public was rubbish. didn't learn anything.
co-ed catholic was better, and while i must admit it was so much fun i still didn't learn shit. my school was similar to JKhoury's in that it was single sex up until senior years and then it was co-ed. the boys weren't used to the girls and did really stupid things. eg. a pact was to make every girl in the year cry. fuckers didn't succeed. but once they got over their immaturity they were fun.
still didnt learn shit cos they were disruptive in classroom etc.
private all girls, where i'm at now, is so far the best academically. obviously, there is bitchiness and whatever, but it's a lot more motivating in my opinion.

but i reckon almost above all, it really depends on where you go and the type of people in your class.
like the first two schools were in bankstown and revesby. seriously lmao. full of pretty silly people. they were there just to nest and couldn't give a shit less about class.

so yehhhhh

me121

Premium Member
HSC
housah0lic said:
but i reckon almost above all, it really depends on where you go and the type of people in your class.
like the first two schools were in bankstown and revesby. seriously lmao. full of pretty silly people. they were there just to nest and couldn't give a shit less about class.

so yehhhhh
yeh. i really agree with that.

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
selablad said:
Single-sex school, with strong links to the corresponding boys' school. It's a nice compromise I think, because we can do academic stuff on our own but we have lots of musical groups and things together, and most people have heaps of friends at the other school anyway. So it's good :)
Aren't all single-sex schools like this though? Brother / sister schools that have musicals, dances, and formals together?

Traditionally single-sex schools have created the most 'successful' people in life (just look at the alumni list at Sydney Grammar, Sydney Girls and the like). However in the academic context (which is where this thread is moving in the direction of) then generally:

Girls perform better at all-girl schools than in co-ed.
Boys perform better at co-ed schools than in all-boys.

Just look at the top 15 list of schools in SMH/DT each year. I think it goes (for all-girls schools)

North Sydney Girls, Sydney Girls, Hornsby Girls, Ascham, SCEGGS Darlinghurst

Whereas all-boys only have: Sydney Boys, Sydney Grammar, North Sydney Boys.

I might have missed some out, so cross-reference if you wish :)

smushieex

HSC
^I had a PE teacher once who always used to bag out the guys in my class, saying that girls are smarter than guys? LOL. Because we were in the top class; the majority were girls and there were only about 6 guys.

Anus McLovin

HSC
smushieex said:
^I had a PE teacher once who always used to bag out the guys in my class, saying that girls are smarter than guys? LOL. Because we were in the top class; the majority were girls and there were only about 6 guys.
In my primary schools (i went to O.C. for year 5 &6 ), the boys were significantly smarter than girls in terms of ratio. In my first primary school, the top class had 26 boys and 4 girls. The second highest was bout 12 boys, 18 girls and there was a bottom class of 12 girls 3 boys.

In O.C. where it was meant to be 15-15, we had 19 boys and 11 girls. The girls in the class were smart, but there were just a lot more guys.

As for the original Co-Ed/Single Sex, i'd say the best arrangement is a co-ed school with single-sex classes. The next best alternative is two single sex schools sharing common ground (i.e. the case with Sydney Boys/Girls, Randwick Boys/Girls etc.). After than i reckon Coed, and coming in last is single sex schools, where you rarely interact with the opposite sex.

jayciiee

yallah shoe cuz byeee
HSC
single sex.

its funny to see girls who go absolutely off-nuts when they see a boy.

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
many have said that at uni people can see at a glance the difference between a well rounded, social co-ed alumni, and a daddys boy private school guy who has not actually interacted with females who are not either teachers, or directly related to him.

co ed all the way

benn07

HSC
Academically: single sex
Socially: coed
My school used to be single sex, but then two merged together, i can safely say they had better results when it was single sex, but people are happier with it being coed!

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Single-sex.

It's better academically and the atmosphere is more relaxed. We also hold a lot of socials with the local single-sex boy highschools and it's not like we don't have a social life that excludes guys outside of school :p

michael1990

HSC
annabackwards said:
Single-sex.

It's better academically and the atmosphere is more relaxed. We also hold a lot of socials with the local single-sex boy highschools and it's not like we don't have a social life that excludes guys outside of school :p
I was told by my dentist that its a more fierce atmosphere, because each person wants to do better. (because its either males against males or females against females, not males verus females).

fernando

Poo
HSC
N/A
single sexed school girls tend to be more despo coming out of high school and into uni and also put out more..

probably not a bad thing for some people

Last edited:

Chinmoku03

Ippen, Shin de Miru?
HSC
Went to all guys school and hated it. I think half of them turned gay before graduation, for one reason or another -.-;

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
Well I've been at a single sex school through all of High School...
Really didn't bother me coz I know that academically, the lack of guys meant I was able to focus.
Would have been schweet going co-ed, BUT I would be so distracted. INSANELY distracted.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
michael1990 said:
I was told by my dentist that its a more fierce atmosphere, because each person wants to do better. (because its either males against males or females against females, not males verus females).
Perhaps but when it's excursions and well other activities some things we do wouldn't happen if it was a co-ed school... or I at least hope it wouldn't. And I think I would want to do better if it was co-ed or single sex anyway- I have since primary school so I don't think that would change anyway aha

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)