bladeys

HSC
N/A
Change x+3/x+1 to 1 + [2/(x+1)] and graph from there

Alkanes

HSC
There is no polynomial division in 2U.

I'm not sure of 2U way, but you should know that there is a restriction on x = -1.

bladeys

HSC
N/A
There is no polynomial division in 2U.

I'm not sure of 2U way, but you should know that there is a restriction on x = -1.
Oh sorry,
Find the vertical asymptote which is x = -1
Find the horizontal asymptote which is y =1 (basically just find the limit of the function)
Find the y intercept which is 3
and then graph the usual shape of a hyperbola from there

Fawun

Queen
HSC
Hey people!
So like yeah I forgot how to sketch hyperbolas like these ones :
You make the denominator equal to 0 so x+1 = 0 so x = -1 (that's your vertical asymptote)
The horizontal asymptote is 1 because of the coefficients of x or you can find the limit of it.

Then you find the x and y intercepts by subbing in y = 0 and x = 0

and then graph it :)

I think.

HSC
The 2U way is easier IMO since you still need to find intercepts and everything with the function 1+2/(x+1), whereas if you do it straight off with x+3/(x+1) you get it.

D94

HSC
N/A
Question, how is this more superior than to just sub in x = 0, y = 0, x -> ±infinity, and finding the vertical asymptote?

You will still need to do what I just said to the 2/(x+1) term. The only real advantage is that you'll see the horizontal asymptote immediately (although, just subbing in large numbers is still an effective method).

HSC
Question, how is this more superior than to just sub in x = 0, y = 0, x -> ±infinity, and finding the vertical asymptote?

You will still need to do what I just said to the 2/(x+1) term. The only real advantage is that you'll see the horizontal asymptote immediately (although, just subbing in large numbers is still an effective method).
^ Exactly what I wanted to say.

HSC

It's not really, just an alternative method for people to recognise it as simply a hyperbola shifted up one units and two to the left.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)